Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is 93oct. from Mobil , BP, Shell, the same as 93oct. from your Local
Gas Station(City Gas) ? i've always wondered this and from what i've been told when i was in marketing class, Bigger Gas Station companies get the better grade fuel

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I think its more the ol corner station isn't real consistant with thier base stocks, so you dont always get the same fuel in your car everytime. I dont bother going there just for peace of mind. I dont mind spendin the extra 5 cents a gallon

Alex

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i usually only use Mobil or Exxon, since my folks been using it since i was a toddler,... and around here, Mobil is usually 15-20cents more then Local Gas, and 5-10 cents more then Shell, BP etc....

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Yeah over here we are like the 5th highet in the country, so most places are within 20 cents of each other. I just never trusted other places, and phillips here sells BS 90 octane, or 90.5 :lol: . Im like wtf is that. Everywhere else is 91.

Alex

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Exxon or BP for me.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
I use to go with shell and exxon etc... but after reading a article on scc mag regarding if all fuels are the same, I only stop by gas stations now that have the Top Tier logo, based on the article form scc mag they say only select gas stations that go through many different tests and certifcations get the TT apporval. maybe I'm just paranoid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I syphon mine from my neighbor's tank, it's alot cheaper that way. I'll have to ask him what he use's the next time I see him. :)

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Pretty interesting under the "Retailers" section to see some of the names there, and the lack there-of as well. I'll still hit the Sunoco station when I can find one...94 octane mang!

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
What does everyone think of Sinclair stations? Here we have Chevron 91 so I run the Sinclair 93. If you can't trust a big green gumbi dinasour, who can you trust?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
All fuel comes up the same pipeline in batches. It goes to the same rack where the tanker will pick it up to deliver to a station. The only difference between brands is some add additional detergents etc. for branded gasoline. The main thing you want to look at when buying fuel (especially premium) is volume of the station. The more the station moves fuel the fresher it is and therefore better.

Mike

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
kerry1 said:
I syphon mine from my neighbor's tank, it's alot cheaper that way. I'll have to ask him what he use's the next time I see him.
LOL, when I used to work a temp job at U-Haul we did the same thing form the 24ft trucks that used gas, it wasn't premium but it was still gas for our dailys lol.:)

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
other than 93 chevron my lexus will idle crappy or miss a little bit. especially texaco or exxon...that stuff is garbage. mobil seems ok. plus that top tier gas thing shows indy tests chevron burning better than anyone else. in fact chevron was the only brand to pass the top tier tests without modding thier gas; some companies worked a while and still never passed, like shell texaco and exxon.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed at the Koch Refinery, just south of Minneapolis, which supplies 80% of the midwest's fuel needs, every tanker truck from every gas company you could imagine is lining up to be filled...I think its all a scam, everyone claiming there gas is different...Just my O2...

Dave

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
IMO gas is gas and usually all gas is the same. Just use a high volume station and that looks clean (maybe they change filters frequently ;)).

eblick99 said:
especially texaco or exxon...that stuff is garbage. mobil seems ok.
FYI... Exxon & Mobil same company do you really think their gas is that different?

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I think the fuel is the same but the bigger companies use some additives like someone mentioned. I usually see a difference of about 4 cents or something though so it's not even worth my time to wonder.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
I promise the base fuel is all the same.....no matter what anyone says. The difference is in the additives. The local economart (or whatever) gas in town gets the same shit as Chevron, they just pour different additives into the Chevron section of the truck before it leaves.

As to who has the best additives.....that I don't know. I would assume the higher end gas stations have more money to spend on development of that kinda stuff.

Also the local guys often don't have the higher grade.....In Canada at least, Sunoco and Chevron have 94 and most others max out at 91

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
Northof49 said:
I promise the base fuel is all the same.....no matter what anyone says. The difference is in the additives. The local economart (or whatever) gas in town gets the same shit as Chevron, they just pour different additives into the Chevron section of the truck before it leaves.

As to who has the best additives.....that I don't know. I would assume the higher end gas stations have more money to spend on development of that kinda stuff.

Also the local guys often don't have the higher grade.....In Canada at least, Sunoco and Chevron have 94 and most others max out at 91
Fellows it’s the truth! All are the same and I know for a fact. I work at a refinery and all brands of suppliers have trucks loading 24-7 and the only difference is the additives! Now that be said don’t thing the additives don’t make a difference as the Techron that Chevron adds has been after for purchase by other companies and I’m sure they are trying to purchase the formula because it doesn’t matter, how would they.

Chevron all the way!
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/techron/techback.shtml

David

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
yup, gas is gas. i fill up at Costo and my car runs fine. i've also filled up at the bigger places and those corner stores and there is no difference.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts