Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wheels on my new mkII supra are really really dirty and grimy. i have spent hours scrubbing with different wheel cleaners but have not had much success. right now i'm thinking about just taking em off and sending the wheels somewhere for an acid wash. ny body have any other ideas of what i can do to get the wheels clean? (they are the original 82' wheels which don't have that clearcoat on them)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
How bad is the cast area in between the spokes? The face can be polished with a 4" or so buff wheel on a drill and some kind of polish (Simi-chrome and Wenol works good among others). In between the spokes is a lot harder. You can try using a small soft wire brush or possibly so sort of scouring pad to clean it. You might also try using the Castrol Super Clean, this stuff is pretty nasty and will pit the aluminum if you let set awhile. If you want to get it down to fresh metal, glass bead blasting it will make it look like new aluminum. Note that the face will get slightly pitted when its glass beaded. If your willing to spend a few $, a professional wheel shop can make them look like new. General prices range anywhere from 80-120 a wheel. Generally they'll bead blast the wheel, remachine the face, clear coat the rim, and paint the black lines.

Aaron I

·
Registered
717 Posts
under the celica supra link, he says he polishes/buffs-out the polished parts and paints the non-polished parts, would that not create some problems later down the road? mine on my celica look horrible and that sounds like a good way to spend a few hours one day

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
under the celica supra link, he says he polishes/buffs-out the polished parts and paints the non-polished parts, would that not create some problems later down the road? mine on my celica look horrible and that sounds like a good way to spend a few hours one day
No problems from anyone that I've heard of doing it.

The results speak for themselves. :)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
The only problem I can see is that most metallic spray paints are really thin and might not last after a bunch of washing/scrubing. The solution would be to clearcoat of the entire wheel after it was painted/polished. Of course then the clear coat flakes off in a few years :) , nothing like a challenge eh.

Aaron I

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
The only problem I can see is that most metallic spray paints are really thin and might not last after a bunch of washing/scrubing. The solution would be to clearcoat of the entire wheel after it was painted/polished. Of course then the clear coat flakes off in a few years :) , nothing like a challenge eh.
Remember that the only painted parts are the black lines... and an enamel paint like he was describing would hold up fine for years IMO (based on using one myself in the past).

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea... i have a p-type celica now and it has the same wheels as they showed there. i guess i can experiment on them and if they look really nice, i'll just transfer them over to ma supra when i get it (hopefully soon)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
quick said:

Remember that the only painted parts are the black lines... and an enamel paint like he was describing would hold up fine for years IMO (based on using one myself in the past).
I think he's talking about painting the as cast areas in between the spokes some metallic color to hid the baked on brake dust. Hence the worry about it wearing off after multiple wheel washings.

Aaron I

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea... that seems like it would come off quickly while going from hot to cold so often... maybe just me, i'm no painter, so i wouldn't know for sure. anyways, the celica wheels are going to get polished and painted just like he says, and if it is great, i'll tell you guys, and if it peels off and sucks, i'll tell ya then too

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
SilverMk2 said:

I think he's talking about painting the as cast areas in between the spokes some metallic color to hid the baked on brake dust. Hence the worry about it wearing off after multiple wheel washings.
Interesting. I never thought of painting those areas, but rather just cleaning them up.

Good point, Aaron. Whoops! :)

In that case I think you're right that it would have wear issues... If I were to clean mine up I think I'd try some cleaner and a scrub brush... that baked on brake dust is a real bear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts