Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm getting pretty damn tired of ALL my money going into fixing my damn car instead of moding it.. but it is a 10 year old used car.. and I mean i've never had a car that didn't need help.. hell I had a brand new '01 mustang and damn..that thing was at the dealer a lot (electrical issues)

People tell me to sell my car.. but I don't want anything other than a Supra.. and I can't afford insurance on a TT.. And this one will be paid off next year.. if I get another one I'll just be set back on money again.. and what if I get another car that needs all these repairs?
So far i've had the following issues:

Clutch slipping (bought it this way.. little did I know it was slipping..damn ebay) so I got a upgraded clutch

Burning oil... so I did compression test.. all was good.. so did big ass tune up..

Valve cover gasket leak.. replaced it after work one day (pain in the ass btw)

On my 3rd set of rear tires since I bought the car in Sept '03 (I don't do burnouts.. in fact I don't know how to do it other than droppin it)

Alinment issues ... which I think is now fixed.. really hoping so..

rear main seal is leaking.. have the parts.. waiting on the only mechanic I can trust.. (I have no way to lift it and hold the tranny)

Tranny making noise.. hoping it's just the pilot bearing.. not sure..

and NOW.. the damn thing sounds like it's missing.. hoping a new set of spark plugs will fix it.. we'll see.. but DAMN it's a pain in the ass to do those on an n/a!!

I've saved a lot of money doing most of it on my own.. but parts arn't cheap.. and i'm tired of not being able to drive for some odd damn reason

so.. should I suck it up and put everything together untill I can afford to swap it?? or buy another N/A and hope to hell it's in better shape? And this time get one closer to home where I can drive to check it out before buying it? Hell when I got this one home the leather was rock hard and it had no oil or coolant in it.. well little to no coolant..and no oil on the stick..but some in the pan.. and the paint sucks

B

·
0 Posts
Stick to this one at least you know what wrong with this one.

Dont get mad at the car, think of it as a "ongoing project".

How unique are supras? Only made like 10,000 how cool is that.

Keep the supra, the problems just build character, besides you know you love it ;)

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. :dunno: You've basically replaced some wear item's. If you're having second thoughts then sell it, b/c you will probably have to replace a water pump, starter, altenator, etc in the near future. Parts don't last forever. Good luck.

·
TT This
917 Posts
How many miles are on it???

The tire wear issue may be resolved with the alignment fix, and the tranny sounds may be the need for a new clutch/flywheel so those issues fix eachother.

Burning oil? Possible valve seals most likely, not the most complicated thing to fix.

And the more times you take your intake manifold apart the easier it gets. I can change sparkplugs in 15-20 minutes tops.

I don't know...to me it's fun to work on my car. True it's not fun to dish out $$$ but most of the items you mentioned don't cost to much. Sounds like you need a buddy to do the labor for you and you'd be just fine. Or perhaps you should get yourself a repair manual and tackle things yourself.

Oh yeah and the Meguires 3 step cleaner, polish, wax will bring you paint back to life;)

Good Luck and have fun
:D

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Everyone has initial high costs on a used car. Just as posted above, nothing you mentioned really means your car have problems. Once you get the small shit fixed, you wont have anymore problems. And sorry to tell you, Supras are notorious for going through tires as fast as gas. :D

Learn to love it. It goes with the saying. You've got to pay to play.

Regards,
Brian

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Stuff on them seems to be pretty good. My supra is now a single turbo and the biggest problem I've had is burnt out interior lights and normal issues with a new setup. the previous owner did a great job in taking care of it.

My sc300 is essentially a supra NA (I know I know). It just rolled over 141,000 miles. That's needed a tensioner pully, starter, battery, brakes, and normal maintenance. I've thought about getting rid of it, but I kinda want to see how far it will go.

These cars are tough. Once you get through this you'll be happy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the work myself already...
and I guess I have gotten lucky with prices on parts.. always somehow get the hookup..

I'm just getting frustraited..all my friends ragging on me about how their car is about to be faster than mine.. and how mine hasn't changed in a while.. and it's like i'm making money and puting it into the car but have nothing to show for it.. But yea I guess soon there wont be anything else to replace ;)

And no the paint is FAR gone.. I'd like to stab the old owner in the eye.. not only did he let the leather DIE.. as in I can't bring it back to life.. i've gotten it a bit better.. but damn.. i've done all I can... but the car has been resprayed.. and I mean sprayed as in a coat of black paint over old rock chips.. now it has a LOT of rock chips.. door digs (grrr) and the paint is oxidising.. BIG spot on the targa.. and smaller parts on the hatch :( scratch X does nothing.. and I've always used the 3 step.. and 2 of the steps with gold class.. not i'm using NXT and the 2 steps.. Oh yea not to mention there is a scratch all the way down the passinger side from the old owner.. thats annoying..people always asking ME what I did...

But after talking to others.. I'd be at a TOTAL loss unless I just got a TT.. and I don't think I can afford insurance on a TT..and if I could i'd be paying on the car even longer.. which I mean I could have a faster car now.. and probably a better paint job.. or I can keep this and get it paid off.. and once I get into my job after my short amount of schooling.. I can get a well used GTE and just re build it with aftermarket parts since my dad works for toyota and knows people... and then when I'm ready do the swap.. make it go fast before repainting it.. maybe be then i'll have a friend do to body work..

I just can't belive all these things going wrong at once.. well I fix something and something else happens

(forgot to add I had to redo the entire exhaust because it was rusted out and cracked.. well the downpipe was cracked and we just welded it up.. figured when I go turbo i'll get an aftermarket one)

so yea... head is spinning...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VickSupra said:
You're right, of course.
Trade it for a '95 Ford. That will solve your problems!

Seriously, 10-year-old cars need maintenance. Even Toyotas!
haha
yea yea..

I guess I had to step back and realise it's not as bad as it seems.. other than the fact things only go out when I don't have a damn job..

·
former SVB
1,155 Posts
you have to pay to play. the car is old and always costs a grand to fix anything.....

clutch/flywheel/etc, 1200
tires are a grand every 10K miles
allignment per lance spec 200 dollars
dead turbos? few grand.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get mt alingment for $45 since I use to work there.. but there is only one guy who knows wtf he's doing..

and my last rear tires lasted 3k miles :(
but hopefully that is taken care of..

and the tranny noise sounds like a bearig spinning that has no lube..so its almost grinding when out of gear and ideling... and it's start squeeking as it spins..very anoying

·
Registered
117 Posts
For your paint problems I would look into a porter cable dual action polisher. If you are trying to remove minor scratches and oxidation by hand, you will never get it looking good. I recently got one and good products (klasse) along with good pads you would be VERY suprised what it can do. It removed ALL the oxidation from my hood and took out most light scratches. It will not help with the big ones. It is almost impossible to screw up the paint with the PC (porter cable), unlike a rotary buffer it will not heat up because it is not buffing the same spot over and over.

This link should work http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

another good link
http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=38&c=root

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice.. thanks..

I asked my dad if I should get someone to wet sand it and he said it would probably just come back..

but right now i just want my damn car to run right..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I know what you mean TeayotaSoupra....I am in the same boat with my NA. Once something is fixed, somethin else goes wrong.

I wouldn't trade my supra in for another one though...even a TT. I have done so much on this car as it is, maintenance and upgrades, that I am more than happy with it....even when its in the garage in pieces time and again. Even though it gets frustrating when things break or need to be fixed, I don't mind too much. I like working on my supra and knowing that I fixed it, or that I made it better than it was before I got it.

Just try to be patient and work on the critical things first...otherwise all the little things will just bog you down.

·
Previously Premier Panda
1,750 Posts
What will really drive you crazy is that once you fix everything and she is running all great, offers get very tempting.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
grr.. so yea.. I can't get my car in the garage because all my moms crap is in there and we havn't moved it to storage yet.. well I got my throttle body off before the rain hit.. now it's in bed with me hah

But yea.. everything in the spark plug area is drenched in oil.. hmm wonder why it wasn't firing??

so yea.. part 2 tomorrow (if it's not raining)

Shitty thing is.. this car is my only ride... and I don't know anyone around this area... and my dad is in Japan so uhm yea.. I either walk a LONG damn way for stuff.. or i'm just screwd unless I can get one of my friends from raleigh to come out.. damnnnittt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts