Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking of the diff yesterday, had all the axle bolts undone, and 3 of the mounting bolts, then blaam, on the one that goes vertical through the bottom of the frame, somehting....snapped.
Now the bolt hangs there, and when I try to turn it loose,it holds as if caught on something, then i here a loud clang and the bolt turns a 1/4 turn or so. There is free play up down left and right, but itwont move really at all.
I'm guessing I broke the nut or whatever that was welded to the frame that held the bolt in place? any ideas or helpo would be great. Kinda hard to get my car done wiht a differential that won't come out, nor be able to be mounted properly.
If I explained it poorly, I'll try again if I confuse you all.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Yawgmoth said:
I was taking of the diff yesterday, had all the axle bolts undone, and 3 of the mounting bolts, then blaam, on the one that goes vertical through the bottom of the frame, somehting....snapped.
Now the bolt hangs there, and when I try to turn it loose,it holds as if caught on something, then i here a loud clang and the bolt turns a 1/4 turn or so. There is free play up down left and right, but itwont move really at all.
I'm guessing I broke the nut or whatever that was welded to the frame that held the bolt in place? any ideas or helpo would be great. Kinda hard to get my car done wiht a differential that won't come out, nor be able to be mounted properly.
If I explained it poorly, I'll try again if I confuse you all.
Saw off the head of the bolt and then get a new nut and bolt? thats all i can suggested, aight good luck, peace

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I cut the bolt off, there is no way to secure another not inside the frame, becuase its closed off (like a sqaure pipe). If I do cut it off, my only alternative would be to a)find a way to bolt a bolt into nothing....? b) weld the differnetial in place. a doens't make sense, and b seems likea a bad idea if my diff fucks up

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
dude,

time to seek professional help.... you'r gonna have to get someone t a local frame&alignment shop look at it and give you some alternatives/solutions. If you end up fastening it back up poorly, you may end up REALLY regretting it later. Spend the $$ and get it done right......

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Best solution would be to yank the subframe and weld a new nut in place (as well as inspect the others). Easy if the car is salt-free - big deal if it's not.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I literally feel like shit. FOR SERIOUS, is there any other solutions out there? I am getting ready to head outside to start removing the sub frame to swap it with my other car, but my other car is outside, and its gonna snow tommorow......fuck I am fuct

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about just removing/replacing the subframe. That's alot of work, but the best insurance!! You're gonna need an alignment after that.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts