Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just another question that you probably answered before but for some reason i cannt find any threads on it .
So i am almost done with school and i will have some cash flow after I recently saw a 1997 15th anniversary supra with the 6speed manual for 39k car is all original and has 54k miles i think thats a killer deal correct me if i am wrong thats my first option ,
My second option is to buy a bmw e92 and do a 2jz swap since my mechanic already quoted me 5k for labor and wiring like basically everything to get the car running stock that will cost me around 15-20k engine trans for 8k (thats what i heard ) and the car + labor .
So the question here will the swap he a pain in the ass and will i be able to have the same power as a mk4 since i would have a different drive train ?
Sorry for the long thread would appreciate your opinion and also if you have another car in mind that i should do the swap on please let me know .

·
iSPOOL
1,400 Posts
I'll speak for myself.

Firstly, do you currently have a daily driver? If not then I would not encourage you to buy either car at the moment.

Secondly, How much would the BMW cost you? Have you looked into maybe buying an MKIV NA Supra and swap it yourself? Something to consider.
You cannot predict what your costs will be honestly. It will always go over what you expected.

Is that Supra an original 6 speed Turbo? JDM I'm guessing? The price seems extremely low so that would raise my suspicions.

Get as much detail as you can about that 1997 Supra before dropping any money.

Reactions: Piratetip

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just finishing school and considering going into 30-40k debt ?

Or have the cash

If you don't actually have the big job and paycheck, this is all a dream anyway

At least the supra would hold its value. A BMW jz, I have no idea about that

But why ? I can't see dropping that kind of coin fresh out of school.... A friend of mine is a lawyer and his first car was a Ford explorer. My advise is if you have the coin, invest in the market right now lol, not in a supra

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
if you just want to have a car to have the GTE drivetrain get an SC300 and swap that.

putting it in an E92 doesn’t seem like a good idea overall.

·
Registered
903 Posts
there you go, put it in a sc300....then when the right supra roller / na car comes up you can swap it all over.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Like others have said, if you don't already have a reliable daily driver, don't spend all your money on a project. Not sure if you follow the stock market at all, but now would be a good time to max out your IRA for the year lol.

OP, have you dealt with swapped cars before?
What are your end goals for the chassis, the purpose of the car? AC? PS? etc.
I had a JZ swapped S14 over 10 years ago and it was great platform due to the plethora of aftermarket parts available for that chassis. Setting up AC and PS was super easy, and because the engine and chassis were the same OBD version wiring was super easy to sort out.
Is there a reason you want to use an E92 chassis? I can't imagine the wiring headache dealing with BMW's CANBUS network. BMW dealership techs can't even diagnose their own product half the time and kinda just shoot in the dark replacing stuff along the wire.
The JZ was a factory turbo engine in a lot of cars in Japan in the 90s, and most of them are low mileage engine/chassis. If you don't mind RHD, might want to contact a few importers and see if they can get you something in your price range with the features you're looking for.
Another thing to consider is that JZ swaps are pretty common on other platforms, so buying a chassis with it already done can be had for under $20k pretty easily. There are probably half a dozen JZ powered cars for sale on the first page in the classifieds section on zilvia, as well as rolling chassis.
Super clean SC300 for 15k
Decent GS300 for 8.5k

Don't get me wrong, I love the MKIV, if the 97 you're looking at checks out, go for it. Deals do pop up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
op possibly a new supra is up your alley, if you like BMW etc. rumor is they actually make the mk5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts