Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Duc
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've search all the threads and haven't found a definite answer.

If I have an engine completely stock from factory, which headgasket has never blown, with lower kms should I re-torque?

So it'll have the stock headgasket with head bolts torqued at 50 something lbs..whatever the stock torque is

1) Should I retorque and if so to how much?
2) Do I need to loosen and then tighten?

Remember all stock components, never touched.
Thanks.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
Two schools of thought on this.

1.Removing torque from a gasket that has been torqued down for 15+ years and retorging could be a problem. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2. Retorqing could save you from having a BHG in the future.

I have struggled with this issue as well.

I am really considering replacing mine with the OEM composite and ARP studs and calling it a day.

Good luck with what you decide.

Dan

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
i heard retorque doesnt work for most people, if it doesnt have BHG just leave it till it blows and u replace the HG and torque it down with ARP bolts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There are two schools of thought on this one:
1) Do NOT back the bolt out.
2) Back the head bolt out 1/4 turn.

The problem with 1 is you have to somehow over come the initial fiction to get an accurate reading. So take this option if you feel you can effectively do this

The problem with 2 is you might break the factory head gasket seal. But you do at least get an accurate torque reading. Chose this one if your a gambler. I personally don't like the risk. Your head gasket is good and this method might mess it up

The standard that everybody torques there’s to is 75 ft-lb, you can torque it higher but it has been shown that 75 is sufficient.

EDIT: Damn you guys are fast

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
take 6 hours on a Saturday and replace that thing because odds are if it is not leaking and/or never has, the surfaces are both in great shape..... but if you wait and it gets pitted then you'll have to resurface the block too...... besides you're probably due for a timing belt, water pump, and hose/belts then you trouble free summer supra driving bliss : >'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts