Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the shop today, to see how my car is coming along and they tell me that the SAFC that I supplied them doesn't work at all. He's tried everything to get it to work and it won't turn on, even just with power and a ground it should light up and it doesn't. I bought this used and was assured that it worked before I bought. The problem is that my motor blew before I had a chance to install it so it sat for a few months waiting for install while the motor was being rebuilt. Only now did I find out that the thing is a $350(cdn) paper weight.

So what are my options I bought it from a guy I know and he recieved it from his brother in Vancouver. Am I just completely screwed on this? I've tried contacting the guy that I got it from but he has yet to get back to me. I'm a little bummed right now and needed to vent cause as it stands I'm out money and an SAFC to complete my car. Can the thing be repaired? or is that gonna cost me more then just buying another one.

Thanks(immensly pissed right now :mad: )

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can get an SAFC or an SAFR REAL cheap! Try opening up the SAFC, see what is wrong with it. Does the thing give off a background light? Also, the ground isn't so simple on the device. IIRC, two wires have to be grounded....this was on my SAFC2...a black and a brown wire. Double check your grouds. Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so aside from kicking and screaming and kicking my buddy in the nuts I'm pretty much taken this one in the netherregions I guess.

This is why I rarely buy used shit.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
post the guys name who u brought from...

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
MKIIINA said:
post the guys name who u brought from...
nah the guy could be totally blameless and some people are crazy here, they could've screwed it up hooking it up or who knows, never ever buy used electrical stuff and always hook it up yourself.

·
Mr. Jiggalo
342 Posts
^^^^^ exactly as I was about to say. Could be the installer's fault. They could have probably hook it up wrong and f*ck the shit out of it. You weren't there at the moment when they hook it up so there is no witness. They will just tell you like most shop do (ain't their fault, the damn thing must have been broken at first). So don't blame your friend. Next time, if it's electronic, buy it NEW... not use.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shop is pretty darn reputable and has hooked these up before. Me being there is not going to make a lick of difference being that I know nothing about electronics. He is not getting any power out of it what so ever won't even light up.

I talked to my buddy and he has emailed his brother about it. So far no response but he is going to try and get me the money back.

I'll have to wait and see.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,398 Posts
keep in mind, from a sellers standpoint, i would say "too bad". ive sold old computer hardware, have the person leave it on a shelf for 6 months, then claim it doesnt work. well, how to i know it was stored or installed properly? it worked when i had it.

just keep that in mind. if he offers to give you some money back, good, just dont get into an argument about it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enraged said:
keep in mind, from a sellers standpoint, i would say "too bad". ive sold old computer hardware, have the person leave it on a shelf for 6 months, then claim it doesnt work. well, how to i know it was stored or installed properly? it worked when i had it.

just keep that in mind. if he offers to give you some money back, good, just dont get into an argument about it.
Yeah I know this is why I feel I'm gonna get burned. I was ready to install but then the motor blew so install got postponed. I have a feeling the guy is gonna say tough luck you bought and I don't know what you did to it. Again why I hardly ever buy used stuff I always seem to get screwed :mad: Now either he'll take it back or I'm stuck with a nice paperweight and have to find a new one.

3,796 Posts
IIRC one of the ground wires has to be hooked up about an inch away from the other ground wires and one needs to be closer to the ECU....if you fail to do this it wont work and could possibly damage the unit. Get wiring instructions and try hooking it up yourself. Its not hard. I had absolutely no experience with electronics and I hooked mine up and it works fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Silver88Turbo said:
IIRC one of the ground wires has to be hooked up about an inch away from the other ground wires and one needs to be closer to the ECU....if you fail to do this it wont work and could possibly damage the unit. Get wiring instructions and try hooking it up yourself. Its not hard. I had absolutely no experience with electronics and I hooked mine up and it works fine.
If I get wiring instructions which set do I go off of. there are several different directions. Is it Karmen Vortex or Hotwire?

·
Mr. Jiggalo
342 Posts
or you could just sent it to me... $5.00 plus shipping.... I will take the misery out of your hand......

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
was it steven cullen....that f-en shithead.......owes a few of us america guys around 5k

stay away form him

·
Canada, Eh?
2,398 Posts
people should pull do what another SF member did to someone who ripped them off... no names, but if you know who it was, you know who not to try to rip off haha

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
-ViRuS- said:
or you could just sent it to me... $5.00 plus shipping.... I will take the misery out of your hand......
Well you will be my next option if I can neither get my money back or get a different one from the guy. How will you fix it?

Is it the Karmen Vortex wiring. Just curious now, to see if the shop did hook it up properly. From what I saw and what the shop told me, there was a fuse placed on the signal wire. I saw the fuse but figured it was on the power wire. Why would someone put a fuse there? I could see on the power wire as backup? My thought is that the guy gave power to the wrong wire and fried the unit. This is all speculation though. He was supposed to get back to me today and I haven't heard anything yet.

Just another headache in trying to get my car done. :(

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
you asked if the supra is vortex, or hot wire? its vortex... and i have no idea why a fuse would be placed on the afm wire.... my emanage doesnt have one, no can i think of any reason whi it would need one?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ckanderson said:
you asked if the supra is vortex, or hot wire? its vortex... and i have no idea why a fuse would be placed on the afm wire.... my emanage doesnt have one, no can i think of any reason whi it would need one?
Thasnks for clearing that up. Thenb the shop did follow the proper setup. As for the fuse my install guy was quite confused about that. I still have gotten no reply from the guy. I'm gonna give it a few more days to see and then I guess I'll be sending it to virus to see what he can do with it :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts