Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slow Talking Salesman
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told the stock rod bolts are the weakest link and not the rods themselves, this true?

And who here has Eagle rods and whats your thoughts on them? Its time to rebuild my motor and thinking about CP pistons with Eagle rods w/ARP rod bolts. I have heard Eagle rods are rated to over 1200 crank hp with the ARP 2000 rod bolts and wanted to hear some more about this?

Thanks

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i dont think the eagles will withstand the 1200 hp highest reported hp to eagle techs is 900 hp. i wouldnt go much higher on the eagles.

·
resident cuban
59 Posts
Well , thats a good question !! Eagle rods are not that bad if you own a honda or something which really will not be making any serious power anytime soon ! When I do engines I try think of the HP power out-put VS Tq and eagle rods do work just fine in MANY cars but using them on a supra to me is out the question ! Lately I've found myself working more and more on SRT-4 's and its a VERY well known fact that Howell Automotive sent Eagle Rods a stock SRT-4 rod and asked them to test the rod and make him one better . A few weeks later Eagle sent him back the rod and told him " at this time we do not offer a rod significently better than the rod you sent us" that was just under 4 years ago . I'm not in anyway saying that a stock rod will be better than Eagle but that the rods are NOT the best you can use if you're thinking about laying down some power ! I know that the price is very tempting but theres a good reason why most on this forum use Carrillo , Pauter , Oliver and Crower in their build-ups . As theres also a good reason why Eagle rods are about half and sometimes less then half the price of teh rods above .
I say , spend the extra cash and get the best rods you can ! We're talking about sending an extra $300-$500 ( give or take ) or maybe and I say maybe ; spending thousands on doing the build-up again due to a rod sticking out the side of the block .

Regards

Frank

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
There was a huge thread about eagle rods about 2 weeks ago in here.

Verdict - Lightest rod. Pretty strong. Weak point is the rod bolts that come with it. Upgraded rod bolts are a must.

Now that was from the thread. I have no personal experience with them. My good buddy has them on a 1600 rwhp 10.5 tire stang that's cranking out over 30psi on alcohol. He's got 3 seasons on them, so they can't be all bad.

·
resident cuban
59 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
There was a huge thread about eagle rods about 2 weeks ago in here.

Verdict - Lightest rod. Pretty strong. Weak point is the rod bolts that come with it. Upgraded rod bolts are a must.

Now that was from the thread. I have no personal experience with them. My good buddy has them on a 1600 rwhp 10.5 tire stang that's cranking out over 30psi on alcohol. He's got 3 seasons on them, so they can't be all bad.
I did hear about 10 months ago , they did change out their forgings which have made the rods stronger . From what I have seen through the years is that they have let go of the caps many times with and without the upgraded bolts . I do know of MANY V8 guys that use them and love them and they are making some serious power, myself I wouldn't use them in any Supra engine I would build - thats just me . Overall they are good rods but why not get something a lot better for just a bit more ?

Frank

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had bought a set of eagle rods. I had them balanced and they were off far more than the claimed +- 2 grams. Also the small end rod bearing had to be machined for the wrist pin to even fit.

Needless to say I sold them....

·
Registered
576 Posts
See sig for my numbers. My motor has over 5k miles pushing at least 650rwhp with many 800+whp runs. No issues to date.

·
OG
754 Posts
i've been running the eagles for the past 3 years.

with over 100 drag race passes & tons of dyno pulls & alot of weekend cruising. these are still going strong with well over 800 rwhp.

definitely not the best rod out there for the supra, but they are stronger than the stockers for sure.

·
Banned
381 Posts
Turborush said:
See sig for my numbers. My motor has over 5k miles pushing at least 650rwhp with many 800+whp runs. No issues to date.

BTW how you liking the Z? Once you get used to it i'd like to see you take it to the track as that car was knocking on 9's.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
mike91t said:
I had bought a set of eagle rods. I had them balanced and they were off far more than the claimed +- 2 grams. Also the small end rod bearing had to be machined for the wrist pin to even fit.

Needless to say I sold them....

I've received a few questions on the problems I encounted with my eagle rods and want to clarify.

The rod small end needed machined because the tolerence was closer than the recommended tolerence from toyota and although the wrist pin fit, excessive drag could be felt when moving the piston back and fourth on the rod and my machine shop honed the bearing so that the fit was perfect.

My rods balanced at +-3 to 4 grams. They were balanced aftward to 0 gram difference.

I beleive these rods although cheaper, the buyer should be aware of possible machining for these rods to be the quality of others that cost 3x as much. Of course I had only $100 extra in the machining, I know alot of people buy parts and take the manufactures word for it;and install them without checking.

My carrillos for example needed balanced to when they were checked too though so :wtflol: :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts