Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Volks need some TLC baaaad. I would like to take the wheel apart to repaint some of the chips in the centers (or probably repaint the whole thing, or get it powdercoated), and also there is some crud caked in between and around some of the bolts that is impossible to get to.

Is it safe to disassemble the wheels and reassemble them using the same bolts? I have heard that it can be dangerous? I dont want my wheel coming apart at 100 MPH just so I can look good, but I also dont wanna spend several dollars per bolt for like 120 bolts, again just to look good. For that money I could just spend the extra time to try to get in between all the little nooks.

And I know this is equally newb sounding, but what about some generic ace-hardware / lowes / atwoods / home depot bolts? I wouldnt mind spending say 50 bucks on a bunch of those if I knew they would be as safe as the factory ones, and if I knew that reusing the factory ones was dangerous.

Is it safe?

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just giving a wide range of "generic" brands for everyone to relate to. I would at least put some SS ones back in place. Would that be safe?

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
PaKmaN said:
Forget lowes, home depot. Their bolts are made out of aluminum.
The hell you talking about Shant? Lowes and Home Depot carry a wide variety of bolts from your cheapo nuts and bolts to grade 8 stainless and carbon steel bolts. Or you can try nut and bolt stores to see if they have something that is stronger then grade 8.

·
Champagne Papi
5,695 Posts
G said:
The hell you talking about Shant? Lowes and Home Depot carry a wide variety of bolts from your cheapo nuts and bolts to grade 8 stainless and carbon steel bolts. Or you can try nut and bolt stores to see if they have something that is stronger then grade 8.
Dude.. I went a few weeks ago to pick up some Tempered steel bolts.. they didn't have them.. they said all we carry are steel and aluminum bolts.. So thats what my comment was off.

·
Nautical Blue MR2T
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Po' Kid said:
Can the stock bolts be reused?
?

I have heard from enough sources that it shouldnt be a problem that I think Im gonna try it with one wheel and see how it goes. I just cant find any tools to get in there and taking them apart would yield much better results I think.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Personally i would try to reuse the same bolts. I think it would be very difficult to match the bolts with the same size, thread, pitch and length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts