Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Under Construction
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got crank walk last year. This year, my carbon floater in my RPS C/C broke and my fuel line in the gas tank went bad and caused my car to die in traffic. I have had some bad luck with my Supra the past year. Each time I drive it, I'm scared something will go wrong and I will have to call towing :( I'm at the point where I turn down the radio and listen to every noise carefully. My gf says I'm a freak and to just take it easy. I'm sure everything will go back to normal when Justin Nenni tunes my car to 700whp+ next week lol Do you guys get paranoid driving your Supras? or I'm I crazy? :)

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Clearly you are crazy. :) My car is my daily driver. I try not to worry too much about it. I just enjoy driving it. I suppose with all the mods you have, the reliability might go down some. But if you worry while driving it, you're better off leaving it in the garage...

· RSP fetish #23 GTR driver
811 Posts
You are paranoid!
"Listening to every noise and waiting for something to go wrong".
I wish to go to APU level and listen to BOV. This I understand. No need for a radio.

· Registered
775 Posts
You gotta have fun driving it. The guy tuning your car is suppose to be one of the best or the best. Once he gets done I'm sure it will be fine. When I get my car serviced at the shop I ALWAYS go to, I always tell them to drive the car for a few days before I pick it up. Maybe you could do the same. Tell him to take a 20 mile crise to check it out. If you have to pay him 50 bucks, it's worth it. It's important to find a shop that always works on your car, To many hands under the hood sucks.

· Super Moderator
13,805 Posts
myrpmredline said:
You gotta have fun driving it. The guy tuning your car is suppose to be one of the best or the best. Once he gets done I'm sure it will be fine. When I get my car serviced at the shop I ALWAYS go to, I always tell them to drive the car for a few days before I pick it up. Maybe you could do the same. Tell him to take a 20 mile crise to check it out. If you have to pay him 50 bucks, it's worth it. It's important to find a shop that always works on your car, To many hands under the hood sucks.

This, right here, is gospel as far as I'm concerned. TwinTurboPete, although talented in some instances, and well intentioned in others, a lot of folks have worked on your car stemming from Johnny K's ownership to your own. This is never a good thing. As myrpmredline has indicated, find the very best shop you can and let them be the only ones to work on your car.

My car is modded more than the vast majority of cars on this forum, and I don't hesitate to get in and drive when the opportunity presents itself. Within four hours after my HKS F-CON V-Pro installation and tuning was completed, I was on my way to SILV03, about 300-miles (one-way) from SPE. My car is my psychiatrist. A few weeks ago, I went for a drive in a bad mood and returned about 45-minutes later feeling like a different person. If you're afraid to drive it, something is wrong and that something needs to be corrected (including the mental part). Hope this helps.

Ken.

· Registered
297 Posts
notlownuf, Mark-P, krzykk, GA* Red *supra, and Ken, pretty much all your comments on how you look at your cars apply to me as well and you have all made me feel a lot more normal than I was worried I was not! Cheers Phil.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I let my wife drive my '93TT once or twice a week. :ugh2: (I need to convert to a 6speed with a really stiff clutch!) She told me the car was shifting strangely a the exhaust fumes were strong (I have a shift kit and a small exhaust leak). So I drove the car without the radio on (very unusual for me unless I really want to hear the blow off valve) and I nearly freaked after hearing all the noises! No problems though so maybe I need more mods! I enjoy every second in my car (it has never stranded me) because my daily driver (trying to keep the miles down -almost 101k) is a '94 Nissan PU. Just keep addressing the problems as they arise and you will have them all taken care of eventually. Geh Dutschen FuBball!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
i bought mine high milage and am paying the price for doing so, here's my history:

1. bought the car, NA brake disks on my TT supra -> free fix by seller, but still
2. clutch started slipping so bad, normal acceleration was not possible (2 months of ownership)
3. valve stem seals gave way, car smoked up entire intersections (white smoke)(3rd month)
4. got new twins since along with valve stem seals (137.000 on old twins)
5. newly placed twins were leaking oil (oil return line leakage)
6. finally up and running again, car loses coolant, and a lot of it, its everywhere, leak at top of engine + radiatorcap gone bad (4th month)
7. today, the engine rattles (belt tensioner bearing) + car can't keep idle 15% of the time (dips to 300rpm and stalls) + other oil return line is leaking a little (the one towards the front of the car) +i have no more money (quess that's a common problem :p)

so, i'm listening for sounds all the time and although i'm not worried about the engine breaking, i'm worried about some small thing that will break and mess something up, or damage my twins (which i can't afford to replace again)

I love my supra none the less, its just killing me that i have to worry about it breaking down every 500miles :(

Luke.

· Exiled Supra Owner
3,986 Posts
Eventhough I did a complete rebuild of my NA Supra engine and replaced most of the suspension components, I'm still paranoid that my Supra will have a catastrophic failure. :run:

In a sense, its somewhat normal to be parnoid. :)

· Under Construction
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
KenHenderson said:
This, right here, is gospel as far as I'm concerned. TwinTurboPete, although talented in some instances, and well intentioned in others, a lot of folks have worked on your car stemming from Johnny K's ownership to your own. This is never a good thing. As myrpmredline has indicated, find the very best shop you can and let them be the only ones to work on your car.

My car is modded more than the vast majority of cars on this forum, and I don't hesitate to get in and drive when the opportunity presents itself. Within four hours after my HKS F-CON V-Pro installation and tuning was completed, I was on my way to SILV03, about 300-miles (one-way) from SPE. My car is my psychiatrist. A few weeks ago, I went for a drive in a bad mood and returned about 45-minutes later feeling like a different person. If you're afraid to drive it, something is wrong and that something needs to be corrected (including the mental part). Hope this helps.

Ken.

The bad things that happened to my car are not John's fault. The crank walk was my fault since I didn't put a bypass switch on my clutch when I installed the AEM. The carbon floater that broke was not anyones fault and even Rob at RPS told me it had happened numerous times on other cars and sent me a non carbon unit. The fuel line in the gas tank was my fault since I didn't put a braided line. All these things are small stuff that have been addressed but I still worry something else will go wrong :) I think after I put a few thousand miles on the new setup, I will be able to enjoy the car once again. I'm suprised to see how many people are paranoid like me though. I'm not so crazy after all lol

PS: When I lost an engine from crank walk, My friend and I are the ones that tore the whole engine apart and put it back together including the new mods. We will be the only touching it from now on.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.