Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: ADDED DIAGRAM ON BOTTOM OF PAGE

Want to get the cool warning feature of a $200 boost gauge but at a discounted crackhead price, read up and thank me later

I just added these to my car and they work great, all it takes is.....

- adjustable hobbs type pressure switch (around $10)
- LED or other light ($1)
- 16 gauge wire ($1)
- wiring skills of a 1st grader
- even add a buzzer if you are to stupid to see the light

easiest way to get the pressure switches is on ebay they have ones adjustable from 1-25psi and they wil even pre-set them for you.

pretty much the pressure switch has a basic circuit and when the amount of boost is reached it will flip the switch and turn on the LED light and sound the buzzer if you got one

works like a charm, I think this could go down as the BEST mod for under $20

this is only the beginning i am also wiring up warning lights for low fuel pressure and maybe even a low oil light that only comes on under boost

edit: pic of pressure sensor available at http://stores.ebay.com/Be-Cooling and http://stores.ebay.com/coolingmist

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I was thinking of adding a warning feature to my wideband but it would be kinda hard to do. The wideband output is 0-5 volts so you would need a switch that works off voltage and than figure out what the a/f ratio is at what voltage. eh

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
I tried once, but said screw it... and I'll just buy one of the INNOVATE gauges for an arm and a leg.

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
with a small servo and some other misc. items you could build your self an electronic boost controller on an extreme budget.

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
actualy with this and a vacuum solenoid you could build an adjustable boost controller..... lne to wastegate intercepted with the vacuum solenoid and that powered with the switch..... set it to turn on at whatever boost and the wastgate wont see pressure untill the solenoid is turned on by the pressure switch... Hrmmmmm nice.... could even run the wires to the cockpit and adjust inside on the fly :)

Michael M

Edit: hell I have a solenoid here for my old HI/LOW MBC setup I had

·
Registered
259 Posts
very cool little device which could be used for very very usefull things. nitrous switch? or alternate fuel map trigger? this is sweet.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
thats sweet man! did u put it in tha MKIII 20 dollar or less mods page?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Kloud said:
im gonna use that to activate a light-up sign that says BOOST on my back window. :D
haha. that would be great!! a sign that says, "Now Boosting"

G

·
yeah i saw a civic a long time ago that had a red VTEC sign in his window that lit up everytime he was in VTEC mode or w/e and i thought it wuld be cool to do that with boost instead :lol:

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
interesting.. to bad i dont have any boost... :sad:

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't take any pics of the finished product but all you can see is the little flashing LED light on my dash.

That would be pretty funny to see a now boosting sign, lol

Pretty much with this and a simple relay you can do some crazy shit with this pressure switch

- boost warning
- Nitrous spool up kit, set it to spray nitrous until you reach your max boost
- water/meth spray at certin boost
- activate additional injectors

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Could you post up some pics, or a write-up of where and how everything is wired and run. This is very interesting, and might just have to add it to the to-do list.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Isn't a standard Hobbs switch subject to influence by altitude? If not, never mind.

Altitude (ft) Pressure (psi)

Sea Level 14.7
1000 14.2
2000 13.7
3000 13.2
4000 12.7
5000 12.2
6000 11.8
7000 11.3
8000 10.9

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Larry_A said:
Isn't a standard Hobbs switch subject to influence by altitude? If not, never mind.

Altitude (ft) Pressure (psi)

Sea Level 14.7
1000 14.2
2000 13.7
3000 13.2
4000 12.7
5000 12.2
6000 11.8
7000 11.3
8000 10.9
Altitude does effect pressure but I live in Florida so I dont have to worry about it, the biggest mountin we got is the garbage dump

These pressure sensors were designed to work with turbo cars and are sold mostly by people who sell water/alky injection kits as the activation trigger. They work off of the actual pressure you engine is seeing so I don't know if you have to correct for altitude.

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
fstlane88 said:
Could you post up some pics, or a write-up of where and how everything is wired and run. This is very interesting, and might just have to add it to the to-do list.

I guess if I get some time I could take a few pics. It is very basic electric skills, 12volt.com is a great place to learn the basics.

Pretty much you use a T fitting and tap into any vacume line on the intake manifold than run that vacume line to the plastic Nipple fitting on the pressure sensor.

Than there are two male terminals on the switch, find a 12 volt source you want to use (battery, ignition, ect.) and run that TO the switch. Than run the wire FROM the switch to the positive wire on your dash mounted LED light. The other wire on your LED light goes to a common ground.

·
Registered
586 Posts
60-1 Teg said:
I guess if I get some time I could take a few pics. It is very basic electric skills, 12volt.com is a great place to learn the basics.

Pretty much you use a T fitting and tap into any vacume line on the intake manifold than run that vacume line to the plastic Nipple fitting on the pressure sensor.

Than there are two male terminals on the switch, find a 12 volt source you want to use (battery, ignition, ect.) and run that TO the switch. Than run the wire FROM the switch to the positive wire on your dash mounted LED light. The other wire on your LED light goes to a common ground.

Whats the shorter male terminal on the bottom used for? Good find by the way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts