Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a replacement shifter and E-brake boots. Replacing the E-brake cover was easy. I'm not sure how to go about securing the top of the boot to the shifter. This is going on a Driftmotion short shifter with their derlin shift knob. Looking to do something that looks clean (no exposed zip ties). Any suggestions?

Here's the old vs new boot side by side.

Here's the E-Brake installed. The other one was grody.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
Got a replacement shifter and E-brake boots. Replacing the E-brake cover was easy. I'm not sure how to go about securing the top of the boot to the shifter. This is going on a Driftmotion short shifter with their derlin shift knob. Looking to do something that looks clean (no exposed zip ties). Any suggestions?

Here's the old vs new boot side by side.

Here's the E-Brake installed. The other one was grody.
I suspect it does not attach at the top. Mine hasn't been in the car long enough to be attaching pretty leather boots. I'm jealous :)

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
I'm more curious:

• Where did you get it?
  • How does it attach at the bottom?
I am missing my shifter boot.
Can't speak for the OP, but I got mine off of eBay. They were a pair, handbrake and shift boot. The original trim piece holds it in place with screws IIRC.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm more curious:

• Where did you get it?
  • How does it attach at the bottom?
I am missing my shifter boot.
I bought it from redlinegoods. They are in Europe... Poland I believe? I chose a simple pattern but they offer some different options for colors and thread color/pattern.

There's a bracket at the bottom that my boot was glued to. That bracket is held on by two screws on the transmission.

Bracket with two mounting holed on the front. I will be painting the rusted portions with chassis saver

The boot folds over the bracket and is attached with adhesive. There are slits cut into the boot so it folds over nicely.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you ziptie under the boot before you tuck the base in you should be able to secure it up without exposing zip ties
Thanks, had that thought too but concerned it would slip down often. I like the stock type which seems to snap into the bottom of the knob. Hm, maybe I should just get an OEM type knob?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks, had that thought too but concerned it would slip down often. I like the stock type which seems to snap into the bottom of the knob. Hm, maybe I should just get an OEM type knob?
It sounds jury rigged but if you used a rubber band below where the ziptie goes, it shouldn't slip down

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
884 Posts
Yep, I did this last year to mine. Ordered in on eBay from the U.K. Awesome fix.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds jury rigged but if you used a rubber band below where the ziptie goes, it shouldn't slip down
Thanks for the tip! Seems easy enough. I might go that route.

Waiting on the adhesive to come in. Going to give Barge adhesive a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The oem boot has a ring at the top preventing it from sliding down. Cant you remove that from your old boot and use on your new one. I bought an old beat up boot for $10 just for the ring at the top and plan on using it.

Not sure the DM short shifter shaft is flared though to hold the ring up.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The oem boot has a ring at the top preventing it from sliding down. Cant you remove that from your old boot and use on your new one. I bought an old beat up boot for $10 just for the ring at the top and plan on using it.

Not sure the DM short shifter shaft is flared though to hold the ring up.
Thanks for the tip! Yes, I do still have that ring. I wasn't sure how it worked though. I bought the car with another short shifter installed and it didn't have the flare either. The boot just floated around. So it doesn't clip in to the bottom of the knob.. it just rests against a flare on the stick.... makes sense now after googling some pictures. It seems like I can do something with that. I bought this black aluminum boot retainer on Ebay thinking it might work somehow. It has the right thread pitch for the shifter which has extra threads on the bottom anyways. I did not think about slipping the boot over it with the ring, but I'm thinking that'll work pretty well since it's flared. Still waiting on the adhesive to arrive to wrap this up!

Here's the boot retainer from Ebay with the plastic ring. The right might be upside down?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got a black vinyl one from eBay for about $15 delivered. Check it out and the C's short shifter.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It took awhile for the adhesive to arrive (2 weeks) so this install got delayed. But, just wrapped it up! I was able to use that black boot retainer thing from earlier in my post and reuse the plastic ring. This is how it came out. The hardest part was getting the plastic ring over the boot retainer. The leather is much thicker than OEM so there was no clearance to slip the boot retainer through. I had to force the retainer through first and that still required some trimming of leather, and then glue the leather tabs in place. I still had to jam the portions of the leather through with a small flathead. Probably should have filed or clearance the plastic ring but ATM, it seemed faster to do it my way.

in nuetral

Need to make a correction from earlier....
There's a bracket at the bottom that my boot was glued to. That bracket is held on by two screws on the transmission bottom of the shifter bezel.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,759 Posts
It looks real nice. What color did you order. I am thinking medium blue not dark blue.

Is that correct??

I need dark, matching. We have the same imterior.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks real nice. What color did you order. I am thinking medium blue not dark blue.

Is that correct??

I need dark, matching. We have the same imterior.

Thanks

Dan
I ordered dark blue with +1 inch of boot length.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts