Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need to order a radiator for my 95tt th400 car asap. but after searching ,i come up with different answers on what is a direct drop in and which ones that need to be modded to fit.

my needs are just a upgrade direct drop in that will use the stock fans and shroud/cap/hoses/etc/etc. the cheapest i found that i can get asap is the koyo for $390 shipped and states dierect drop in and uses stock cap.true? pro's /cons? hpf has the fluidyne on clearance $489 w/out a cap. i still have the stock thermostat[180 degrees and 1.1 bar cap] brand new.

any input on what your guys experiences are on your fitment /brand? :ugh2:

p.s. i also found a plastic koyo from radiators.com for $169 shipped but sounds scary.

·
Doin' the Monster Mash
156 Posts
I have a 57mm PWR Radiator fitted to my car and it is indeed a "drop-in" replacement. However that being said you need to remove a few things to be able to fit it (you put them back in afterwards) except for the clips that hold down the radiator, they need to be slightly shaved in order to fit the new mountings.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Go on ebay for a better price on the koyo's. I got mine for $325 +S&H. It supposed is a direct drop in, but I'm putting it in Friday, so I can let you know for certain then.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
there was a thread few days ago on this subject, try to do a search,PWR imho looks the best, it's almost twice as thick as koyo or fluidyne

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Damn, I didn't realize that PWR's is that much thicker. I checked it out on MVP, here's the link, and it also does state that the PWR is not a direct drop in:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateE.asp?SubFolderID=201&SearchYN=N

I have heard of 1000+ HP Supras running on the Fluidyne's, but for the same price as the bigger PWR, I'm not certain which way I'd go. I'm going to measure the thickness on my Koyo tomorrow when I get home. I'll let you know what it measures.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you really Really want a direct drop in get the Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator. Thats what I got on mines. Uses all the factory stuff fan shoud and the electric one also. Also, while you are at it, install the 13" spal fan in the front on the a/c condensor. Perfect fit and the wires are already there.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Where did you mount the tranny cooler NooB? I had to lose my OEM push fan when I put my FMIC in and had to reroute the power steering cooler lines where the fan was (which is why I couldn't use the 13" spal fan). I got the 7.5" spal and fluidyne tranny cooler instead and will figure out a place to put that stuff Friday when I pull my front end off (I'm also installing Boost Logic's upgraded A340. By the way, I checked the ebay ad where I bought my Koyo from, and it's says the core is 2-1/16" thick or 52mm. I'll confirm that tomorrow.

·
=====JINUS
215 Posts
installed KOYO

just plug and play very fit no problem at all w/o a cap.

But, you can buy some nissan or mitsubishi one for koyo

KOYO is not over priced but very good quality, and good shape and finish

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm still in SMIC, hopefully I will just lose the power steering lines and keep the 13" in the front when I get the FMIC.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
PWR fits also, but in some cases you MAY have to modify the stock mounting brackets. I had the PWR in my other Supra.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have the Koyo,it drop right in with no mod.I had to get a greddy type radiator cap for it,the other caps will not fit.Since my car is a 98 the mount hole by the cap doesn't match up with the fan shroud,so i made a bracket from the radiator hole to the fan shroud.Plus it comes already polish.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
jam98tt said:
I have the Koyo,it drop right in with no mod.I had to get a greddy type radiator cap for it,the other caps will not fit.Since my car is a 98 the mount hole by the cap doesn't match up with the fan shroud,so i made a bracket from the radiator hole to the fan shroud.Plus it comes already polish.
Any problem with the electric AC fan or any other part of the fan shroud hitting/rubbing against the intercooler pipe coming off the intake? I'm about to install my Koyo tomorrow, it's good to know I need a different cap. I've seen there's a Type S and Type N Greddy cap, which did you use?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The pipe is close about 1/2" but no problem at all.The type S.I got my TRD cap to fit also,by opening it a bit,but it was too tight and i was not comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What about a stock '97-98 radiator. I believe they switched to aluminum in those years. Aren't stock radiators beefy enough to handle modded engines? Or at least the aluminum stock ones?

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
I have a 95TT with a HKS R-Type FMIC with the OEM rad. I never put the OEM push fan back in for the tranny cooling and the other day it was about 90 degrees in traffic and it was the first time I've ever seen my temp. guage go above halfway. I turned my A/C off and it came back down, but that's why I figured it was about time to go with an upgraded cooling system. I've noticed some extremely hot under the hood temps. on my car after I put the FMIC in and was kind of expecting that to happen. My car doesn't have too many mods, I have a lot more parts sitting around than are actually in the car, but I guess it's which mods you do that affect it the most. The FMIC def. had an affect on mine.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
makaveli200369 said:
What about a stock '97-98 radiator. I believe they switched to aluminum in those years. Aren't stock radiators beefy enough to handle modded engines? Or at least the aluminum stock ones?

i thought the only difference from 97-98 mk4 rads was the 2 fans instead of 1????? i thought they were the same size and plastic?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think the early one were copper core with plastic tanks and 97-98 aluminum core with plastic tanks and yes 1 fan went to two fans.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Koyo and it came with a cap. Is there something wrong with the cap that it comes with. Just asking because I am having problems with cooling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts