Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be back in Houston for good in May... and it's time to get off of my lazy ass and do something that will keep me in good shape and competitive....

So I'll be training either Jiu Jitsu or MMA...

Currently looking at http://www.elite-martial-arts.com/ (which is on Westheimer road)

And another place on Westheimer that is a MMA gym...

I will also be looking at other places around this area, and going with the best place..

I have no idea on pricing, or etc...

But let me know if any of you guys wanna tag along..

=D

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Funny you mention this place. I've been looking at it and thinking about signing up myself and my son...
Peter

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Funny you mention this place. I've been looking at it and thinking about signing up myself and my son...
Peter
Haha, let me know what you wanna do Peter... I wouldn't mind signing up at the same time / or etc.

I currently have a friend that has been going there for years.. and he's pretty impressive...

I'll keep you updated.

*UPDATED*
Holy sh*t.
2 Days a week - 109 a month
3 Days a week - 129 a month
Unlimited - 140 a month
no group specials.. but there is a referral special.. 50 dollar a person you refer.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
I am down (granted that my leg heals from a stand-up injury) since my mma club is getting out for summer. If you want to head over there some time let me know. Ill ask my teacher tomorrow at school if he knows any good gyms here in Houston.

<l><l>

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am down (granted that my leg heals from a stand-up injury) since my mma club is getting out for summer. If you want to head over there some time let me know. Ill ask my teacher tomorrow at school if he knows any good gyms here in Houston.

<l><l>
yeah that would be awesome...

damn ur in katy.. u sure u wanna drive all the way to westheimer everytime for class? =D

lmk!!

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
eh I got a focus for a daily, if its a good teacher I don't mind the drive lol.

ya just pm me when you wanna go over there im in the loop twice a week for school anyway

<l><l>

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
well im on my lunch break, found out some info from the website on some of the instructors:

ERIC WILLIAMS
Martial Arts Experience:
•The first Houstonian to achieve the rank of Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

•The 2nd American ever to win a World Title in the Black Belt division of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
•Eric has won 3 gold and 2 silver medals in the Int’l Masters BJJ Championships in Brazil
•As a Black Belt, Eric is 12-2 in international competition.
•7x Junior National wrestling Champion, holding titles in both Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling.
•4th place in the Junior World Championships in Greco-Roman.
•Selected to the Olympic 200 Project for freestyle wrestling.
•A passionate student of the martial arts, Eric has studied BJJ, Thai boxing, Boxing, JKD, Karate, Tae Kwon do, Moo do Kwon, and Philipino Kali.

ED LIEM
Martial Arts Experience:
•Thai boxing for over 15 years.
•Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
•Over 7 years of boxing experience
•Black belt in Judo.
•Ed’s aggressive style makes him a lethal force on the ground or standing.
Personal Accomplishments:

•Ed received his masters in mechanical engineering in 2004
•Ed is a mechanical engineer for an international engineering firm.

Ed's approach to martial arts is a no-nonsense straight to the point fundamental sound game and that is what his students will get out of his classes. Not only is Ed's A-game very sound, he has the ability to make transitions from the different ranges whether it be standing, to the ground, or anything in between he has the answers for those situations. The great thing about Ed is that he is able to relay the information to his students in a simple and precise formula.

Pat Swan

Pat Swan is responsible for the Boxing curriculum at our academy. After winning several Toughman Contests and the Houston Golden Gloves, Pat went on to become a world ranked Professional Boxer in the super middleweight division. Pat has had 35 Professional bouts and has fought all over the world against the best competition including 5 world champions and multiple top 10 contenders. Pat went on to attain a 16-5-3 (12 of his wins are by knockout!) record as a Professional Boxer.

they are all at the westhiemer loc. so that helps (I am trying to get into the local circut in the next year or so), this summer I would prob be going mon-wed 11-noon for the bjj and then 7:30-9:30 for the MT and MMA training. Only thing I don't like is how they fail to mention that they have a cage for MMA training on the web site, but I have emailed them and I will update on the response

<l><l>

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thanks man...
I will be starting in Mid May once I get back...
Damn so you're doing the same thing I was thinking about..
Do you think I should take it slow as a first time, and only do Jiu Jitsu?
Or should I learn Jiu Jitsu and MMA at the same time?
-Thanks

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Eh both, but go on the non-gi days for bjj, as that will be more practical in a mma sense. How many times a week do you plan on going? This is why I want to go down there and see firsthand what they do, as if I don't like the way they train why waste the money you know?

I personally like learning a bunch of styles and sparring so I can try things out and see what works for me and what doesn't

<l><l>

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
break a leg Nate, I mean um.. good luck

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
^^^^smart ass, actually its most likely a muscle bruising due to knees to the leg

anyway, got a response from them:

Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry into Elite Martial Arts. We offer a variety
of
different classes for your needs. To make the fit easier for you we
offer an
introductory private session with one of our Elite instructors. The
session
will give you a chance to:
1) meet with one of our talented instructors,
2) see our facility,
3) get a hands on feel about a particular course,
4) and ask questions about our course(s).
Dial 281-558-7388 or simply respond back to this email to schedule an
appointment with Elite Martial Arts now!!!
Monthly Rate:

BJJ
Style 8 classes 12 classes Unlimited
BJJ $109.00 $129.00 $149.00
Hourly rate $13.63 $10.75 $2.48

Thanks and we look forward from hearing from you,
Elite Martial Arts
*Sign-up before our special ends!!!

P.S. Yes we do have a cage. Have you trained standup, wrestling, or
bjj???

so they have a cage, sweet
<l><l>

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Snake Eyes... I won't be able to commit to anything until I come back.. my last exam date is May 7th... so a week after that, and we can head down.
Just hit me up on AIM anytime.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Give me a week, as I got a lot goin on right now (school and family) Ill let ya know

<l><l>

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
I want you to learn to give me a good BJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts