Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Sorry, but anyone who expected a car of this class/type to offer a manual transmission has rocks in their head.....
 

·
Never fast enough
Joined
·
331 Posts
STAGED said:
That's a neat mention. The Magnum SRT-8, Charger SRT-8, 300 SRT-8, Grand Cherokee SRT-8, 450hp '07 SVT Cobra, CTS-v (soon with a 7.0L motor), C6, and others are rounding up some serious presence in the performance arena.
Cadilliac is planning bringing out "super v" cars for the STS and CTS. The "super" being Supercharged.
 
G

·
doug said:
I couldn't care less if God crafted the tranny himself..

i prefer my high powered sports cars with a clutch and a manual
Well, you obviously didn't get the sarcasm there (c'mon, Chrysler engineering? :lol: ) Anyhow, as FYRARMS stated, the new Chryslers (at least the high end models) have Mercedes autos.

I also prefer my sports cars to have manuals (and my luxury cars, trucks, or anything else, for that matter). I wouldn't prefer this thing no matter what drivetrain it has.
 
G

·
FYRARMS said:
Something else you obviously are not aware of: Manual transmission vehicles will almost always attain higher trap speeds than the same car as equipped with an automatic transmission, even if the ET is the same. You listed trap speeds for manual transmission cars at around 101mph, which makes an SRT-8 automatic trap speed of 108 even more impressive (especially considering it's weight). Good job!
Must you insist on making my points for me? :lol: Manual transmission vehicles will almost always attain higher trap speeds than the same car as equipped with an automatic transmission Score another for the sticks!:)
 
G

·
Sorry, but anyone who expected a car of this class/type to offer a manual transmission has rocks in their head.....
"A car of this class/type"? What class/type would that be? It's a sports sedan for crying out loud. Outside of manually-challenged Mercedes Benz, every other sports sedan has a manual tranny option or atleast an auto that can be shifted manually.

Hemi = Great engine. Too bad you could never get one with a manual.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
Must you insist on making my points for me?
I am not making a point for you, silly man. I am using your words to show you how ridiculous you sound. Here, try comprehending this...

We both agree that manual transmission cars will trap higher, correct? Good! Then explain the following:
turbobubble said:
Evo 102mph, SRT-4 102mph, STi 103mph, Volvo s60R 102mph..
Those are manual transmission car trap speeds, right? Now read this:
turbobubble said:
108-110mph (predicted based upon the 300 SRT8 figures)
That would be an AUTO trap speed. So, by YOUR logic, since we both know that manual trans cars will trap higher, the SRT-8 kicks ass. Not only does it trap higher than the sedans you listed, but it is MUCH heavier, and an AUTOMATIC. Oops for you! :eek:
turbobubble said:
excuse me for not being impressed
Looks like you should be! You will be VERY hard-pressed to find a 4000+pound sedan that offers the performance and comfort of the SRT-8 for less than $40,000. Try to...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
Score another for the sticks!
Are you on a different planet? ET matters, not trap speed. Who gets there first is what counts. Score another one for the autos!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,619 Posts
Bench Racer said:
every other sports sedan has a manual tranny option or atleast an auto that can be shifted manually.
Huh? You can shift ANY auto trans manually.
 

·
what comes out the butt?
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
HOLY SHIT!!...that thing is fucking awsome.....the new viper had me a little dissapointed but this is just wow :eek:

:D

-mike
 
G

·
FYRARMS said:
I am not making a point for you, silly man. I am using your words to show you how ridiculous you sound. Here, try comprehending this...

We both agree that manual transmission cars will trap higher, correct? Good! Then explain the following:
Those are manual transmission car trap speeds, right? Now read this:
That would be an AUTO trap speed. So, by YOUR logic, since we both know that manual trans cars will trap higher, the SRT-8 kicks ass. Not only does it trap higher than the sedans you listed, but it is MUCH heavier, and an AUTOMATIC. Oops for you! :eek:
.
Bro, I think the car is fixing to be sweet. My whole point is that with a manual (option at the very least) it would not suffer the acknowledged drivetrain loss and would actually be able to run with the big boys --M5, E55, etc-- (granted it's not too heavy)!

I know the engine is impressive. I was merely making light of the fact that it would have much more potential were it not hindered by a slush box:)
 
G

·
FYRARMS said:
Are you on a different planet? ET matters, not trap speed. Who gets there first is what counts. Score another one for the autos!
Correct me I'm wrong, but which hold the records for BPU supras, auto or manual? Last time I checked, it was the 6 speeds:cool:
 

·
what comes out the butt?
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
turbobubble said:
Correct me I'm wrong, but which hold the records for BPU supras, auto or manual? Last time I checked, it was the 6 speeds:cool:
the stock 6speed tranny can hold more power than that of the stock auto tranny....

if both cars had COMPLETELY even power.....the auto would win....

again..

/arguement
 
G

·
FYRARMS said:
Huh? You can shift ANY auto trans manually.
Most standard auto trannies prevent you from downshifting manually. So you can't really shift ANY auto tranny manually.

Maybe the unit in this one is different. Is it a sort of tiptronic? Either way, you just don't get the same feel when slamming gears manually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
It's perfectly acceptable for a car of this size, mass, purpose (grand touring sedan), and most importantly price class to be fitted with only one transmission and that being a 5-speed automatic.
 
G

·
MaliCali said:
the stock 6speed tranny can hold more power than that of the stock auto tranny....

if both cars had COMPLETELY even power.....the auto would win....

again..

/arguement
You're telling me a Supra auto can't hold BPU power levels?

Completely even power, the auto would win, huh? Well besides reiterating the fact that 6 speed supras hold the BPU ET records, let's analyze this quickly. Given completely even power, the 6 speed would dyno higher (obviously), period. So, if you're insinuating that the auto would achieve a better ET with equal power at the wheels, then obviously it would have to have more brake horsepower to manage this in the first place. Your logic doesn't hold up, does it?..

BTW, before you say it, high-stall aftermarket autos are not even close to the same as stock examples.
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Bench Racer said:
Most standard auto trannies prevent you from downshifting manually. So you can't really shift ANY auto tranny manually.
Not really....only if you're trying to downshift when it would be dangerous to the engine (too high RPM).....other than that, every auto trans out of the thousands I've driven let you shift down manually.....
 

·
Mid-life Realization!
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
turbobubble said:
Bro, I think the car is fixing to be sweet. My whole point is that with a manual (option at the very least) it would not suffer the acknowledged drivetrain loss and would actually be able to run with the big boys --M5, E55, etc-- (granted it's not too heavy)!

I know the engine is impressive. I was merely making light of the fact that it would have much more potential were it not hindered by a slush box:)
The fact is the vast majority of ACTUAL potential buyers for these cars (4 door luxury sport) aren't making their purchasing decision based on upgrade "potential" or whether it has a "stick".

Brad
 
G

·
banton said:
The fact is the vast majority of ACTUAL potential buyers for these cars (4 door luxury sport) aren't making their purchasing decision based on upgrade "potential" or whether it has a "stick".

Brad
When I mentioned potential it was in reference to possible performance figures it could attain in STOCK configuration with a manual gearbox.

If it were to be offered in manual as well, I think it might offer an alternative to pricey 'Bahn stormers.' As is, it won't, but I don't think they'll have trouble selling their allotment..that was never my point.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
Correct me I'm wrong, but which hold the records for BPU supras, auto or manual? Last time I checked, it was the 6 speeds
Which trans is in the QUICKEST of all Supras, period? Automatic. Thanks for playing.
 
41 - 60 of 76 Posts
Top