Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i'll run you through my situation that happens pretty frequently. ok, sometimes my i can boost all the way to 20 psi and other times i can barely get to 15 psi. tonight i went out to see how they were working and the first time i got on it i hit 19 no problem and then i turned around and i i hit 15. on my second run i got on it in 2nd gear and hit 14 psi, third gear 15, fourth gear 15psi, 5th gear it hit 19 psi. are my turbos just past there prime or what do you guys think? thanks
Clint

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
anything above 18 is said to be killer to the turbos ..it has been said!

S

·
0 Posts
This is a question I have had for a while... if I have a stock turbo setup and do my basic matainance and run 18psi+ once in a while (couple times a week) w/ FMIC.... will I still be killing turbos ...

also, what is the "safe" range of boost to run on a bpu car so you prolong the turbos the longest..

·
1,522 Posts
I think that it is safe to run around town with 16-17 psi. At the track I would never run anything over 19psi. I think anything over 17 psi quickly shortens the life of the turbos. I have talked to a couple of supra owners that have been running 17psi for 20-30 thousand miles on a bpu car and the turbos are still pulling strong.
The older your turbos are the less they can handle. The stock twins will last anywhere from 85k - 135k miles......with 100k being the average time the #2 turbo goes out.
What are the miles on your car? I had the same problem with my turbos. They would pull very hard and run 17-18psi and some days they would not boost over 15psi. My supra has been BPU for 30k miles and with 93k miles on it, and after popping off the IC piping and finding a lot of oil...it was time to retire the twins before they blew.
But my opinion is don't run more than 17 psi with a very occasional 18 if you want them to last.

I

·
0 Posts
SpdRcr0 said:
This is a question I have had for a while... if I have a stock turbo setup and do my basic matainance and run 18psi+ once in a while (couple times a week) w/ FMIC.... will I still be killing turbos ...

also, what is the "safe" range of boost to run on a bpu car so you prolong the turbos the longest..
I think the consensus is at abt 18psi, though i read an article which advised to go with 98octane fuel and subtract 1psi for every 1octane fuel reduced. I think thats more for the motor though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts