Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After a couple of weeks of research and one week of building, I finally finished my homemade sub enclosure. It fits 2 JL Audio 6w0's and fits where the stock sub enclosure was. For the amp, I am using an Alpine MRD-M350 running at less then 1/2 gain.

You can see more pics of it here (pics and writeup are near the bottom):
http://www.virtualchooch.com/1995toyotasupra.cfm

I made the box out of 1/2" MDF, liquid nails and screws. It is the perfect volume for the 2 6w0's. I am very happy with the way this turned out. It is a vast improvement over the stock sub and this system just pounds now!

Any comments or questions please let me know,

Thanks,

Asheesh

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good work, man. I'm working on a 3 x 8" box for some JL 8W6s. I hope it turns out as good as yours did.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
That looks good! That's close to what I was going to make, but decided to use the subwell area to store my amp, wires, etc.

Brian

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
rwsupra.com said:
Brian,

What are you doing with your old setup?

Ryan
The current setup is what I came up with after thinking of doing a subwell setup like in this thread.

I figured I would have no room elsewhere, so I utilized the space available in the subwell for equipment storage.

Brian

·
Registered
165 Posts
Awsome job Asheesh. I'll give you a call and swing by to listen to it when I get back from Cali. Later, Mark

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bass response is excellent.....very accurate and tight bass.....not boomy at all. But when you turn up the volume, it can totally shake the car!

I dont usually listen to hiphop.....I put in some trance, techno, linkin park, and then radio, and it all sounded great. If I find a hiphop CD, I will put it in and see how it sounds....

Asheesh

·
Registered
757 Posts
I heard it! It really threw me for a loop. I was not expecting the power that these two speakers produced. I think this set-up will more than satisfy most car audio enthusiasts. Good job Cheech!

·
2,132 Posts
The setup was awesome. You wouldn't expect the kind of bass it produced. With the dance stuff it could really pound. It was tight and very accurate. I put in some bassy hard rock/metal stuff like King's X (Mr. Bulbous, Black Like Sunday), Dream Theater (Train Of Thought), some Pop/Rock like Ty Tabor (Safety), Jughead, etc. It passed my picky ears with excellent results. :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
nice setup bro i'm looking into getting a system into my girlfriends supra and i think i'm going to lean towards you type of setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where did you get jl 6s

Asheesh,

Where did you get the JL 6s, and how much did it all run you?

Thanks,

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I got the 6w0's from a local shop.....they gave em to me for $70 each plus tax......$150

Grand total on the project was about $350.00 including the amp (Alpine MRD-M350)

It was a fun project....I learned a lot and it really got my mind off of the daily grind.

Asheesh

·
2,132 Posts
I forgot about this, but what did you do with the spare tire cover? That cover was cut to fit with the factory subwoofer. Did you leave it in, have to trim it, pitched it? Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Gary,

When I cut the top of the box, I made it so that the spare tire cover would end just before the top of the box begins...but I made sure that the spare tire covers butts against the edge of the box top so it does not move around......so there is no interference at all between the box and the spare tire cover. Does this make sense? Its hard to describe without a picture.....

Asheesh

·
2,132 Posts
asheesh88 said:
Hi Gary,

When I cut the top of the box, I made it so that the spare tire cover would end just before the top of the box begins...but I made sure that the spare tire covers butts against the edge of the box top so it does not move around......so there is no interference at all between the box and the spare tire cover. Does this make sense? Its hard to describe without a picture.....

Asheesh
That makes sense. The 10" box I'm considering requires cutting/trimming of the spare tire cover. I also am going to need your help on the best way to wire it all up.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem....

cutting the spare tire cover will be easy with some heavy duty shears (hell, even some big scissors will cut it).

As far as the wiring is concerned...it shouldn't be too bad....the only difference I see between that 10" box and mine is that the terminal cup is on the drivers side with the 10"...you just need longerr wire...but other than that no problem....let me know if you need help/advice/ideas....

Asheesh

1 - 20 of 53 Posts