Supra Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Why not put the JL amp back with the subs? The only step I have left is hiding the wires... how do you hide them to the hatch? right now there on my backseat floors, coming from along the driver side door all exposed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
kreddy05
Sorry about the delay, been gone a few days. We are using the same config as asheesh88, but using a Memphis 500w class D amp on side of the spare well.
Will........

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bobmarley,

I thought that having the amp in the stock location would be much cleaner....I didnt want to have an amp just sitting back there in the hatch. Besides, with the stock amp gone, might as well use that space....it will fit a decent sized amp no problem.

As far as running the wires to the back, you can pull up the bottom door trim piece and pull us the carpet....then run the wire along there, then for the panel with the rear speaker, you just have to force the wire up and toward the outside of the car....the wire should come out on the other side through the same opening as the ABS line. You may need to use a straightened wire hanger or something, but it is a pretty easy run...took me about 3 minutes without a hanger.

Asheesh

·
Registered
831 Posts
Using the sides off the spare well always makes any adjustments on the amps easier, also thinking about removing rear seats one day soon and installing roll bar....hmmm, anyone konw of a shop in Texas that could install a SANITTTARY roll bar setup?
Thanx;
Will

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Will2 said:
Using the sides off the spare well always makes any adjustments on the amps easier, also thinking about removing rear seats one day soon and installing roll bar....hmmm, anyone konw of a shop in Texas that could install a SANITTTARY roll bar setup?
Thanx;
Will
No, but I know a KICK ASS place in Vegas: DRD Fabrication. PM me if you want details.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, i finally got to listen to the System and especially the 2X6s....They are not quite finished with the install, so I didn't adjust any settings. Still, I AM VERY SATISFIED with the setup.
Understand I'm into SQ anymore and I was told I could start competing with this setup.. Only listened to some soft rock?? and fusion jazz while I was there but the twin 6's are totally transparent as they are set up. To explain better, Imagine really cranking some music way up and not realizing there was any extraneous bass anywhere in the car...Nothing out of place, too low, too tight, too loose, too loud ect. I know I can get more bass out of it , but I've never had a setup that sounded so clean so maybe I won't play with it too much. I tell you this, for me it's a very sweet setup... If I can have it done better I really don't want too know for while...:D :D

·
1,026 Posts
-asheesh- I am probably going to go with this setup myself :) Are you still using the stock headunit ???
Thanks, Garon

·
2,155 Posts
He went with the Alpine CDA-9813 which powers the speakers and an alpine amp to power the sub.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi Garon,

Yeah, Gary is correct.

My full setup consists of 2 pairs of Alpine Type S 6.5" coaxials (one pair in the doors, one pair in the rear), the 2 6w0's in my homemade box powered by an Alpine MRD-M350 and an Alpine CDA-9813 with the V-Drive powering the 4 coaxials.

I beleive that the amp I used (MRD-M350) has speaker inputs as well (in addition to RCA inputs), so you could if you wanted splice the signal off a set of speakers into the amp and run the subs that way off the stock headunit. However, I dont think it will sound as clean as it will with the RCA cables, plus you will not have complete control of the Sub channel, since the sound will be dictated by what comes out of the speaker you use to get the signal from.

It can be done with the stock stereo, but its not the best way to go...

Asheesh

A

·
0 Posts
asheesh: what volume do you calculate to have with the box minus the volume of the speakers? I only ask cause your box is a real world calculation of the volume after it is made rather than my guesstimate of what i think i can get out of that stock location.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi Aussie,

The box that I built out of 1/2" MDF has a total internal volume of about .379 cubic feet. Keep in mind that the ideal cubic volume for 2 6w0's is .388 cubic feet and the range of acceptable volumes for the 2 6w0's is between .338 and .438 cubic feet. I tried to get as close to ideal as possible with my design.

Considering my pretty simplistic design of the box (not many difficult cuts or angles) I got the most volume out of the area that I could get. If you wanted to build a more elaborate box that utilized all the nooks and crannies of the area, you could get a box that would be about .425 or .45 cubic feet. If you used fiberglass for the box and actually molded the exact shape of the area, you could get upwards of .5 cubic feet (maybe even .6).

The fact of the matter however is that the 2 6w0's ideally needed only .388, so that is what I was shooting for. With a more complicated box design I could have made a larger box, but it would not have been justifiable.

I would say first identify what subs you want to run, then build a box specifically for THOSE subs.

Asheesh

A

·
0 Posts
kewl, thanks for your reply. i am planning to make a box outta mdf exact same config as yours as i plan to go with two 6" if my ebay bidding gets through :D Otherwise, it'll be one 8"

·
1,026 Posts
asheesh88 said:
Hi Garon,

Yeah, Gary is correct.

My full setup consists of 2 pairs of Alpine Type S 6.5" coaxials (one pair in the doors, one pair in the rear), the 2 6w0's in my homemade box powered by an Alpine MRD-M350 and an Alpine CDA-9813 with the V-Drive powering the 4 coaxials.

I beleive that the amp I used (MRD-M350) has speaker inputs as well (in addition to RCA inputs), so you could if you wanted splice the signal off a set of speakers into the amp and run the subs that way off the stock headunit. However, I dont think it will sound as clean as it will with the RCA cables, plus you will not have complete control of the Sub channel, since the sound will be dictated by what comes out of the speaker you use to get the signal from.

It can be done with the stock stereo, but its not the best way to go...

Asheesh

Thanks Gary & Asheesh, To say that I know absolutley nothing about car stereo's would be a compliment. I am more of a wrenchman lol. All I really know is I want something that has a nice clean sound, but on the same side I really want to keep my stock headunit. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Once again your setup looks great.
Thanks again, Garon

41 - 53 of 53 Posts