Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to battle these task's for a while, Researching/Reading but there always is not solid information which has made me come to the conclusion of asking from personal experience what worked well for you.

Here goes my questions i'm stuck on i have alot of work to do on my supras and i feel like i few stupid things are stopping me just not knowing which paint will work well etc.

Here are my problems i'm trying to fix in my supra's
My Roof lining is sagging down, What's strong enough to hold it back up?
(I've tried contact cement, Some Double sided tape no luck, I thought the contact cement would of worked)

Best Paint to paint windscreen/back windscreen wipers with? I used Bumper coating same as my dash, Dash came up GREAT! Bumper coating is no good for wipers, It's pealing already.

Just a strong glue in general my Speakers materials have came loose and rattle when i drive just need to glue it down, I tried again contact cement thought that would of worked but just came loose.

Windscreen/long plastic panel above bonnet to stop crap getting down there, Again just needed good suggestions for paint i tried bumper coating looked AWESOME, but it's flaking off already.

Corner of my dash is poking out a bit i've tried twice with contact cement normally that shit's STRONG but nothings seems to work for the supra i need something STRONGER

I have aftermarket Ganador mirrors looks like plastidip was used its all cracked etc, Also looking for a good strong paint for that (surprising i've been reading and Plastidip sounds good for it) Don't want to make more mistakes and more work with that being said

Headlights, What's the BEST Chrome/Silver paint i will get to re-do the Chrome rings? Just need a Good clearcoat i've picked the colour for the inside of the light.

That pretty much covers everything that's stopping me from continuing my projects, Stupid little things but driving me crazy any personal experince for any questions i'm asking would be highly appercaited i've been trying to get past these problems for a while.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Here are my problems i'm trying to fix in my supra's
My Roof lining is sagging down, What's strong enough to hold it back up?
(I've tried contact cement, Some Double sided tape no luck, I thought the contact cement would of worked)
The best headliner adhesive is 3m aerosol contact cement. That probably won't work for you though because usually what causes headliners to sag is degradation of the foam between the liner and backer. When you glue it back in you just glue to crummy foam and it comes loose. I generally attempt to get a factory replacement first. If I'm balling on a budget I order a more generic foam backed cloth in the closest matching color I can find. You then thoroughly clean the backer and spray both the liner and backer with the cement. Wait a minute and then slap them together.

Best Paint to paint windscreen/back windscreen wipers with? I used Bumper coating same as my dash, Dash came up GREAT! Bumper coating is no good for wipers, It's pealing already.
I can't say what's best but if your paint is peeling quickly, you did not prep the surface correctly before spraying it. I used krylon satin black and it worked great. You need to sand the wiper arms and get all wax, dirt, grime, etc cleaned off. Then you can spray. Do multiple light to medium coats.

Just a strong glue in general my Speakers materials have came loose and rattle when i drive just need to glue it down, I tried again contact cement thought that would of worked but just came loose.
When vibration is present you generally dont want a strong glue. You want a flexible glue. For that I generally use a silicone or rtv compound. If you really need strength, an appropriate epoxy for the materials you are bonding. 2 part mixed only.

Windscreen/long plastic panel above bonnet to stop crap getting down there, Again just needed good suggestions for paint i tried bumper coating looked AWESOME, but it's flaking off already.
This is a bit harder. That piece really isn't made to be painted and it's a very intricate part. You will need to rough up the entire surface if you want to paint it and get it extremery clean. It will take TONS of time but it is possible.

Corner of my dash is poking out a bit i've tried twice with contact cement normally that shit's STRONG but nothings seems to work for the supra i need something STRONGER
Again, 2 part cement buy this still may not work well. The dash is probably poking out because the vinyl/rubber has shrunk. Super glue is another possibility here but be careful and test first. It eats certain kinds of foam.

I have aftermarket Ganador mirrors looks like plastidip was used its all cracked etc, Also looking for a good strong paint for that (surprising i've been reading and Plastidip sounds good for it) Don't want to make more mistakes and more work with that being said
I generally use a basecoat/clear coat system for painting with an hvlp gun, primer, and even spray filler to clear up cracks. Might be out shooting your coverage on that but enamel and epoxy paints are the hardest regardless.

Headlights, What's the BEST Chrome/Silver paint i will get to re-do the Chrome rings? Just need a Good clearcoat i've picked the colour for the inside of the light.
I have no experience with this. I don't generally mess with headlights unless I have to because they never seal back up 100% correct.

Hopefully that helps a little!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best headliner adhesive is 3m aerosol contact cement. That probably won't work for you though because usually what causes headliners to sag is degradation of the foam between the liner and backer. When you glue it back in you just glue to crummy foam and it comes loose. I generally attempt to get a factory replacement first. If I'm balling on a budget I order a more generic foam backed cloth in the closest matching color I can find. You then thoroughly clean the backer and spray both the liner and backer with the cement. Wait a minute and then slap them together.

I can't say what's best but if your paint is peeling quickly, you did not prep the surface correctly before spraying it. I used krylon satin black and it worked great. You need to sand the wiper arms and get all wax, dirt, grime, etc cleaned off. Then you can spray. Do multiple light to medium coats.

When vibration is present you generally dont want a strong glue. You want a flexible glue. For that I generally use a silicone or rtv compound. If you really need strength, an appropriate epoxy for the materials you are bonding. 2 part mixed only.

This is a bit harder. That piece really isn't made to be painted and it's a very intricate part. You will need to rough up the entire surface if you want to paint it and get it extremery clean. It will take TONS of time but it is possible.

Again, 2 part cement buy this still may not work well. The dash is probably poking out because the vinyl/rubber has shrunk. Super glue is another possibility here but be careful and test first. It eats certain kinds of foam.

I generally use a basecoat/clear coat system for painting with an hvlp gun, primer, and even spray filler to clear up cracks. Might be out shooting your coverage on that but enamel and epoxy paints are the hardest regardless.

I have no experience with this. I don't generally mess with headlights unless I have to because they never seal back up 100% correct.

Hopefully that helps a little!
Cheers mate it's been some time, Time to order the parts needed and do some DIY fixing.

Here's where i'm at
I'm thinking this silicon sealant for the speakers and what not : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/J-B-Weld...437856?hash=item3ac4b71c60:g:Ab4AAOSw3ihXTWUZ

As for the roof lining i want to nail that, how does this look?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/162082606154?lpid=107&chn=ps
3m 90 high strength i'll have a look at my roof lining and compared it to what you said,

Thanks for the other suggestions aswell mate, I should be able to tackle them appercaite it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts