Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the manual boost controllers, like the ones with the little rotating knob that you adjust under the hood, do just as good as a job as the more expensive electronic boost controllers? Any input here? I've heard it just does the same thing... I was looking at the HKS Universal VBC Manual Boost Controller on MVP's website...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Manual boost controllers work as well....some claim they even prevent boost spike better than the electrnoci ones..

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I've had a manual for several years now with no complaints. Its no special name brand either. I love not having all the extra crap in my car (wires and controllers).

I'll buy into all that drama once my car goes single :)

·
To Go Beyond
1,143 Posts
I have the GReddy Profec B Spec II boost controller and I love it.

I have had no problems as well.

I have it mounted on top of my steering column. It is very easy to use once you have played with it for a bit. With a push of a button you can have hi/low boost settings changed.

What I like about it other than it is clear and easy to use is that it records your highest actual boost etc. so you can see if you are spiking and to what extent. Then by simply turning down the gain you will notice the "spikes" drop down and down as you get it to where you want it. As well, you can set a warning psi. For instance I have mine set at 16.2psi. When my boost approaches 16.2 it will glow red and an alarm goes off. If I stay in it above this point more than a second or two the unit will reduce my boost by a set percentage (user determined) in order to keep you in your healthy desired range. In other words, if I start to boost higher than I want, it will detect it and reduce my boost. I get an ever so little head jerk when it happens, but I know it is a safety device and it is working.

Also, it reads boost in real time so it eliminates the need for a boost gauge.... as it is one.... a digital one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^ i had a profec B in my S14 and I agree. the thing with any boost controller is it requires knowledge...you can really screw up a car unless you know what youre doing. so RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH first. the Profec B required a little bit of playing around and watching PSI on the boost gauge, but it was really nice

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
An MBC will work as well as any electronic unit, and will usually allow quicker spool up.
The best ones are the Joe P MBC and Hallman MBC.
MBCs are used on the fastest turbo cars in the country.

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
I have my MBC mounted in the cigarette lighter hole. It works great and never had any issues . Easy and clean. It the Turbonetics MBC.

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
From what I've read over the years, some MBC's work better than EBC's. It holds boost more accurately.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kbprice said:
I have my MBC mounted in the cigarette lighter hole. It works great and never had any issues . Easy and clean. It the Turbonetics MBC.
Cool setup! Never seen that before, I will take that idea in mind when i do the install.

As far as where im going, well i talked to a few buddies and they recommended a manual boost controller is better for my BPU application, simple, easy to use, and straightfoward. I had the Profec B spec 2 on my white 97, and it was a little pain in the ass finding out how to use it, but eventually got the hang of it. Im basically getting something that only gets the job done right, but is also cost effective. If i was a huge single turbo with AEM, etc. , then id go the extra mile for the electronic, but manual seems the way to go. :x:

·
Registered
259 Posts
kbprice said:
Agree, that is a cool idea. I'm wondering how you routed it to avoid weird boost characteristics caused by the lines being too long?

Thanks,
Ash

·
Fineline Performance
787 Posts
Carlos ya jerk!!!!:) I see you got a beautiful hard top man that thing looks nice! Are you still in town? Or did you go back to Cali? If so man hit me up so I can put you on the list to go to DA CLUB..... Holla!!!!

Anyways I hear that the MBC is the same exsact thing as a EBC its all about how much money you have and if you want to spend it! I guess what Im trying to say is they both work the same!!!!! I NEED A SUPRA LMK if you know anyone selling theres, you know people that know people hehehehe!!!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh yeah i forgot to answer the main question...

I use a manual boost controller and i love it, no wiring or spike and its easy to remove to have a friend use briefly or vice versa. Best part = cheap as hell or even free if you have good friends.

·
Registered
278 Posts
manual boost controllers are the best once you set em thats it . but electronic does give you an advantage of two settings usually.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
No, they don't work as good, they work better IMO. less convenient, but more predictable...I only use electronic because I like multiple settings...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mkbvictory said:
Carlos ya jerk!!!!:) I see you got a beautiful hard top man that thing looks nice! Are you still in town? Or did you go back to Cali? If so man hit me up so I can put you on the list to go to DA CLUB..... Holla!!!!

Anyways I hear that the MBC is the same exsact thing as a EBC its all about how much money you have and if you want to spend it! I guess what Im trying to say is they both work the same!!!!! I NEED A SUPRA LMK if you know anyone selling theres, you know people that know people hehehehe!!!!
LOL, you coulda had the white 97 for 35k originally, instead someone in Seattle is enjoying it! Yup, i got me a nice red hardtop with low miles, enjoying every minute of it. Ill get at you when its clubbin time. BTW, shoot me your phone # bro, i know you've changed it, i dont have it on me. Ill let you know if i see anything, but you know your best bet is to just watch EBAY and the classifieds and be ready to attack with cash money. Dont be hesitant sometimes, cuz you "might" lose out on a good deal.

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
lol idk i have a manual and it seems even after turning down the boost signifcantly, im still spking like 15psi, I have to play around with it more haha

Matt

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Manual ones are fine...I thought about buying the TurboXS dual stage one before.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I had an HKS Manual Boost Controller and it would creep up. I had to set it low so that it wouldn't creep too high. For example I set it to hit 12 psi right away, and by 6000-7000 rpms I was at 15-16 psi depending on the temperature oustide.

Now I have the EVC, and it hits 17 psi right away and holds right there. I would recommend the Electronic Boost Controllers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts