Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at buy a Greddy T67 for the engine, but I have not seen anyone that uses it on the 2J. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on it, maybe how quickly it spools to full boost?

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Reasons you won't find the Greddy T67 on a MKIV:

a) No off-the-shelf MKIV kit available.

b) It's a relatively small turbo for a MKIV.

c) Greddy turbochargers are expensive.

d) Greddy turbos are customized Mitsubishi units. Finding rebuild parts is impossible.

e) Too many Garrett-based turbo options for less money.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Reasons you won't find the Greddy T67 on a MKIV:

a) No off-the-shelf MKIV kit available.

b) It's a relatively small turbo for a MKIV.

c) Greddy turbochargers are expensive.

d) Greddy turbos are customized Mitsubishi units. Finding rebuild parts is impossible.

e) Too many Garrett-based turbo options for less money.
I have to disagree on points c and d. While a new Greddy unit is expensive, one can pick up a used Greddy turbo from a private individual. T78s in good condition for around $500 are not uncommon. Also, I had an unfortunate situation with my Greddy T88, that required a rebuild, and I found a couple of reputable shops that offered full rebuilds for VERY reasonable costs. The parts and shops are out there, its finding them that's the bitch.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
medici78 said:
I had an unfortunate situation with my Greddy T88, that required a rebuild, and I found a couple of reputable shops that offered full rebuilds for VERY reasonable costs. The parts and shops are out there, its finding them that's the bitch.
The reason you found rebuild parts for a T88 is due to the fact that it is basically a straight Mitsu TD08 turbocharger. Any MHIA dealer can get you parts. The T67 is a hybrid TD07/TD06H unit with a custom-turned shaft. The chances of finding replacement parts is a shot in the dark at best.

I also forgot to add:

f) You do not have any options with Greddy turbos. They are what they are. Garrett offerings are endless. You have choices of housings, wheels, trims, shafts, clip degrees, etc.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I really like my T78.

I'm getting a new smaller exhaust housing for it. I have my choice between a .84 and a .81 a/r.

Really nice option.

·
OCC
897 Posts
StokerSix said:
I really like my T78.

I'm getting a new smaller exhaust housing for it. I have my choice between a .84 and a .81 a/r.

Really nice option.
How much are smaller Greddy housing? Best place to get them?

Thanks,

sushi

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still trying to learn the concept in which I believe, you get what you pay for. I am just trying to verify if that is true with the T67.

Fyarms, A) I don't really want an MKIV kit anyway, it won't do me much good . . .

I agree with B and that is why I am interested in it. I am looking for something that is going to be quick to spool, I hate lag.

I also agree with C, but there has to be a reason they are more expensive right? More time in design, or better quality components used to make them? If you are going to stay competitive you are not going to be able to have extreme mark up on your parts.

D) I know nothing about and at this point I am just trying to figure out, do you mean truly impossible or am I to take a loose interpretation of the word impossible and realize that it may take some time to find a place w/ parts to rebuild. Or will it never come to that because you get what you pay for, and what you pay for is a product that is going to last forever?

E) Why are the turbos less money? Do they require being rebuilt more often than a greddy turbo ran under the same conditions?

F) I am pretty low on the understanding of all the differnt possibilities of these turbos, so Greddy makes it simple for me to buy one and then build my engine to use there turbo to its optimum efficiency.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is a HUGE company. Their automotive performance application turbos, however, are very small.

Greddy has MHIA custom-build turbos to their specs, or Greddy disassembles MHIA turbos and rebuilds them to their specs. Whichever. Then Greddy marks them up to make a profit. Then Greddy ships overseas. Then Greddy distributors mark them up to make a profit. Then you finally get them. All that = Big $$$$$.

Garrett-based offerings are plentiful. So plentiful that they are cheap. They are also made in the good old USA, which keeps prices low.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I understand you are looking for a good fit for your MKIII out of the box. Your best bet is to call Sound Performance and ask them what they recommend. SP has modded many, many MKIIIs.

You might also want to search around SF.com and see what other owners have used and had success with.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou FYARMS, SP is my second chioce after Greddy, and I never realized Garret was US based, nor did I really give them more than a glance. Unless someone shows me somethign really good about the T67 I think that gredd just go bumped off.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Shouldn't you be posting in the MKIII section???

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I shouldn't, because I am looking for people running the turbo on a 2JZ and I have not seen too many MKIII with 2JZs . . .

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I am a little curious about this turbo It has turned up in my local shop as part of a subaru sti turbo kit.. The turbine side looks to small for the compressor side I would think it would surge on our engines (ex. t66 with .58 seems to surge with th VE of our engines) WIll this not surge on other engines inparticular the 2.5 subaru THe a/r looks much smaller than a .58...any thoughts would be great sorry if this is a little off topic but the right turbo at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts