Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not that I respect people less if they pay someone for building their car, but.......fuckit yeah, I hate it when people say they have a 600rwhp car, and then say some company built it for them.

I'm rebuilding my mk3 at the moment and it will have 600rwhp.

JE pistons
Race-prepared conrods
Lightened crank
T61 Turbo
plus much more......

I just don't think people should show of work they didn't do!

what do you think?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
I think it's smart for everyone to know their limitations and work to those limits. These include, intellect, physical, available resources (tools) and especially financial. But yeah, I get alot more satisfaction from doing it all myself over paying someone else.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
This current motor is my first attempt at doing this. It makde the numbers you see below.

I'm doing another one soon with ross pistons and more stuff. I also plan to rebuild the R154 while I'm at it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rajunz speaks the truth! I do almost everything on my car myself, two HG replacements so far, bodywork, suspension, brakes, electronics install and tuning, but I got a pro to assemble my shortblock. I just don't have the equipment to accurately measure bearing tolerances and assemble piston rings, gudgeon pins etc. His expertise, equipment and experience cost me $150 on top of the machining costs to get the assembly done, it would have cost me that much to get all the gear I needed and this way I KNOW it's been done right, I've never built an engine before and ballsing up a built 7M would be an expensive lesson! I've stripped a few 7M's down so I know how it is all supposed to go, but that's not quite the same as assembling one to tight tolerances etc! Same as I'd get a pro to respray it rather than buying a spraybooth etc myself I guess :p

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I think you speak of assembly, I do not do line bores, etc it is more fitting for a good machine shop with the proper machines to do that stuff.
btw, 600 hp is pretty ambitious, why that number?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Everything but the shortblock assembly. I was at the shop and we kind of assembled it together - that way if anything came up, we could deal with it right then and there. Was well worth the $200 or so. I would NOT advise someone to assemble a bottom end without having someone who has done it many times before being there with them, especially if there's big money in the parts.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
RICH7MGTE said:

what do you think?
Ok so keep your entire car in the garage... did you design anything on the supra? No, I believe toyota did.

This post is retarded. Everyone has their limits... most people do not have access to the right equipment in their garage to do everything especially when it comes to major engine work. It does not make them any less "worthy" of displaying their car. :rolleyes:

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I gots a free 7M-GTE long block, sittin in my garage right now.. will be built up by me for sure, except for the machine work... No idea when thats gonna happen, but it will be nice as hell :)

·
2,279 Posts
You won't make 600 rwhp with a T61 on a 7M. 2JZ struggle to break 600rwhp on that turbo. If you spray however, you can make it no prob.

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
I pretty much put every thing on my car with alot of help from J&R. I shows how hard it is to build a quality piece.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Time is a limiting factor here.
I did the HG repair once. Now I am about to replace my engine. I did not build it, not that I did not want to but because I did not have time to. I would love to learn how to and check all the bearing tolerances etc, but I need to be realistic. Family, wife, house, job etc etc. As it stands I would like to have the car ready to be on the read for late next spring. If I were rebuilding the entire short block also it might not be untill spring 2005.
Does this mean that I cant show off my car???

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
steve_mk3 said:
Time is a limiting factor here.
I did the HG repair once. Now I am about to replace my engine. I did not build it, not that I did not want to but because I did not have time to. I would love to learn how to and check all the bearing tolerances etc, but I need to be realistic. Family, wife, house, job etc etc. As it stands I would like to have the car ready to be on the read for late next spring. If I were rebuilding the entire short block also it might not be untill spring 2005.
Does this mean that I cant show off my car???
Exactly. Somepeople have a busy life. Regardless if they could figure out how to do everything themself, if they have the money, it is usually better to pay somebody to build it for them. Who wants to wait so darn long to fit the build into whatever little spare time you have just so that way you can say you did it? We all take satisfaction out of complete understanding of how everything was built and how it works and doing it all ourselves ... but if you don't have the time and you have the money then get somebody to build it for you. Heck, maybe you can get a fellow enthusiast to do it for you ... if you get a good contract written up and or you trust them very well. This way you get to spend time on what you need and you let a fellow enthusiast do what they like to do and make some money while they're at it.

We like building, yes, BUT ... I don't criticize anyone for having a shop build it if they know what exactly was done and why etc. I don't even criticize the people who have no clue what they paid for and just know how to drive and love to drive fast etc. I don't even like to criticize the people who have no clue what they paid for and who can't drive either. BUT ... there more somebody knows about what they paid for and the better they ae at driving ... then of course the more respect that I would think they deserved.

Good point by me? I think so. *He shoots, He scores!!*:D ;) :cool:

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
I don't really care if someone goes out and pays a shop to build a car for them. Big deal, not everyone is a mechanic.

I do all of my own work, personally, however. There's a degree of pride involved, yes, but the most important metric is knowing everything is done right. Only way to be absolutely certain of that is to do it yourself.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RICH7MGTE said:
It's not that I respect people less if they pay someone for building their car, but.......fuckit yeah, I hate it when people say they have a 600rwhp car, and then say some company built it for them.

I'm rebuilding my mk3 at the moment and it will have 600rwhp.

what do you think?
What do I think?
I think your snobby attitude belongs on the mk4 section.
Not every one has the time to do every thing them self. I do as much as I can but its not very much. In case you have forgotten if you screw up on this car its not very often it will be a $20 part.
And for me, I knew nothing about cars before I bought mine a couple of years ago. Its not like the Supra is some simple piece of
crap domestic.

What you popped out and knew how to fix your car?!
:fight:
Allan

3,796 Posts
Ive done a HG repair and that was my first time really working on a car. But now I'm in school and just dont have the time an/or equipment to do a rebuild. Plus I found a guy who actually gives a shit about the work done a I know is going to give me a better job than I could do. As for dudes w/ 600 hp cars and have never turned an wrench, they get no respect for their cars from me....

·
Registered
948 Posts
"What do I think?
I think your snobby attitude belongs on the mk4 section."

mk4 guys dont even drive there cars themselves do they? lol like... wear gloves to touch the shifter and shit. lol

theres a certain amount of pride in building your own car, but honestly, if i had the money to do so.. i wouldnt touch it. money to do so meaning... enought money to do everything i wanted anyway to the car.... times 50. i built my car which is extramely basic carbed rwd 4cyl... but it was good learning experience.

i plan on building the straight 6 going into the car myself as well

"Its not like the Supra is some simple piece of
crap domestic. "

and as for that.. pull your pigheaded cocky ass head out your ass. you drive a supra... big deal.

these "simple piece of crap domestics" put out 400 hp and still get 20 mph NA... ive yet to see toyota match that feat. i'm a tried and true toyota owner (i turned 19 this month, and this is my third toyota, never owned anotehr brand)

when it comes down to it. the crappy domestics stomp your ass.... they stomp my ass and basically everyone on this forum's. i dont like domestics, but i'm not a hater.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I do everything on my car, I built the engine, exhaust, all the bodywork and prep, built my intercooler, hardpipes, boost controller, intalled the suspension, built heavyduty adjustable swaybar end links, made targa bars. I am fabricating a T04E steup right now, and will make a tubular exhaust manifold. I also made my front strut bar. Custom electric fans, installed a 3 core rad from a 1970 Nova and I even got to drive my car on the dyno when I was tunning. There is more but I cant think of it right now. I basicly make everything I can including flanges etc. Welders are a mans best friend.

·
Registered
948 Posts
yeah i really wish i had a welder

3,796 Posts
:stupid:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts