Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of fiberglass is good for making hood, fenders, side skirts, front, back, etc. because i want to make something creative. and i want to know what kind of fiber glass is good for which part of the car. thanks
jason:D

G

·
two kinds of glass that can be had , H and S. H is the standard everyday stuff that 90% of all kits are mode from. S glass is used to be a mil spec only material wich is much closer in property to Kevlar then H glass, cost is @ 20X that of H glass though... what will really make the difference is the resin you use WITH the matrix ( glass) polyester is the weakest , it does not take heat and tends to crack very easily, it shrinks @ 15% when cured so reach pc heeds to be done in a mold or on the vehicle in this case. Vinylester is better, it's more money but offers you less shrikage better shock absorbsion and a harder overall composite.. Epoxy is the best, it shrinks @ 3% when cured, can be heat cured to stand up to 300 degrees( standard low temp epoxy ) and is almost bullet proof when used with 'technical fibers' like CF and kevlar, ( it's also the only resin that truly works with CF in terms of bonding with it).. the price is @ 10x that of polyester and @ 7x that of vinyl.

use H glass with Vinylester if you plan to do this as a hood and any other place that gets impacts from debris.

G

·
P-P requires that you have a cold room large enoguht to store the fabric or that you have an autoclave that can heat and pressureize the material. ( depending on what type of pre-preg you go with. Also, P-P is only possible with epoxy, none of the others have the properties to be stable at room or close to room temp with the cure agent in. Pre-preg is also only used with carbon fiber or CF hybird materials..

·
2,279 Posts
Whats the "blue fiberglass" stuff all about? It's all flexible and crap. How is it classified?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
outofstep said:
Whats the "blue fiberglass" stuff all about? It's all flexible and crap. How is it classified?
just another line of cheap shit,it's actually gelcoat you're talking about,if you ever pay attention,all hi-line bodykits are still made with white gelcoat,i think only C-West makes theirs in black,cause it's easier to see bubbles when you're rolling.

·
2,279 Posts
But isnt it better to have a flexible fiberglass kit? Not shattering seems better to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts