Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the pros and cons of a Divided tubine Housing compared too an Undivided Turbine Housing on a turbo?

just wondering if i will gain anything if i get a Divided tubine Housing turbo for my sp header ,im currently replacing my sp63 turbo that was sold !

A

·
0 Posts
I think in our case especially (even fire inline 6), it's all pros for divided. You just have to get the right header and turbine housing. Faster spool, a little more power. Exhaust pulses from one side can't interfere with the other. Since the firing order goes front/back/front/back, every 240 degrees, you have a little symphony of perrfect timing in the exhaust.

A

·
0 Posts
HKS too. Seen others, can't remember which ones. Pretty easy to tell, just a quick glance at the turbo flange will tell ya.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just in case this is what im talking about (the item in the red circle)

J

·
0 Posts
Are we talking about the header or the turbo housing? I don't think Precision (turbo source for many kits) offers divided housings on their turbos. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Jim

D

·
0 Posts
yea if your going to use a divided turbo then you going to have to use a divid manifold

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
ITS dbb turbos feature dividded housings... I strongly believe alot of the "quicker spool" can be attributed to these.....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
ama0787 said:
is it bad to have a divided housing on the header with a non divded housing on the turbo
I have heard it is OK to run a divided header without a divided turbo but not the other way around.

Hey Racing Fan, does Precision offer divided housings? Does BL sell any housings that will fit up to a Precision turbo if Precision doesn't make them?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
when i bought my turbo kit from SP the exhaust housing was undivided and the SP header is divided. Im assuming it should be ok running that way as SP sent the parts to me like that.

Carlo

D

·
0 Posts
yes you can run a divided header on a non-divid turbo with no problem, now the other way around will cause some problems

·
Registered
108 Posts
SupraWood said:
Why would it cause problems?
B/c you have this dividing bar sticking up right in the middle. For the record, garrett turbos now only use divided housings as well. I've seen people knife edge it to work with an undivided manifold and it seems to be okay, obviously not ideal, but much better than just slapping it on an undivided manifold

D

·
0 Posts
SupraWood said:
Why would it cause problems?
Ok here is the thing you have a turbo that is setup for a divid manifold. Now with the turbo have the split part and the manifold not its going to cause an uneven flow of exhaust gas and a slower spool by the turbo. So by useing an undivided manifold on a divided turbo will end up cause some pressure issues and cause the turbo to spool slow, thus it not going to work right.

Also I think it can also can spiking in turbo spool, not sure but I believe that with the uneven flow of gas that if would send gas in the two cambers at different rate causing a spiking use were it spools slow, fast, then slows back done, then fast. I am not 100% on this and would like to test it out in a lab but don't have the money or time to do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DSMwildfire0310- You have no idea what you are saying do you? THINK before you speak!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts