Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no one likes that rubber intake hose, but would a metal one of same size increase hp/flow? or is it simply for preventing cracks (which does happen a lot) and looks?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
well the simple answer :)

how big is the opening of the TURBO inlet.

As for flow. It is smoother inside so logic dicated it would flow more but would it increase HP.

Only one way to tell ;)

Put it on a dyno and let us know. heh

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think twinturbozs is right to an extent.. and so is figgie. I would venture to guess that the balance would even out and aside from looking cool, any performance increase or decrease would be imperceptible.

Regardless of performance though, I plan on getting one. I don't mind the rubber accordian but I really like the metal ones!

I'm looking forward to Racefiend's results...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is that one from Racetek? (sp?)

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
twinturbozs said:
i think a metal hose will conduct more heat, possibly reducing efficiency.
thats retarded...so with your logic hardpipes for an intercooler would be inefficient because they are metal so they will conduct heat? :rolleyes:

as for the metal pipe to the turbo... looks mainly....but i think it will reduce turbulence in intake airflow SLIGHTLY...anything you wil notice? probably not...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
IdealSupra said:
thats retarded...so with your logic hardpipes for an intercooler would be inefficient because they are metal so they will conduct heat? :rolleyes:

as for the metal pipe to the turbo... looks mainly....but i think it will reduce turbulence in intake airflow SLIGHTLY...anything you wil notice? probably not...
Maybe you dont understand the significance of IC hardpipes.

1. they dont expand under elevated boost levels.
2.usually larger in diameter than stock. (more flow)
3. eliminates any bottlenecks in the system.

this metal intake meets none of those criteria. im sure most would understand that rubber/plastic is a better insulator against heat over metal, and the sheer thickness of the rubber intake hose insures that there will be less heat conducted through the intake. the only benefits a metal intake has, is that it looks better and possibly has smoother flow (less turbulence). Im going to guess that the pros/cons are a wash and will show no performance gains whatsoever.

·
5,467 Posts
twinturbozs said:
Maybe you dont understand the significance of IC hardpipes.

1. they dont expand under elevated boost levels.
2.usually larger in diameter than stock. (more flow)
3. eliminates any bottlenecks in the system.

this metal intake meets none of those criteria. im sure most would understand that rubber/plastic is a better insulator against heat over metal, and the sheer thickness of the rubber intake hose insures that there will be less heat conducted through the intake. the only benefits a metal intake has, is that it looks better and possibly has smoother flow (less turbulence). Im going to guess that the pros/cons are a wash and will show no performance gains whatsoever.
wow...maybe you dont understand the simple point... that regardless of the PROS of the hardpipes for the IC.... obviously they dont heat up "because they are metal" same would go for a metal pipe to the turbo...

THATS my point...besides even in the case that it DID slightly warm the incoming air...it has yet to go through the IC at that point anyways...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
are you telling me that heat does not conduct heat faster than plastic? if thats what you think then you better re-take that physics class you fell asleep in.

furthermore if your intake air temperature is higher because of the metal intake pipe, your air will be correspondingly higher coming out of the IC too, compared to regular ambient air .

the heat from your engine will soak the metal intake which in turns conducts to the intake air thereby raising the ambient air intake before it reaches the turbo.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
^most people here are running non CAI fipks or similar anyway. The air going through the accordian is already engine bay temp.

Nonetheless, the performance change will be imperceptible.

·
5,467 Posts
twinturbozs said:
are you telling me that heat does not conduct heat faster than plastic? if thats what you think then you better re-take that physics class you fell asleep in.

furthermore if your intake air temperature is higher because of the metal intake pipe, your air will be correspondingly higher coming out of the IC too, compared to regular ambient air .

the heat from your engine will soak the metal intake which in turns conducts to the intake air thereby raising the ambient air intake before it reaches the turbo.
yeah thats exactly what i think :rolleyes:

get off your soap box for two seconds and maybe you will comprehend what im saying...

if METAL IC PIPES dont hurt efficiency enough to bitch about...as a matter of fact they help because of the things you oh so nicely listed.... then why would a METAL INTAKE PIPE effect anything so damn seriously that you wouldnt want one to make it more appealing?

but hell maybe i should send a memo to EVERY FUCKING DRAG OR RACE CAR that has metal intake tubing... "hey guys its bad it makes so much heat and its making your intake temps bad" think about it then maybe give me one of your "well informed, im better then you so i can talk condescending towards you" responses :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
im not here to pick a fight, youre the one that started with the insults. maybe you should work on diplomacy before getting yourself all worked up.

IdealSupra said:
thats retarded...so with your logic hardpipes for an intercooler would be inefficient because they are metal so they will conduct heat? :rolleyes:...

hardcore racers wrap their pipes with thermal wrap.polished pipe are for the bling factor. fyi, radiant heat from the engine can heat the metal intake causing the entering air to actually be higher than the engine bay air.

·
5,467 Posts
twinturbozs said:
im not here to pick a fight, youre the one that started with the insults. maybe you should work on diplomacy before getting yourself all worked up.

hardcore racers wrap their pipes with thermal wrap.polished pipe are for the bling factor. fyi, radiant heat from the engine can heat the metal intake causing the entering air to actually be higher than the engine bay air.
:lol: yeah ive NEVER seen an INTAKE pipe wrapped with any kind of thermal wrap...if you seriously think that the temp changes in the air in the less then half a second of being in the intake tube...then i have a bridge for sale...

its just not in that tube long enough to heat up at all....

and for the record i never said YOU were retarded...i said that comment/idea was retarded....

·
Registered
358 Posts
yup it does make the turbo louder and I am gonna have to agree with idealsupra it is the same principle as water cooling for a computer, the heatsource in the case of the supra would be the metal accordian pipe but the air is not in that pipe long enough to be effected enough by the pipe to make a difference.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Maybe you misunderstood me. IC pipes are wrapped not intake pipes. Ive also previously stated that the metal intake would probably not be detrimental to the performance. i was clearly stating that metal has more heat conductive properties than rubber/plastic. someone attacked my statement, which is pretty fundamental in concerns to conductivity. i dont want members to spend their hard earned money until they fully understand the repercussions of each modification.

I believe we are all on the same page as far as performance is concerned. this mod will probably have not perceptible gains/losses to its owner. the metal intake is probably too short to cause any loss in performance, but the thread starter was looking for opinions of what we thought of it.
my initial post was just a suggestion "i think a metal hose will conduct more heat, possibly reducing efficiency." another member deemed it was a "retarded" statement. which of my statement appears to be untrue?

1. a metal hose conducts more heat?
2. possibly reducing efficiency?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts