Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw up a quick tutorial on how I molded a pair of gauge pods to my OEM A-pillar.

First I started with a normal bolt on dual gauge pod.

Then I cut the pods out and mocked them up to the A-pillar, trimming as needed until I got a somewhat close fit.

After that I traced around the pods and sanded the area around where they mount up. In hindsight, this probably would have been the best time to sand down the rest of the pillar.

I also drilled holes around the perimeter to allow the plastic weld to seep through and basically rivet the pods in place.

The next step was to apply the 2 part plastic weld(I used JB PlasticWeld) and give it a good few hours to dry before sanding. I put plastic weld on the pod itself, as well as the A-pillar, and then put the two together.

After sanding

I followed that up with Fast Flo Glaze from Sherwin Williams.

Luckily this stuff cures quick and can be sanded after 20 min of drying. It took 2 coats and a couple of touch ups to get everything smooth and seamless

After sanding everything else down and cleaning really well, it's finally ready for adhesion promoter followed by primer. I used Duplicolor for both

Dog

This is where things get a little tricky. I'm not sure how to best match the factory finish.

I went ahead and used SEM Texture Coating. This will give it a good texture, but it is not quite like the leather pattern texture from the factory.

The texture was a bit too rough, so I knocked it down some with a light sanding using 600 grit paper. Just enough to remove the high spots but keep a noticeable texture to it.

After cleaning everything again, I used SEM Landau Black top coat for the final color. It is definitely too glossy to match OEM, but it doesn't look too bad. Ironically the finished product turned out much like the original dual gauge pod started.

Next to a new OEM A-pillar

I'm hoping to get it installed tonight and will snap some pics. I really want to play with the finish some more to get it a little closer to OEM, but at a certain point buying and testing a bunch of different products becomes cost prohibitive.

·
Highway Demon
2,875 Posts
Just a suggestion but rather then trying to get your newly blended and painted podded a-pillar to match the OEM, why not just prep and paint the passenger side one so they match. Just to keep the cost down and guarantee a perfect match, that seems the most logical. If the pair in your car are matching each other I am also sure no one would even notice that they are darker then OEM without a side by side comparo.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a suggestion but rather then trying to get your newly blended and painted podded a-pillar to match the OEM, why not just prep and paint the passenger side one so they match. Just to keep the cost down and guarantee a perfect match, that seems the most logical. If the pair in your car are matching each other I am also sure no one would even notice that they are darker then OEM without a side by side comparo.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. I think I'm gonna fill in the holes on the other pillar while I'm at it so I can ditch the oh shit handle.

Very nice work!
Thanks buddy.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Nice! Came out very clean. Curious how it looks inside the cabin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow great work man!!!
Thanks!

Solid work. Looks good, what do you have into with materials??
Honestly, it's hard to say because I already had a lot of the materials left over from other projects. By the time you add up the cost of sand paper, acetone, plasticweld, adhesion promoter, filler, primer, texture, paint, etc.. you could easily be looking at close to $100 in supplies, but you will have lots left over. It is probably not worth the investment for one small project, but if you see yourself doing anything else in the future that may require some of the same materials, it could be worth it.

I already had primer/filler/texture/paint left over from a project on my 240sx

Nice! Came out very clean. Curious how it looks inside the cabin.
Thanks, I tried to snap a quick pic before I put the car away tonight, but it was too dark to get a good representation. I'll try to get a better one soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts