Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter if its from a Soarer or Supra as long as you get the correct harness and ecu and tranny?

Just wanna make sure before I order this motor.
Thanks ahead of time. I wanna try and get this motor ordered today

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I believe the only difference is the oil pan and pick up... aight peace :chicken:

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
i think the oil pan is different...

goddam u!! culda beaten u to it if u take off that rediculous 60 second rule!!!!:fawk:

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that going to cause a huge problem wit the swap. Is the correct oil pan easily found?

As i mentioned before I dont have the money for the clip. I am just gonna piece shit together as I get it. But for the deal I feel I cant pass it up.

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
yes/no

I would recommand you get a clip but if you can wait a year or two trying to find all the pieces then thats up to you.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could really take a year or two?

Shit, well I wasnt planning on doing anything right away, but was hoping it wont take that long.

I just paid for it a few mins ago. I guess Ill figure it out when the time comes.

I talked to Jarco and they said the A70 clips are far between and when they get them they sell right away.
My only real concern is the harness stuff. Sensors.
I guess where there is a will, there is a way.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'll shed some light on the subject:

The harness WILL!!!! be different. I have a JZX90 harness sitting in my garage right now that is Close to a JZA70 harness but not quite.

The pan, like others stated will be different. Everything that you need can be purchased at Elmhurst or Champion.

I went the "just engine" route. With everything that i planned on doing right out of the box, i can't say that i regret going just engine but there are some Hard to find parts that come with the front clip.

If you have time on your hands and want a Long project then, just engine will work. If you want something a little easier, which after 1 year trying to find parts would be nice, then get a clip from Jarco.

If you want more info on what all is needed look up at the STICKY for the Non Front Clip List, i think your info can be found there. If not, you can contact me and i'll let you know more of my story.

Bryan

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks man. I looked thru that to get a basic idea.

Is there a way to physically look at the motor to tell if its a Soarer motor or A70?
I know its been asked 100x and i spent the last 3 days reading reading reading and one person says this and the other says that. Just hard to find the deffinates

Yours was a Soarer? GOt it working ok after some time then?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
itr206 said:
thanks man. I looked thru that to get a basic idea.

Is there a way to physically look at the motor to tell if its a Soarer motor or A70?
I know its been asked 100x and i spent the last 3 days reading reading reading and one person says this and the other says that. Just hard to find the deffinates

Yours was a Soarer? GOt it working ok after some time then?

No, mine was not a Soarer. And no, mine is not up and running yet. Grrr.....

However, what i'm doing to mine to my knowledge has wet to be done. One other person Might have done it, but i have yet to recieve confirmation from them.

If you want to stick with the stock twins, the get a clip! If you're planning on going single in the very Near future, you Can go Just Engine.

I did was able to get a wiring harness, you should be able to as well. After that, then all the sensors will connect and all you'll really need is th oil pan stuff. Which off the top of my head runs about $400, i think...

Oh, and depending on what year your car is you'll need a new X-Member.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 91.
I guess its being reversed now. He said I hate to do this to you, but can you send me another $50-75 for shipping. I said I found out that if its not a Supra motor I will have to mod more shit and Im not willig to give more money then we agreed on and then have to mod more shit becuase he didnt give me a definative answer on the car it came from.
So fuggit. I guess thats that. :(

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know of a deff way to look at the pics to see if it is an A70 or Soarer motor?

That way I know for the future since no one seems to know on Ebay and such
I found another one for a decent price, the only diff I can see is this one has the TRC sticker on the manifold?

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he said he has both. So I guess ill take it. I hope this fucker aint pulling my chain to make a sale.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can you tell by the dipstick positioning if its rear sump or not?
Makes sense right? lol
Help me out here guys.

Here are the pics of the motor I paid for.

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
Picture no show

Also keep in mind that you'll loose twice as much money on the engine alone than the clip when the swap is completed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I did my 1JZ swap from a soarer, the engines are essentially identical, including sump configuration and bellhousing (if you get a soarer manual clip through some freak chance) What isnt the same is the soarer uses a sidemount IC, and clutch fan, and a 2 plug ECU, so you would need to use a JZA70 harness or do your own R&D on that, as well as sourcing an IC + pipes. Additionally you cannot use the suarer downpipe as its not long enough, it terminates at the bellhouisng. You will also need all the little ancillary bits like PS reservoir, though you can bend the brackets on the JZZ30 unit to fit, and a hydro fan setup if you wanna go that way. Overall its a huge hastle over a JZA70 clip BUT the chances of the engine being abused are much lower.

EDIT: the engine brackets are also different so you need to get JZA70 brackets.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
Soarer and JZA70 pan is the SAME boys and girls...
its the JZX90 that is different

now wiring harnesses are a different story :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts