Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just finished rebuilding my differential. I did a swap to the 3.73 from the 3.91. Much better driving rpm's and no more clunking and clicking from my old one. I am going to do a full write up on how to rebuild it and it will be posted under the project section of my site. The TSRM calls for a preload of around 17 inch/lbs. and my stock one was 2 inch/lbs! Even the least amount of preload for a used differential is at like 6 or 8 inch/lbs. I have many many pictures to go with my write up. Just thought I would share my accomplishment because the car feels like a new car without all the chattering and carrying on out back. Late.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding, it is a win/win situation: Traction, Better Gas Mileage, and Better rpm's for highway. It actually feels like I have a better low end cause it puts more stress on engine, making more exhaust gases, therefore spooling turbo quicker.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to purchase all of these items separately: 8x Clutch Plates, 10x Thrust Washers, 1x Spider Gear Spring, Front and Rear Pinion Gear Bearings, 2x Carrier Bearings, 1x Oil Slinger, 1x Pinion Bearing Spacer, 1x Pinion Gear Oil Seal, 2x Axle Sprocket Seals. I believe there aren't any rebuild kits out there, but the rebuild was pretty straigt foward. You need a heavy duty press for the Rear Pinion Gear Bearing Race, believe me. Ohh and one more thing Lead to smear on your ring gear teeth in 3 different places and run it foward and backward and see how it is cutting. I got lucky and it cut perfect first try.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Wow, not bad. Did you take the 3.901 out of a different diff, or did you buy that new from the dealer for the rebuild. And what did all of that cost? A fresh diff would be nice.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, since my car is my daily driver I didn't want to have alot of down time, I bought another Differential for $150, which it was an 89 Turbo LSD (3.73). I then disassembled it and got the case sand blasted and then prepped and painted it and used ospho before painting because it had rust from the start. I have all my receipts and I will add everything up and get back to you on the cost, but it was fairly cheap.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No prob. hey I did a mental add and I believe everything you need to rebuild it will cost you about $350.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts