Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've heard the clutch on on the MKIV TT doesnt last in a BPU car. I've also heard of real horror examples here in Sweden of killing the clutch in just a day or two!!! Is this true?
Because if it is, BPU will almost cost twice as much as I was thinking of and in that case isn't as cheap as it seems to anymore.

I mean, on all majoy sites like MVP, SupraSports, TurboImports etc no one mentions a clutch swap is necessary...

What are your experiences with your BPU Supras? How long did your clutch last or did it even break at all?

How much does a good clutch (for BPU-car only) go for? Is the labor difficult?

Lots of questions, I know, but I really was confused and sad when I heard of this. I thought the Supra was a Supercar ALL the way...

Thanx a lot in advance guys and girls...

Kindest Regards

Jiray Seropian
Supra TT -94 6-Speed
SWEDEN

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 97 is BPU and I have not had a prob with the clutch, even after many 19 PSI pulls and launches...I think it will hold up to 500 or so RWHP, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jiray,
It depends on how you drive the car. The stock
clutch can handle BPU power. The slippage the
clutch gets on hard launches is what wears it out.
I have had to replace my stock clutch twice in less
than 2 years but I have made over 60 quarter mile
passes in that time. The next time I replace it I will
go with something a little more robust than stock.
The stock clutch, p. plate,bearing,clips,etc is only
~$215 from Jay Marks Toyota. If you drag race alot
you could get a RPS II and just switch out the stock
disc as needed.
Wayne

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mine lasted 2 yrs and 20K BPU. It had 23K nonBPU before I bought it so at 43K it finally started slipping. I go to the track about once a month when it's open. It depends on how much you slip it when drag racing.

Wayne, I think I'm going to try the wotm disk with RPS pressure plate. Mine is slipping when the second turbo comes on.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Mine took a T-78 to kill it. It slipped on the dyno at 463.3 rwhp. the clutch had plenty of"meat" still left on it, but it was completely glazed over. I always recomend thr RPS stage III w/sprung hub and lightened flywheel for a replacement because if you have a chance to make a change, go with the best.

Eric

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think a bpu could kill a stocker in a day or two. Mine held up quite well despite repeated punishment. Mine's beginning to slip but i'm quite contended to stay stock when i replace. Over here, the stock clutch cost not even a tenth of the TRD single plate. I'd upgrade only if i went for larger turbos.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all the replies guys!

So, I won't have to upgrade if I'm not pulling hard and slipping?

How long does it hold for just citycruising and some high speed races then?

Thanx for your time...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I went BPU at 40,000 and the clutch went AWOL at 60,000 with very few drag launches although I did plenty of runs from 2nd gear up. It's just a fact of life if you are going to fully enjoy your car. You won't miss the stocker once you upgrade!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mine has lasted about 50-60 passes at the dragstrip about half on dr's and about 4000 BPU miles/38000 miles total. I can't seem to slip it very well even when I try so maybe thats why its holding up pretty well. If I could launch like Wayne I'm sure it would be toast by now. :) I launch at about 5k with what I call a quick dump and can typically get 1.9x's short times. Still looking for a 1.8x but when I hit it consistantly I will probably be clutch shopping as well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wayne, have you ever run your car when it was about 40-50 deg. out? If you do you will most likely have the BPU (no plus's) record, if you don't already. Did you do any plus's yet?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so basically, it's just "drag till the clutch goes dead"?

That is what I had in mind... Damn, it is soooo hard to have people to learn from and ask here in Sweden:( Well, there is one good guy though, but that's it...

Thanx again for all your replies and please keep them coming.
I need them to decide if I'm going to order a upgraded clutch along with my BPU package...

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hey Ron,
Is that the combo Matt Miller went with? He
has been looking for a good street/strip set-up.
How is the road to single going? Fuel in yet?

Rob,
Thanks! But I seem to remember when we raced
I got a good look at your tail lights. :) No pluses yet.
I still haven't got Toyota to put a new tranny in.
I think if I can stop granny shifting it will pull some
decent numbers. I went to Capitol a few weeks back
when it was in the low 50's. Got 5 runs with traps of
120.3 to 120.7 With good shifts it should go over 121.
Do you hit any of the Md tracks? Maybe I could meet up
with you at one when they open in the spring. Have you
seen some of the numbers Tony is putting down? 11.4's
at 124+ mph. Incredible.
Good to hear from both of you,
Wayne

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
clutch

My stock clutch lasted about a week after going BPU. Could be bad driving or something, but none the less I had to go to a RPS stage III. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ron,
Is that the combo Matt Miller went with? He
has been looking for a good street/strip set-up.
How is the road to single going? Fuel in yet?
------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne,

I'm not sure what Matt is using. I decided to try the wotm disk since the price is a lot cheaper than a twin or triple disk and I haven't heard anything bad about it yet. Fuel system is done. Getting ready to order the clutch. Figured I put in new seals while I'm at it on the crank and trans. I ordered a cage yesterday also. I want to get the clutch in and cage welded by the end of the month. Should be ordering the single in Feb. Mike P. just got a PHR stage 2. He's getting ready to do the fuel also. At 14 psi it was pretty fast on the street, but we looked at his injector duty cycle with my techtom and he was in the 90% range.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WayneCar said:

Rob,
Thanks! But I seem to remember when we raced
I got a good look at your tail lights. :) No pluses yet.
I still haven't got Toyota to put a new tranny in.
I think if I can stop granny shifting it will pull some
decent numbers. I went to Capitol a few weeks back
when it was in the low 50's. Got 5 runs with traps of
120.3 to 120.7 With good shifts it should go over 121.
Do you hit any of the Md tracks? Maybe I could meet up
with you at one when they open in the spring. Have you
seen some of the numbers Tony is putting down? 11.4's
at 124+ mph. Incredible.
Good to hear from both of you,
Wayne
Yea, right Wayne, thanks for trying to build me up but I have the timeslip right here. :) My 2.02 60 ft. vs your 1.78, you left me sitting until you got the false 2nd. Tony's car has always amazed me, I saw him launch his car off idle a couple weeks before he ran that and he did a [email protected]+. I thought he was testing out a NOS system then he disappeared after that one run and I never got to talk to him. I have pulleys now and lowered my car 1.5". Those 2 things did virtually nothing however I did figure out my low boost psi problem, it was the flowmaster. Scavenging the cylinders on a NA car must work OK but trying to scavenge thru a turbo system is not a good idea. With my hoses connected I get 15 psi to redline w/o the muffler and I got 12 psi to redline with it. With the hoses pulled I used to get 15-16 psi to redline, now I get 17-18 psi. This mod definitely helped out. I am going to Cecil as soon as they open, I have to check out there website, maybe I can get another Supra vs LS1 meet setup in March. That was a good one last year, I didn't even know you at the time though. Nice hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
"maybe I can get another Supra vs LS1 meet setup in March. That was a good one last year, I didn't even know you at the time though. Nice hearing from you."

****Rob,
Let me know about the F-Body/Supra
meet. A friend of mine has RATA that is
very active with the eastern f-body chapter.
I'm sure he and his friends would be up
for a meet like that. Damn those automatics
with the aftermarket T/C's cover that first
330' in a hurry. When I raced Harold(the guy
with the RATA) he ran a 12.17 at only 110mph.
If you mess the launch up they are hard to
catch before the finish.
Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can anyone give me estimated costs of replacing the clutch? Parts, labor, etc... Out the door. I'm currently looking at the South Bend clutch. Torn over the 100% Kevlar, and the dual friction.

-DC

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
for a single disk 6 puck RPS or something of that nature you'd probably be looking around a grand for parts and labor. i htink it's 4 or 4.5 hours by the book and the parts (clutch pressure plate and disk will run around 450-500 i think. that's a very rough estimate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts