Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought all 6 speed differentials had limited slip. I had my car on the lift and when I spin one tire the other tire doesn't move. Does this mean I don't have or have limited slip. Sorry, but I couldn't find a postive answer in my searches.

Note: differential only has 9K miles on it

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Normally the other wheel will move in the opposite direction like a std diff will. The Torsen diff doesn't work like other LSD's and you cannot easily tell if the diff is a Torsen diff or not. On supraforums.com.au there was this posted about the torsen diff testing for a torsen diff. Don't know if its correct though:

Rear wheels are in the air.
- 3 guys - 2 holding the wheels, 1 rotating the tailshaft
- As tailshaft is rotated, and 1 wheel is turned, the guy on the opposite wheel simply cannot hold the other wheel - it will turn by force. But if the other wheel is not turned i.e. tailshaft turned, but no wheels on ground, then other wheel turns in opposite direction (like a normal diff).

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
the torsen diff is a very unique diff, unlike most it has no clutch packs. It uses friction from the helical gears to generate it's locking. From the outside of the car, it operates just like a regular diff, so don't expect it to do anything different. Also, just so you know, you won't see a clutch pack type diff operate any differently than a regular diff since the clutch pack engages by a centrifugal force or a delta in the axle speeds. The torsen diff is a pretty unique animal, no maintance (unlike clutch pack types that wear). If you look at one, all the helical gears, etc... pretty impressive.

The way you can tell is get in a straight line and leave a little rubber, but have no worries you have LSD.

-M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts