Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
resident cuban
59 Posts
Well , thats a good question !! Eagle rods are not that bad if you own a honda or something which really will not be making any serious power anytime soon ! When I do engines I try think of the HP power out-put VS Tq and eagle rods do work just fine in MANY cars but using them on a supra to me is out the question ! Lately I've found myself working more and more on SRT-4 's and its a VERY well known fact that Howell Automotive sent Eagle Rods a stock SRT-4 rod and asked them to test the rod and make him one better . A few weeks later Eagle sent him back the rod and told him " at this time we do not offer a rod significently better than the rod you sent us" that was just under 4 years ago . I'm not in anyway saying that a stock rod will be better than Eagle but that the rods are NOT the best you can use if you're thinking about laying down some power ! I know that the price is very tempting but theres a good reason why most on this forum use Carrillo , Pauter , Oliver and Crower in their build-ups . As theres also a good reason why Eagle rods are about half and sometimes less then half the price of teh rods above .
I say , spend the extra cash and get the best rods you can ! We're talking about sending an extra $300-$500 ( give or take ) or maybe and I say maybe ; spending thousands on doing the build-up again due to a rod sticking out the side of the block .

Regards

Frank

·
resident cuban
59 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
There was a huge thread about eagle rods about 2 weeks ago in here.

Verdict - Lightest rod. Pretty strong. Weak point is the rod bolts that come with it. Upgraded rod bolts are a must.

Now that was from the thread. I have no personal experience with them. My good buddy has them on a 1600 rwhp 10.5 tire stang that's cranking out over 30psi on alcohol. He's got 3 seasons on them, so they can't be all bad.
I did hear about 10 months ago , they did change out their forgings which have made the rods stronger . From what I have seen through the years is that they have let go of the caps many times with and without the upgraded bolts . I do know of MANY V8 guys that use them and love them and they are making some serious power, myself I wouldn't use them in any Supra engine I would build - thats just me . Overall they are good rods but why not get something a lot better for just a bit more ?

Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.