Supra Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Bench Racer said:
Most standard auto trannies prevent you from downshifting manually. So you can't really shift ANY auto tranny manually.
Huh? I just dowshifted my Durango trans. It works. My Supra is downshifted manually all the time. That gold Camaro in your sig can be downshifted. What are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
turbobubble said:
Stock automagic? FAR FROM IT.
Stock 6-speed OEM clutch? FAR FROM IT.

Stay on topic.

G

·
FYRARMS said:
Stock 6-speed OEM clutch? FAR FROM IT.

Stay on topic.
We're comparing modifications necessary to hold the power to 3 speed completely drag race intentioned and built trannies now?:p

Let's call it quits, shall we?

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
turbobubble said:

If it were to be offered in manual as well, I think it might offer an alternative to pricey 'Bahn stormers.' As is, it won't, but I don't think they'll have trouble selling their allotment..that was never my point.
I am not trying to be a dick, but I think you are kidding yourself if you actually think someone that is considering buying a M5 or E55 would change there mind and buy an SRT version of the Charger or 300c just because it had a factory manual option.

Brad

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
253 Posts
God i love the arguments :)

anyways back to the car.

i'm a BIG FAN of a sedan that hauls ass.

the rear end looks like they gave up though...

looks like an Intrepid with a wing... or an
older 300M

i'm diggin the front and the power slide...
interior looks nice.

for UNDER 40K it would be a good player in the
"kick-ass sedan" market.

would be TONS cheaper than a CtsV
and even alot cheaper than my S60R
(which would get its ass SMOKED by this Hemi) :)

looks cool up front - back sucks...

i REALLY WISH they'd try not to make them all look similar...

kinda pisses me off.

It's like they made the front mean and wicked, and
then during designing they said f*ck it and
went and drew some shit for the back.

G

·
banton said:
I am not trying to be a dick, but I think you are kidding yourself if you actually think someone that is considering buying a M5 or E55 would change there mind and buy an SRT version of the Charger or 300c just because it had a factory manual option.

Brad
I've seen more than a few buyers on the fence about purchasing an e39 M5 end up with a CTS-V:)

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I disagree with many of you, I am putting a ctsv in my garage as soon as the next version bows and the current prices drop. It is my favorite sedan out now, and is in a different class from the Charger which everyone seems to forget is larger. That their performance is comparable is very good news indeed.

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
253 Posts
i agree.

i REALLY REALLY wanted a CTS-V when i bought my
S60R.

i mean, damn 400 HP!
Looks kick ass with the 18s and the body pieces...

pretty rare.

awesome cruisin' sedan with 400 HP of balls
to play with -

where's that damn drooling smiley at?

G

·
FYRARMS said:
Huh? I just dowshifted my Durango trans. It works. My Supra is downshifted manually all the time. That gold Camaro in your sig can be downshifted. What are you talking about?
For some reason, my Jeep with the 4spd auto has some sort of lockout. I could upshift, but not downshift manually.

Either way, it's a great car. I'm just dissapointed that such a good engine like the 6.1L Hemi isn't backed by a manual tranny option. Same with the 5.7L Hemi. I don't even think you can get the Hemi with a manual period...on any Chrysler vehicle.

I guess this is one of the reasons why i've always like BMW's M over MB AMG's. The M's always seemed more drive oriented. I look at SRT, and see that their line of performance vehicles are unlike anything currently out there for the $$$ but it's sad that they'd give their 500hp SRT-10 Ram truck a 6spd manual (manual only first year with auto coming soon), but their charger (even the standard Hemi one) doesn't give you such an option.

G

·
Eh...awesome power potential but the exterior styling just isn't cutting it for me. The 300 on the other hand is way sexier.

G

·
One other gripe, i really wanted the Charger SRT-8 to be different than the 300C SRT-8. The 300 SRT-8 should have been the luxury sports sedan. The Charger SRT-8 should have been a more dedicated performance car without the extra fluff imo. Just a beastly monster without any compromises like the SRT-4 Neon, SRT-10 Ram, and the SRT-10 Viper.

My 2 cents. Again, great car, but it's missing some of the elements i would have loved to see in a modern day Charger.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
STAGED said:
I can't think off hand a production sedan in the same price range currently on sale that can come within 1 second of 13.0 second 1/4 mile repeatably even with bolt-on mods.
Course you cant... the NICE sedans are in a higher price bracket... if you want to get into the performance sedan bracket, i'll introduce you to the STi and Evos that run documented low 13 second times stock... course they arent big gigantic sedans with plush interiors or anything... but the charger doesnt exactly have a plush interior either... (course i dont consider the 300m interior to be all that hot either)... call me spoiled i guess

the new M is nice... it and the new GS are within 1 second of its 1/4 mile time :)
not to mention they are 100000x nicer, more reliable, better handling, etc, etc, etc...

not feeling the charger... it looks nice except for the 4 doors, which chrysler execs are retards for putting on the car...
its like watching the Duke twins jump into the General Lee... but its got four doors and they yell out "we'll go grab some groceries for you and pick up the kids on the way home!!!"

and if its truly supposed to have 425hp and only predicted 0-60 times of ~5 seconds... there's a serious weight issue here (the same one that the Merc Marauder suffered from and was thereby cancelled because of... they ran 15s for god's sake)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Bean said:
Course you cant... the NICE sedans are in a higher price bracket... if you want to get into the performance sedan bracket, i'll introduce you to the STi and Evos that run documented low 13 second times stock... course they arent big gigantic sedans with plush interiors or anything... but the charger doesnt exactly have a plush interior either... (course i dont consider the 300m interior to be all that hot either)... call me spoiled i guess

the new M is nice... it and the new GS are within 1 second of its 1/4 mile time :)
not to mention they are 100000x nicer, more reliable, better handling, etc, etc, etc...
The STi and EVO are good and popular mentions but I was careful to mention "repeatable" which could likely be so only after a HD clutch upgrade. However it can be argued a HD clutch upgrade is a bolt-on upgrade (but not a bolt-on power mod which I should've mentioned + clutch is not the only driveline part subject to high driveline stresses).

The M-series and new GS would likely be more polished, but I have to drive them all to verify. Lexus, especially has done an admirable job keeping the weight in check. Plus they're not quite in the SRT-8 sedan price range as I've mentioned, which starts at not much more than fully optioned IS300s and G35s and less than NO-OPTION V6 M35 and mid-15 second e.t.'ing V6 GS300. For speed + bling freaks, nothing comes close as it stands alone like the Z06 did in recent years among production cars. For refinement + all-around appeal there are of course plenty of choices.

Besides, all things considered these big Chrysler sedans have a great and accessible balance of panache (even bling), performance, hardware (forged 20" rims, Brembos all around, etc.), room, AND PRICE all in one. Even with the serious mass, the 300 SRT-8 has some serious performance numbers with the negative effect being the 14 city/ 19 highway fuel rating. I think the GS-hybrid will be within 1 second of the SRT-8 sedans with double the mileage, even real-world mileage. An SRT-8 engineered to be light and with 425hp would likely cost nearly $70,000 and not under $40,000 starting.:) :)

The menacing styled Marauder (which as you properly mentioned had more bark than bite) untitled has been seen in local dealers being unloaded for $26,xxx. This leaves a good amount of change for most budgets for a blower pkg., albeit it may not be as appealing an overall pkg. as some other performance sedans.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=4354&page_number=1

http://alternativeauto.com/misc/lids_marauder_04_recap.html

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm feeling that right between my legs. I guess most of you don't have kids. Those two doors in the back get my vote. My only problem is this car will have a gas guzzler tax.

Sam

61 - 76 of 76 Posts