Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am near the end of my NA-T conversion, and was running the car today. There was moisture pouring out of the exhaust, and a good half cup of liquid came out of the exhaust. At first I freaked and thought for sure that I didn't get a good seal when I installed the 3mm copper HG from PHR. But then it stopped and I checked the fluid - it was crystal clear and had no taste. Whew! Probably just a bunch of snow/ice in the cat section that sat outside at the muffler shop.

OK - problem solved, right. Wrong. When I disconnected the block to do the headgasket, obviously a boatload of coolant was lost - so I new I would need to add more coolant. So I refilled the overflow reservior and worked on some other stuff (car not running). 30 minutes later, the reservoir was bone dry. Repeated the process and it happened again. I know it has to fill the block to replace all the stuff I lost, but I don't understand why it drained while it was off?

A related question - when filling the coolant, should I fill the plastic reservoir or the radiator?

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you had a bad head gasket you would have a lot of white smoke coming out of your exhaust. As far as the coolant resevour, my car will keep taking coolant out for up to a day of driving. There are a lot of places air can hide in the coolant system when you drain it and when the air gets flushed out it refills with coolant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts