Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought differential fluid from the dealership. I was wondering if I got the right one and if it'll work. I got the "Sta-Lube Limited-Slip Hypoid SAE 80W90 Gear Oil API/GL-5* Plus." Do I really need the 75W90? What else do you guys recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey do you live in Alaska? According to the Supra Owner's manual and the factory manual 80w-90 API GL-5 Hypoid Gear Oil is the winter stuff (0 degrees F). For above O degrees the good book recommends a straight SAE 90. Hey that is what the factory says. I am trying to get some info on some Redline "shockproof" that will make me comfortable with it but have not gotten a response yet. Until then I use what the manual says.:)
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that's what I thought. So today, I bought the Redline 75W90NS. Is this the right one? Is it true that the differential does not need friction modifiers? I called Redline just to make sure and they told me to get the regular 75W90 (w/ friction modifiers). However, on the back of the bottle, is said something about additives for the LSD, which is bad for the differential. Now I am comfused. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm really tired of going back and forth buying/returning things. Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess I got the right one since the 75W90NS does not have friction modifiers according to Redline. I guess I'm going to put it in tonight. Thanks for the advice Andi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts