Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1993.5 5 speed. i'm about to turbo it but like all of us i wanna have more top end. i'm thinking about putting in 3.73's in the rear end but i can't find any online. does anybody know a website that sells these gears or is there another way. i do know about the gs300 swap but that sounds expensive and i'm on a 4000 budget for the turbo kit and gear swap ya know. much appreciated for the help!

·
Registered
329 Posts
get the rear diff out of an sc400l. its a 3.78 gear. you can find the whole pumpkin for under 200 bucks. i bought an entire rear subframe with the diff for 175. after that get an lsd and youre set.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
TT auto rear end is 3.73.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
I think you may quickly realize that you will need a slightly higher budget. If you are keeping the factory 5 sp tranny (or even the auto) there is no need to upgrade tho lower gears in the rear. You will just loose accelaration and gain top speed which you will never see with the power levels you will be at.

but for FUTURE reference, i think after you swap trannys you will find the GS400 (3.26 gears) a very good way to go.

·
2JZ-GET Single
127 Posts
I would like to do this as well. I have about 450whp Na-T and first and second gear is useless. I cant enjoy it because of the wheel spin and you only have a split second to get it out of second before you are eating a rev limiter.
Do you need to get the speed sensor from the sc400 also to make the speedo accurate?

·
On call 24/7
1,569 Posts
Welcome to the turbo world. lol. Even with 3.7 gearing your 1st n 2nd gear is blah. I have the Auto TT rear end..and 1st is total useless but 2nd is somewhat bearable.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
you will need a digital speed converter no matter what route you go as long as you are not stock tranny and diff which the stock speedo is calibrated to. But no, it is not from the lexus, you will need something like a dakotadigital.com unit. it was like 80 bucks

as far as ratios and all that, i again will state that unless the tranny is being swapped there is no need to even consider the rear end.

i have the gs400 (3.23) rear in my car with the v160 6spd and even my 1st gear is useless, 2nd is ok but spins spins spins. but in reality, they really arent useless gears, slap on a set of MT ET streets and see how much time you will spend in those 2 gears once you have traction.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
just to get you an idea of what i was talking about with the MT ET streets on the back of the gs400 rear and a v160, i ran an 11.70 last time out at the track at 123or124 mph with a 1.74 60' i believe. it just goes to show that when needed, the 1st and 2nd arent really useless.

what is useless is having a top speed of 200+ mph knowing you will NEVER see it, lol.

·
Speed limits = Guidelines
1,964 Posts
just to get you an idea of what i was talking about with the MT ET streets on the back of the gs400 rear and a v160, i ran an 11.70 last time out at the track at 123or124 mph with a 1.74 60' i believe. it just goes to show that when needed, the 1st and 2nd arent really useless.

what is useless is having a top speed of 200+ mph knowing you will NEVER see it, lol.
200 is a bit much, im happy with 180...probly not gonna be going 180, but with gears like that, highway speed wont fall in the 4k rpm range like it does now...right now im at redline at about 130-135

very annoying cruising at 4k rpm for an hour straight

for those of use that arent drag racing, high ratios are better

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
So if I have a 94 NA-T 5speed, my 1st and 2nd gear will be useless?

If I put a 94 TT auto rear end with my 5speed, 1st and 2nd will be a little better? My top end will increase or decrease?

Trying to help a friend out with a 94 NA 5speed. He will be going turbo soon and trying to help him make some informed decisions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts