Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy before me did...and now I have to pay for it...

Heres the story: I was going on the interstate, getting up to 70-80 MPH (I dont know for sure, I still need to pick up a speedo cable :stickpoke ) and suddenly, my hood flew up and hit my windsheild, bending the hood pretty bad, probably beyond the hood's repair. One of my struts wasnt connected to the hood and the chassis, so I knew I needed to fix that, however as of now, neither are :stickpoke (as in the remaining one was ripped off)

Also, the hood latch was bent a bit, which didnt help.

I should have pics tomorrow...last time I get a "one of a kind uber JDM hood scoop". I now have no greater priority than to repair all the little things that I've been putting off saying "yeah I need to fix that"

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
so what did that have to do with cutting out the supports? did it bend or something?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
that was smart....

-joe :run:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hood - must have been a bad day...

Anyway, when you replace your hood struts, Auto Zone sells a "Mighty-Lift" brand that works great; about $22 ea. I put them on mine over 2 years ago and they work great.

The part number is D95211.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Man that suxs. I guess its just some peoples luck with the hood. Ive had mine unlatched before and was going 70 on the freeway for like 10 miles before I noticed it was up (knock on wood). Just stopped and pushed it back down and kept going :p

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
nice goin....even if both struts were connected to the hood...they would be NOTHING to keep the hood from flying at your windshield...70mph wind ovver that large hood surface = like 1000 lb of torque :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
totally true. both my struts are completly blown and do absoulelty nothing but sit there, its your latch that keeps it down not a strut.

NegativeGeForce said:
nice goin....even if both struts were connected to the hood...they would be NOTHING to keep the hood from flying at your windshield...70mph wind ovver that large hood surface = like 1000 lb of torque :stickpoke

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Sorry to hear that O.Z... But I dunno if it was yur struts, more probably a bad latch... Do you have before and after pics? I'd like to see what you are talking about before the hood flew up...

Did it smash your windshield or damage the car other than the hood?

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Are you talking about someone who cut the under side or reinforcement part of the hood? Anyone who cuts vents through the reinforcement (underside) of the hood is just asking for trouble.

I also have a question about CF hoods that has not been resolved yet. (to my satisfaction anyway.)

One thing every stock hood is designed to do is fold up on impact in a crash. If your hood did not do this, it could shear off the hinges, slice through the windshield, and decapitate passengers.

The CF hoods, being stronger than stock, and possibly not using stock designed reinforcements, could and in my opinion WILL shear off the hinges/pins and come right into the passenger compartment in a frontal impact.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
adjuster said:
I also have a question about CF hoods that has not been resolved yet. (to my satisfaction anyway.)

One thing every stock hood is designed to do is fold up on impact in a crash. If your hood did not do this, it could shear off the hinges, slice through the windshield, and decapitate passengers.

The CF hoods, being stronger than stock, and possibly not using stock designed reinforcements, could and in my opinion WILL shear off the hinges/pins and come right into the passenger compartment in a frontal impact.
The CF hoods are not bad as people think. I have one guy that hit a deer in his car and his hood did crumple. I don't know of too many with accidents with carbon hoods and after all they are not crash tested. Also, as far as the hood ripping off hinges, the Supra and many other cars have what they call inkursion pins from the factory to prevent this. Almost every car these days have them. (some cheap cars don't) I don't know the ecxact reason why his hood did what it did as it is not clear to me. Does the hood have a proper latch to catch it in case it pops up?
CF hoods are very light and I really doubt they would go through a windscreen. I CAN see a 47 pound OEM hood doing that though if the inkursion pins broke off. It also really depends on the type of impact but in a front on I think the CF hood would do better than the OEM.

My .02

Duane

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Thanks for hopping in there Duane, I'm still doing some more research, but at this point, have not really seen where the CF hoods are causing any injuries to occupants. (But they do tend to not react like they should, and while the stock hinges are supposed to be caught if the hinge pin shears, many of the hoods I've seen have the hinge mounting location fail, so the hood is free to be pushed back into the windshild, and the hinge parts remain intact.)

Most of the losses involving CF or fiberglass hoods are from improper latching, and securing of the hood. (via pins, or using a properly adjusted latch and safety catch.) These generally blow up and into the windshield and roof, and then possibly fail at the hinges and are detached from the vehicle at that point.
The accidents I'm looking into are frontal at speeds of 30mph or more. (This is where the stock folding hood and hinge retention are crucial. At these speeds, the vehicle is generally totalled, and occupant safety becomes an issue.

I'm tempted to buy a CF hood for the lightweight factor as well as the ability to add custom vents in more ways w/o adding 5 lbs of weight to a already heavy hood. CFX makes a very nice hood, and from what I can see, you guys replicated the underside of the hood, including the dimples that allow a stock hood to fold up under impact. Retaining this "weak" point is important so the hood will fold up like it's supposed to do on impact.

Anyone crashed, or have pics of a crashed frontal impact to a CF hooded vehicle? I'd like to get my hands on the photos, or better yet, the hood if possible.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
No Problem Adjuster.

The latch as you can see on the home page of our site is actually THE BEST out there. I do not know anyone that has anything close to this. (no pins needed) Anyhoo, as I remember the hood did crumple. Yes we did make an EXACT copy of the underside for that reason. (To have it work like factory.) You do not need pins on a CFX hood as again you can see on the website how they work.

I did have a pic of a guy that hit a deer but I lost a bunch of info on my puter when I got it cleaned up. Virus etc.. :blah: It was a Mazda Protege.

Any time I can help with some info I will. :)

Duane

·
Registered
144 Posts
A freind of mine lost control of his civic si at 160 on a freeway bridge, endend up impacting head on with the gaurdrail, bumper went down, cf hood popped open, barely any damage to hood and the rest of the car was about the same minus a foot or two

·
greasemonkey
3,126 Posts
160mph is impossible in a civic with the stock gear ratios.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts