Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so much about the SP-57, 60, and 63 turbos and nothing about the SP-66, which I think might end up being real popular. I's very interested in seeing some concrete track numbers, info, and dyno results so that I can see how it is going to compare in power and spool to the SP-63. Last I heard Supratt96, said he was getting ready to put one on for the dyno and the track. Did I miss something? Anybody out there running a SP-66?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, there around somewhere. Its an incredible turbo. Most people are just so amazed with the performance of the SP63 that the SP66 is drowned out in its wake.

Jon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's understandable, but I think I'm in the mood for something just a tad bigger in case someone holds a gun to my head and makes me do some highway racing. I've got a gut feeling it's going to be exactly the trade-off of power/lag I'm looking for. Now if only I could see the goods on this turbo, I could finally conclude my reasearch and put the single turbo "fund" to work.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I have two in stock....... :)

We have not dynoed one on a 6 spd yet but on our rear wheel power robbing high stall automatics we have seen 650 where the 63s typically make 580. We have seen 678 on a 6 spd with the 63 so Id guess an easy 750 on a properly tuned motor for the 66.

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound Performance said:
I have two in stock....... :)

We have not dynoed one on a 6 spd yet but on our rear wheel power robbing high stall automatics we have seen 650 where the 63s typically make 580. We have seen 678 on a 6 spd with the 63 so Id guess an easy 750 on a properly tuned motor for the 66.

Lar
SP
To be completely up front and honest Larry, I'm looking at a December purchase for the kit, but I have to see some good info first. I have been debating between just about every possible setup that would be automatic compatible and it's down to 3, one of which being the SP-66. The problem is up until this point I have been going on gut feeling, and I need to see some numbers and track results before I make the final decision. How's the lag in comparison to the SP-63 and what A/R do you recommend for the SP-66? Any other info would help greatly.

BTW, you might want to stock an extra SP-66 for the end of the year. ;)

·
Banned
820 Posts
How does [email protected] on bald nittos sound to you for an SP 66 at 32 psi boost. 60' time was 1.80, basically leaving from little more than a dead punch. On nitrous(and off idle, no boost) I ran [email protected], spinning to about the 1/8 mile mark while on and off he gas repeatedly. I expect that it should easily run a 9 sec et on boost alone with decent traction. Full boost is attained approximatley 500-600 rpm later than the 63. I dynoed 585 rwhp at 25 psi, would have done 30 psi, but needed a wastegate adjustment.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Supra said:
How does [email protected] on bald nittos sound to you for an SP 66 at 32 psi boost. 60' time was 1.80, basically leaving from little more than a dead punch. On nitrous(and off idle, no boost) I ran [email protected], spinning to about the 1/8 mile mark while on and off he gas repeatedly. I expect that it should easily run a 9 sec et on boost alone with decent traction. Full boost is attained approximatley 500-600 rpm later than the 63. I dynoed 585 rwhp at 25 psi, would have done 30 psi, but needed a wastegate adjustment.
OK, well the track times sound fine assuming there were traction issues, but is 32psi a safe level to run at consistently? I thought that 30psi was reaching the limits of "safe."? What other modifications other than all BPU stuff, 104 Octane, Fuel system, and the Turbo kit do you need to run 32 psi reliably?

Also, not that 585 rwhp isn't good, but at 25 psi I would think that turbo should be in the 620-650 rwhp range on a stock motor without cams or an intake. On a properly tuned motor with cams and intake, I though some people were getting 650rwhp out of the SP-63 at 25 psi? Now I know there will be more lag than the SP-63, but I'm not seeing power advantage if it's dynoing 585rwhp at 25 psi. You must have to run insane boost ALL the time to get the power out of the SP-66. Someone please clarify for me if I am confused.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
It is an automatic with a high stall converter. On a 670 RWHP 6 spd car, we will only see 580 on an automatic with a 4000 RPM converter if the cars are identically setup. So adjust your #s accordingly. Get it? :)

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound Performance said:
It is an automatic with a high stall converter. On a 670 RWHP 6 spd car, we will only see 580 on an automatic with a 4000 RPM converter if the cars are identically setup. So adjust your #s accordingly. Get it? :)

Lar
SP
Wait, I'm still a little lost here. Thinking out loud...

If we assume 670 rwhp in a 6-speed and figure in ~12% drivetrain loss, your producing about ~760 hp at the crank. So an automatic with a high stall eats up ~23% or twice as much as a 6-speed.

OK, yeah that's right, I always seem to forget about that. Thanks Larry. :)

Ok, so what psi can I run safely and reliably on 93 Octane with a SP-66? 100 Octane? 104 Octane?

Thanks again.

-

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
Hey Larry,

Sorry to hijack the thread (about two years later), but I was looking at putting a SP66 onto my 7m, any thoughts behind this and what hp I would make at a 25lbs of boost?

Also, would a XS engineering 2-row 24" x 11"x 3" be an adequate intercooler for this application?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I believe this is a .81 Q trim, correct? If so is it the same as a PHR2+? I saw someone post that it(the phr) was a .71ar(silver bullet)but I think he is confused. I am installing one on my car next month(T66 .81 Q trim) I believe guys running the 2+ with all supporting mods have times very consistent with those posted by white supra. Carl Byck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts