Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

On occasions I like to sit in my car (engine not running), driver door open, and be listening to music. However, the chime just won't shut up!
How do I make it? Is there a way to program something to disable that 'feature'?

TIA,

Jay :cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can pull out the switch on the door that makes it chime and cut the wire, then put the switch back in as a "dummy switch"

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure, but you probably need that chime to pass inspection. Make sure what you do is reversible. In Jersey, my beater car failed for not have a rubber pad on the brake pedal. I also heard that some people fail for not having the picture that labels the gears on the shift knob. This is dumb shit. At least the chime warns you that the door is open.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I usually keep the drivers side door closed and the passenger side open.
I do it when washing my car. The chime really get to your nerves after a while

·
0 Posts
what you might be able to do is put a toggle switch in line with the ground wire depending if the switch is normally open so when you have the door open you can bypass the switched closed signal and open it with the toggle, or if it is normally closed and opens then all you have to do is figure which wire goes to the logic for the chime and set up a toggle switch there to keep 12V going to it and then you can open the switch when you want to keep it running normal. As Clear as Mud!!!!!!

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
I still believe that there's a less brutal way to make this chime shut up.

The whole idea behind the nagging chime seems outdated. "In the old days" you could have forgotten the key in the switch and lock yourself out. But with cars like the Supra (power locks), the locks won't lock (at least not the driver side) if the key is in the switch. And the chime comes to life only when the eng is off (and door open).
Would have loved to be able to talk to Toyo engineers on this one.

Does anybody know where the chime is located?

I bet that ranger498 has an easy solution. Ranger, ranger, can you hear me?

Jay

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
I think "1/4mile in style"'s method is pretty simple. You just need to figure out if it's normally open or normally closed, which isn't too hard. And depending on which kind, wire a separate switch either in series or in parallel with the original door switch.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know if the chime comes alive on other "occasions"? I can't recall if I ever hear it besides that door issue.

Where is that chime located? If it doesn't have any other functions, and access to it is easy, I might just disconnect the plug or something.

Jay

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i belive its a relay with a chime built in it
you just need to go to a shop or store and replace the relay with one that does not have a chime i remember doing this in one of my cars but cant remember what car !

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RanGer,

Now where is that relay/chime located? Is it accessible without removing the dash?

·
10,459 Posts
sorry i donthave my car withme so i cant check but im sure its near the fuse box some place!
supra_10 said:
Thanks RanGer,

Now where is that relay/chime located? Is it accessible without removing the dash?

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
RanGer,

You were right. It's a combo relay & chime.
If you have the Electrical Wiring Diagram book then it's shown on page 18, lower left corner (integration relay). So I know now that it's somewhere in the dash. Unfortunately, that's the only item that doesn't have a line showing location.
I don't think it's going to be easy to find a replacement relay that will fit.
The relay diag is shown on page 194.

BTW, I had a similar problem with a PC chime that drove me nuts at boot. I had to muffle it with duct tape. Maybe I'll end up doing the same here.

Still, need to find this damn relay/chime. I'll get under the dash tomorrow.

BTW, for those who suggested some bypass toggle switches and the like, need to take into consideration the alarm logic. You wouldn't wana' have it go off at the wrong time or not go off at all. I don't remember its logic.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
Try pulling the "dome lamp" fuse ,located in the main box by the battery.

When your parked and crankin' the tunes pull the fuse and when your done reinstall.

Other wise use the toggle switch fix on the drivers door jamb switch.

Curt

·
10,459 Posts
well then crack that baby open and pull that chimer out ;)

thanks for the input also !

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
supra_10 said:
RanGer,

You were right. It's a combo relay & chime.
If you have the Electrical Wiring Diagram book then it's shown on page 18, lower left corner (integration relay). So I know now that it's somewhere in the dash. Unfortunately, that's the only item that doesn't have a line showing location.

Jay.

Its located on the driverside kick panel.You have to REMOVE the junction/fuse box to get to it.It plugs in on the back side of the block.BTW:pIA to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the only reason is to listen to your radio with the door open you can just go and hook your radio accessory wire to the 12volt hot battery wire. I have mine set up this way and it works fine for the reason of having the radio on when I am cleaning the car. With the key out of the ignition there is no chime.

My radio is a detachable face alpine, so to turn it off I just press the detach button and let it pop out a little bit to turn it off, and just press it back in to turn it on. If you have the factory radio, you can just turn it on and off to kill the power to it. Only drawback to this is if you forget to turn the radio off it may draw down your battery if you left the car for a while.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Other wise use the toggle switch fix on the drivers door jamb switch.

Well, I think that I came up with my 'eurika' idea -- I'm gona' try to come up with a mechanical 'contraption' -- some mechanical 'thing' that would keep the slider/push pin on the door jamb pushed in. Possibly a simple, properly bent, paper clip could do the trick.

I'm also going to test a plastic key that I got from AAA, on the assumption that when the metal key is inserted in the key cylinder, it closes an electrical circuit. If that's the case then a plastic key might fool the sys.

I'll keep ya'll post.

Thanks much for everybody's input. Very appreciated!

Jay

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, gang, I told you that I was looking for a simple solution.
Here's one (to my liking) that I verified. Take a plastic tooth pic, push the slider pin in and jam it with the tooth pic. Cost -- less than a penney. And of course it's re-usable. :D :D :D

I'm going to make a suggestion to Toyota to include one with every future-MKV... and needless to mention that I expect royalties... :D

Jay :cool:

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those who care:
I tried a plastic key (like the one you get from AAA to open the door) -- it DOESN'T work! Behaves like a metal key - chime announces its existence...

Just had to satisfy my curiosity... :D

I'm gona' stick with the toothpick solution!

Jay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts