Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I'm just putting in new rca cables from my headunit to my amp. The amp only powers a single 12" sub. The previous rca cable snapped and i have a cheap one from a dvd player or something laying around the house. Does the type/brand of rca cable really make a difference that i will notice? Would it be bad just to tape of the snapped wire? Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance. :sadance:

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
At least use something that is twisted, if not braided pair

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
in a word...... yes

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Yes... but no...

the main reason RCA cables are important are to resist noise inductance from other wires, power cables, etc...

for a sub, and someone who I'm GUESSING (don't take offense) isn't really hardcore into car audio, a 20 or 30 dollar set would probally be perfect... you're not going to notice noise as much on a sub where you would on your mids and highs.

:)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Justin said:
Yes... but no...

the main reason RCA cables are important are to resist noise inductance from other wires, power cables, etc...

for a sub, and someone who I'm GUESSING (don't take offense) isn't really hardcore into car audio, a 20 or 30 dollar set would probally be perfect... you're not going to notice noise as much on a sub where you would on your mids and highs.

:)

Hey thanks that's exactly what i was looking for. No offense takin i'm not looking for any magic here just something to add some bass to this system. I'll go out and buy something decent now thanks for all your replies!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The short answer: no. The long answer: no

Really expensive cables will not be any different than moderate $20 cables. really. as long as your cable is adequately shielded, it will make little difference.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
a nice set of RCA's will sound a lot cleaner than a set of Red&Whites bought at wallmart in the home audio section.

i'm not saying you need to go out and buy the JL Audio blue's for about $100 a set, but at least get a semi decent set.

·
HKS Twins
432 Posts
Has anyone even compared the two? I worked in Mobil audio for over two years. I have swaped out tons of RCA cables and the diff is night and day. If were talking about 2.99 cables and 29.99 cables there is a big diff. High end cables that range in the 50-100 range i cant hear a diff but cheapos cables and insulated cable, night and day! Using cheap rca cables in certain cars reguardless of how they are ran gives off engine noise. Do you self a favor buy something decent. Im not telling you to get a pair of 100 dollar but something decent!

·
1,057 Posts
yeah I would also have to say there is most def a difference between cheapo cables (under 10) and moderately prices ones (like 30+)

·
Banned
299 Posts
There can be a huge difference in cables. Braided cables with oxy free copper and PVC insulation are going to sound immensely different and better than a $3 set from wal-mart. If you are just looking to add a little bass, its really up to you on how much you think its worth it. But if you were going for high-end clarity and great sound, there is no substitute for high quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts