Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now I am 16 yrs. old, I'm finishing my Junior year in High School.

Right now Im lucky enough to own a 2002 NHRA Limited Edition Trans Am.

basicly stock (Exhaust/air lid) 13.42 at 106 mph.

Ever since I was little, ive always LOVED supra's... 94/97 TT M6 is a car i'd love to own which brings me to my question...

Next year, I think I'm going to ask my parents to help me out with some of the cost for a graduation present.. However... Is it possible anymore to find a NICE looking well kept supra with under 60,000 miles.. I'm scared of buying a TT foreign car with 100k miles. Any advice you guys can offer, or more importantly, do any of you think you will ever sell your car?

By "nice looking supra" i mean members like:
suprahead
97yellow6spd
Xenon Supra

just to name 3 I saw on 1 thread...Thanks guys.

·
doin alright, thanks ;-)
311 Posts
For a well-kept 94 TT with less than 60,000 miles, you are probably looking at a 20-24K price. If you sell your 2002 Trans Am, you will only need a couple thousand dollar graduation present from your parents to cover the difference. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
598 Posts
speedforsale.com
For sale section, cars only.....

As these cars get older, finding one for sale with low mileage is rough.... tough it out and get the car of your dreams or lower your constraints (a well maintained supra with mileage around 60k - 120k), do some regular scheduled maintenance on it and still get the car of your dreams..... after all it is a SUPRA in the end.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
First off, let me say that I am honored you think my car is one of the "nice, well kept" supras that you mentioned. It's not often that a stock bodied supra gets props for being well kept. So thank you :)

And to answer your question....Yes it's possible.

Supras will run strong for easily 170,000 and I've even seen a few up at 200,000. It is one of the most well made cars around and mileage shouldn't be a big concern. Although it is nice to have a low mileage one, it's not completely necessary. I wish you good luck with your hunt for the right supra. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up on AIM. (joesupra914). Peace

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
I'm scared of buying a TT foreign car with 100k miles.
In a comparison of problems per 1000 vehicles, the supra most definitley falls far below the T/A. The supra has been termed the most reliable sports car on many automotive ratings/reviews. Search through some old Car and Drivers, or even newer online ratings sites. you might be surprised.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<3, I really hope I get lucky enough to own one.. I've always been a big fan...

Also what are the differences if any between the TT 94 and the TT 97?

And why would you go the Single Turbo route over the Twin Turbo?

·
mahkittahluvsme
544 Posts
HotSoup said:
Here is a pic of my car....looks alot like Joey's:

Damn. That looks exactly like mine, except mine is black/black...same wheels but mine still has the original turns signals (94). Nice car you have there Hotsoup. Yeah, you can find a nice well kept stock Supie with low miles still but the price goes up as the miles go down. Like others have said though, don't worry too much about mileage. Supras are very dependable cars. I wouldn't be afraid to spend upwards of 20K on a real nicely cared for stock 100K TT Supra.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't worry about mileage. I'm at 157K and my car still runs fine and drives really nice. If you want something you can afford at your age, you're prob looking at a TT above 100K miles.

Btw, your other questions about differences are answered by searching, but in general, 94 are OBDI computers and 97 are OBDII. Different headlights and taillight between the two, as well. I'm sure there's other stuff that I'm forgetting.

People go single to get more power and its more simplistic. Our twins don't go above 500hp in any normal instances, and should not be boosted above 18psi for safety reasons. You can boost above on them with race gas, but they won't last long.

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Yes, it is possible. I was witness to the possibilities of owning a clean Supra turbo. I was only 18 and not like a rich movie star. Just get a well paying job. I recommend looking into a call center in your area. Call centers average from $10 - $16 an hour and many have sales. If you want to hear anything more about my personal experience, or just want to talk PM me or IM me (ASupraFluByU).

G’luck with your quest.
Brian

·
Registered
784 Posts
it's possible.. i got one when i was a senior in high school about 3-4 years back when supra's were still cheaper than it is now.. i got my '94 tt six speed with 120k miles for 18k and i turn around and sold it for 20k because my parents bought a house..

good luck..

i'm looking forward to buying one soon.. =D

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Seems like you're on the right track. Just get whatever you really want, I can tell you the Supra can be a good car when it comes to reliability. Just try not to show off in high school. Got my N/A freshman year and my TT sophmore year (sold it shortly after LOL). Never had problems with it getting vandalized.

I usually have a few Supras for sale so if you're interested just give me a call at 405-255-1803, PM, or email me and I can let you know if I have anything in your price range.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
It's going to be darn hard finding a Supra TT with less then 60K miles selling for under $28K. I don't know where you guys saw such deals, but I searched high and low till I finally decided to buy my first Supra early this month. I found a 42K TT Supra and I paid more then the prices mentioned. It is a six speed though with some light mods. Autos seem to be bringing slightly lower prices, so maybe that's an option for you if cost is a concern.

None the less if you can sell your Trans Am, which probably won't bring the same price a Mk IV Supra will, you'll be doing fairly well, given it's paid for.

If you have plans to go to college, as much as I hate to say it, consider waiting until you graduate and get your first real job. A good job will pay you back ten fold. I'm 25 and just got my first Supra. In the end it's just a car. There will always be other Supras on the market.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
Well, i bought mine 2 years ago, i was 19. it is a 93 and it had about 74k miles, but the body was great with the exception of some hail damage on the hood.

if you look hard enough, and can have the money fast (cuz they dont last long on the market) you can get one that makes you happy. my advise to you (since i was pretty much in the same bracket you are now) keep the record clean and start saving. the car is easy to afford, it is the insurance that kicks your ass.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts