Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried DirectHits ignition amplifier. I know people on the forums use HKS Twin Power and some even MSD products. Has anyone tried this? How does it work, and how does it compare to other ignition amplifiers?

It uses capacitors and seems elegantly simple. Seems like it should be really effective.

DirectHits.com

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Although i have no experience with the company or their product (which i doubt anyone on supra forums will) i find their webpage to offer enough information to steer me away from purchasing the product.

If you look at one of the very first lines on the webpage the claim that their product will "provide your engine with an immediate boost in horsepower," claims like this are commonly seen around "placebo" or "band-aid" type products

second off this "spark amplifier" is a 2 piece system... it is a little capacitor that fits over your spark plug... supra turbos will not be able to use this system (without great modification) due to the fact that we use coil on plug technology, leaving no room to put an extra 2 inches of plug imbetween our coil packs and plugs

Finally... where does it draw power from? in order to enhance spark.. the capacitors need to be charged PRIOR to discharging spark... other ignition boosters (like MSD and HKS) have an additional power source to provide constant power to these capacitors to charge them before the spark occurs... this system does not

so my final thought is... dont buy it... save some cash and pick up an HKS DLI or AEM CDI

see the 8 direct hits that seem to be about 2 inches tall... the website says those go imbetween the boot and plug (supra COP design does not have that kind of space)... also note how they do not have another power source to gain additional sparking power from...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. I was kind of thinking of it not for a Supra, but for another car.

Anybody else have any info on it or tried DirectHits system. I have a 90 Mazda 626 daily driver I'd like to possibly try it on. Was thinking of it for a Mk III Supra turbo also, but I would most likely use the HKS there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts