Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
banton said:
Considering the 300c SRT (same powerplant/similar car) tested 0-60 under 5 seconds and quarter mile in low 13's ....yeah, the Charger is likely to be just another dime a dozen slow sedan:rolleyes:
This Charger SRT-8 should be priced under the $39,370 SRT-8 300. I can't think off hand a production sedan in the same price range currently on sale that can come within 1 second of 13.0 second 1/4 mile repeatably even with bolt-on mods. These SRT-8s will be limited production to boot so a dime-a-dozen sedan it is not; especially considering for its price much less much higher price, I don't find too many 20" ***forged*** rimmed shod with premium Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Brembos on all 4 wheels (I believe 14" rotors in the front), and Mercedes-Benz derived 5-speed automatic.

Only criticism may be 14 city / 19 highway estimated mileage ratings on premium fuel, which may be hard to swallow even for a performance car given premium fuel prices by the gallon is now $2.35 to $3.00 nationwide.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
STAGED said:
This Charger SRT-8 should be priced under the $39,370 SRT-8 300. I can't think off hand a production sedan in the same price range currently on sale that can come within 1 second of 13.0 second 1/4 mile repeatably even with bolt-on mods. These SRT-8s will be limited production to boot so a dime-a-dozen sedan it is not; especially considering for its price much less much higher price, I don't find too many 20" ***forged*** rimmed shod with premium Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, Brembos on all 4 wheels (I believe 14" rotors in the front), and Mercedes-Benz derived 5-speed automatic.

Only criticism may be 14 city / 19 highway estimated mileage ratings on premium fuel, which may be hard to swallow even for a performance car given premium fuel prices by the gallon is now $2.35 to $3.00 nationwide.

I hope you noticed my :rolleyes: to indicate I was being sarcastic...I am actually very impressed with the direction Diamler/Chrysler is moving. I like the 300c SRT over the Charger and will be strongly considering it this coming year as its time to get rid of one of my cars.

Brad

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
kaneda said:
it's got 1 pair of doors too many.
:agreed:

Saw some of the concept drawings of a 2 door fastback.. like the old cars. Visions of a new Cuda came to mind. When I saw the Charger for the 1st time in Chicago... I was disappointed. Who knows..maybe they will introduce a Cuda with a massive hemi and 2door fastback within the next 3 years.

But I have to hand it to Chrysler for their innovations in the past 5 years. No more boring K-cars nor jellybean cars with fake grills.

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
banton said:
I hope you noticed my :rolleyes: to indicate I was being sarcastic...I am actually very impressed with the direction Diamler/Chrysler is moving. I like the 300c SRT over the Charger and will be strongly considering it this coming year as its time to get rid of one of my cars.

Brad
Ah ha!:D ;)

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
the weight and transmission doom it to the performance of last generation's super-saloons at best
The car is heavy because it is a big car. We in America love our big, powerful sedans. Why buy a tiny tin can when you can have luxury? As far as the transmission is concerned, you are sadly mistaken. The 5-speed Mercedes Benz auto trans is a work of art. It is big, strong, and shifts smoothly. Why would this trans "doom" the car? Explain.
the majority of mid-priced sporty sedans currently entering the market are attaining trap speeds around and in excess of 100mph, so excuse me for not being impressed with 108-110mph
You know very little about cars if you think a car trapping 100mph is anywhere close to a car trapping 110mph. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I read from R&T in a 300 SRT-8 test that the shift quality on the car is tire-barking (not easy to pull off on a wide-tired heavy car), ultra-crisp...which is a refreshing departure from most auto-boxes that slur from one gear to another.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
any news on the Jeep SRT-8's coming out date? zero to 60 in 5 seconds? 60-0 in 125 ft! good bye Cayenne turbo.

·
Pimp of Centralia
2,815 Posts
Slasher48 said:
Surely you're not implying there's something wrong w/ Chrysler automatics?? They have always been the leader in drivetrain engineering. :jerkit:
I couldn't care less if God crafted the tranny himself..

i prefer my high powered sports cars with a clutch and a manual

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Doug likes playing with sticks :ghey:

·
Never fast enough
331 Posts
Personally I like the CTS-V better, but it is more expensive. This SRT-8 is no joke, the performance is without a doubt excellent. It's a good looking car too, just not my style.

G

·
FYRARMS said:
The car is heavy because it is a big car. We in America love our big, powerful sedans. Why buy a tiny tin can when you can have luxury? As far as the transmission is concerned, you are sadly mistaken. The 5-speed Mercedes Benz auto trans is a work of art. It is big, strong, and shifts smoothly. Why would this trans "doom" the car? Explain.
You know very little about cars if you think a car trapping 100mph is anywhere close to a car trapping 110mph. :rolleyes:
I don't care who made the automatic, when it comes to sport-oriented vehicles, I ALWAYS prefer a manual (or even sequential manual). Please tell me you won't argue that an automatic is comparable or preferable in handling and power to the tires..This, my friend, is why the majority of reviewers, myself included (I've driven both), picked the e39 M5 over the W210 E55.. alas, you're an automatic owner, so I'm preaching to the choir.. different strokes for different folks..I'll admit, if the driver is incompetent, an automatic can be quicker light to light.

Note I said @ and in EXCESS of 100mph.. these are some qualifying sedans off of the top of my head (rest assured there are oodles more):
300C 101mph, Evo 102mph, SRT-4 102mph, STi 103mph, Volvo s60R 102mph..
So what you say? Big difference between that and 108-110? I'd say not nearly as much as you'd think. My neighbor owns an E39 M5 (well documented to trap within that very range). When stacked up against his sons chip/exhaust (track-verified 101mph) S4, it won, but NOT by a large margin. This same S4 raced my formerly-owned turbo b18 hatch many a time. This hatch ran, you guessed it, 110mph at the track. The results? Once again, the hatch won, but not by more than a very (read: @3) few car lengths over a few gears. I raced MANY cars in that hatch, so I assure you I know how a '110 mph' vehicle stacks up against the competition.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The car looks good, even with the 4-doors...it has a 425hp Hemi to move it with authority and it comes in under 40K...whats not to like?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any particular reason all the high powered dragsters use autos? There are alot of high hp muscle car automatics. Nothing wrong with that. Especially when auto trannies are coming with 5 and 6 gears nowdays

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Antivenom said:
Personally I like the CTS-V better, but it is more expensive. This SRT-8 is no joke, the performance is without a doubt excellent. It's a good looking car too, just not my style.
That's a neat mention. The Magnum SRT-8, Charger SRT-8, 300 SRT-8, Grand Cherokee SRT-8, 450hp '07 SVT Cobra, CTS-v (soon with a 7.0L motor), C6, and others are rounding up some serious presence in the performance arena.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
alas, you're an automatic owner, so I'm preaching to the choir..
I have owned many, many manual transmission vehicles. You aren't "preaching" to anyone, really...
I'll admit, if the driver is incompetent, an automatic can be quicker light to light.
It has very little to do with incompetence. It has more to do with quick automatic shifts and torque multiplication via the converter. Please note the extreme lack of traditional manually-shifted transmissions in drag racing. Guess why?
Big difference between that and 108-110? I'd say not nearly as much as you'd think.
Of course there is. My Supra traps at 117mph. That is an approximately identical margin of speeds (compared to the margin between 100mph and 108). Guess how many car-lengths I can pull on a 108mph trap speed car? A lot. A 7 to 10mph trap speed difference in the quarter-mile is large. You need to spend more time at those Chilean drag strips.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
Evo 102mph, SRT-4 102mph, STi 103mph, Volvo s60R 102mph..
Something else you obviously are not aware of: Manual transmission vehicles will almost always attain higher trap speeds than the same car as equipped with an automatic transmission, even if the ET is the same. You listed trap speeds for manual transmission cars at around 101mph, which makes an SRT-8 automatic trap speed of 108 even more impressive (especially considering it's weight). Good job!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts