Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Laughing at u not with u
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so last weekend 2 girls got hit by an SUV putting 1 into a coma and the other pretty banged up. The people in the SUV ran away but were caught later this week. Now my roomate is friends with the one in the coma and comes home talking about how these people should be locked up for life and that they are monsters ect ect. It was late at night and both girls had been drinking as well.

Heres how the accident went down. The 2 girls were crossing a 4 laned street and were half way across when the light turned green. As they were crossing into the last lane a SUV went around the car into the open lane and hit the girls.
Ask yourself how many times you have come up to a light that has just turned green and switch lanes so you don't have to slow down.

Now I mentioned first off that both people in the SUV will probably be set free because there was no eye witnesses as to who was exactly driving the car. Secondly everyone is calling me an asshole because im "defending" the hit and run people. No I'm simply stating that they are people just like everyone else and that it could have been ANYONE that it happened to.

I put myself in their shoes, just starting my career and obtaining my lisences that I worked my ass off for. Now one night I go out with a friend and this happens. Accident or not it's a felony which would take away everything I have worked for in the past couple years. Guaranteeing (sp?') a shitty future for the rest of my life. I wouldn't run as they did but you can bet your ass it would cross my mind.

So SFOT am I just an asshole or a realist?

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts
Ok so last weekend 2 girls got hit by an SUV putting 1 into a coma and the other pretty banged up. The people in the SUV ran away but were caught later this week. Now my roomate is friends with the one in the coma and comes home talking about how these people should be locked up for life and that they are monsters ect ect. It was late at night and both girls had been drinking as well.

Heres how the accident went down. The 2 girls were crossing a 4 laned street and were half way across when the light turned green. As they were crossing into the last lane a SUV went around the car into the open lane and hit the girls.
Ask yourself how many times you have come up to a light that has just turned green and switch lanes so you don't have to slow down.

Now I mentioned first off that both people in the SUV will probably be set free because there was no eye witnesses as to who was exactly driving the car. Secondly everyone is calling me an asshole because im "defending" the hit and run people. No I'm simply stating that they are people just like everyone else and that it could have been ANYONE that it happened to.

I put myself in their shoes, just starting my career and obtaining my lisences that I worked my ass off for. Now one night I go out with a friend and this happens. Accident or not it's a felony which would take away everything I have worked for in the past couple years. Guaranteeing (sp?') a shitty future for the rest of my life. I wouldn't run as they did but you can bet your ass it would cross my mind.

So SFOT am I just an asshole or a realist?
Realist.

But I can relate to these 2 drunken whores, the driver should have been more cautious.

·
Borris the blade..
243 Posts
They ran after hitting them... so if you run after hitting someone, and try to justify this with "who doesnt switch lanes," then yeah I say your an ass. All you gotta do is stop.

besides when something like this happens people just need someone to blame. So in that sense I would call you a realist.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Your story isn't too clear... Was the driver of the SUV drunk/drinking?

I've done the same thing many times and can see how that could happen to me too. Being that I don't know either party in the incident I would say that it was an accident, plain and simple, and while I feel terrible for the girls that were hit the driver of the SUV should not be pressed with charges for hitting them, but they should be charged for leaving the scene / failing to render aid. If I were a close friend of the victim I could see myself being very angry at the driver and hoping they were locked up. I think your friend may just be letting his emotions get in the way of his reasoning which is pretty understandable.

·
In for teh nudez.
286 Posts

I've done the same thing many times and can see how that could happen to me too. Being that I don't know either party in the incident I would say that it was an accident, plain and simple, and while I feel terrible for the girls that were hit the driver of the SUV should not be pressed with charges for hitting them, but they should be charged for leaving the scene / failing to render aid. If I were a close friend of the victim I could see myself being very angry at the driver and hoping they were locked up. I think your friend may just be letting his emotions get in the way of his reasoning which is pretty understandable.
The 2 women pedestrians were the ones that were intoxicated.

·
Laughing at u not with u
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry there is no evidence that the driver was drunk or w/e. The same thing happened last summer to a girl I went to high school with. The kid that hit her was 23 only got 2 years but still got the felony manslaughter charge.

My dad always got on my case about drinking and driving because 2 DWI's is a felony (in NY) and would take away any chance of me getting my securities lisences. So it scares me that accidents like this could fuck someone and their career.

·
Free Legal Advice
1,332 Posts
Realist...

An asshole wouldn't have cared enough to make a thread about it.

10-4

Not knowing either party involved, you're a realist. You might just have to deal with people you know calling you an asshole for a little bit...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Realist. I can't tell you how many times working in D.C. I have come close to doing this. They passed a new law that no matter what, the pedestrian has the right of way. Even if they step out, in the middle of traffic, while said traffic has a green light. Since they passed it, people do just that. They walk out and expect you to stop. It is more prominent at night when I am leaving work at 2am. They casually walk across the street, most of the time not even looking. So I have no sympathy.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
It's illegal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection. I don't do it at all, because I've seen people get smashed when someone is trying to make a right turn in a "clear" lane only to have someone change their mind at the last minute and pull into the other lane, effectively taking off the whole front of the car.

That being said, I'm wary about crosswalks. I fucking run through those bitches as fast as I can, because people just don't care.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't believe they switched lanes in the intersection. I think they were driving up on the car stopped at the light that just turned green and the SUV switched lanes to drive by the car instead of slowing down behind them.

I see it as a total accident but they should be charged for leaving a scene of a crime.

·
Taxation is complicated
972 Posts
The last part of your post is irrelevant. Whatever really happened in the accident was what mattered, and you analyzed the event based on the given information relevant in the real world.

You're a realist, but you're also an asshole for not displaying a sense of sympathy for the injured. Since you already mentioned that you shared an empathy with the SUV guys, why not with the victims? For that inequality part, my friend, you are fulfilling the definition of "asshole".

·
Laughing at u not with u
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last part of your post is irrelevant. Whatever really happened in the accident was what mattered, and you analyzed the event based on the given information relevant in the real world.

You're a realist, but you're also an asshole for not displaying a sense of sympathy for the injured. Since you already mentioned that you shared an empathy with the SUV guys, why not with the victims? For that inequality part, my friend, you are fulfilling the definition of "asshole".
Na man don't get me wrong it sucks and all but I guess I'm just getting annoyed with my roomates friends coming over here everyday and crying about it. And I look like a dick because things like this don't phase me. People die everyday whether you know them or not it's going to happen and shouldn't have detrimental effects on your life for a long period of time.

How is the last part of the post irrelevant. It was a role playing situation I explained. and Camach explained the lane thing how it went down.

·
That bearded guy
547 Posts
Imagine if the two girls were your family or your wife and daughter. How would you feel then? I'd say your an asshole for having zero sympathy.

·
Dont question the good Dr
473 Posts
you want sympathy? Look in the dictionary between SHIT and SYPHILIS a haha, a ho ho ho!!

·
Cupcake boss :p
88 Posts
If they did NOTHING wrong why did they leave the scene and not call 911 or stay and clear themselves? I'd say you're not an asshole but you should really consider these guys are full of shit since they left the scene of the crime only they know the truth.

·
Borris the blade..
243 Posts
Na man don't get me wrong it sucks and all but I guess I'm just getting annoyed with my roomates friends coming over here everyday and crying about it. .

Someone close to them just fucking died. I understand that you understand "how" this could happen, but for you to get annoyed that someone is grieving over a lost loved one.....makes you an ass in my book. Yes people die everyday but you dont have direct interaction, memories, times with them.

The thought alone that I would never get to see someone that I like ever again is sad in itself. Much less if they died in a horrible fashion before thier time. You can be a "realist" and get the situation without having to be a dick to the people that grieve.

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
Just do what I do, pretend you care. I don't think it makes me a liar, but if it makes them happy then so be it. I don't care about your problems, you shouldn't care about mine. That doesn't mean I won't listen and offer advice if I care about you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts