Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research and it looks like the 2jzgte came with the vvti starting in 1997. Just wanted to know if the 1997-1998 supra came with the 2jzgte vvti engine.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
The VVT-i 2JZ-GTE was only ever sold in Japan unfortunately. The 1998 US-spec Supra N/A got the VVT-i 2JZ-GE (which is interesting because they didn't in Japan - the N/A never got VVT-i).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The VVT-i 2JZ-GTE was only ever sold in Japan unfortunately. The 1998 US-spec Supra N/A got the VVT-i 2JZ-GE (which is interesting because they didn't in Japan - the N/A never got VVT-i).

Jeff
Jeff, are you suggesting that the US got the cool engine for a change? Very odd...

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
Was this for emission control reasons, perhaps?
Precisely. The US Spec OBD-II ECU and everything was sorted out for the VVTi 2JZ-GE for its use in the SC300 and GS300 (Soarer and Aristo) so they just used that. Good to see you guys

·
From the land down under
4,104 Posts
Good to see you back here, too :)

This place has been a ghost town since the "upgrade" and has really been missing input from knowledgeable members such as yourself

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
It makes sense why the 98 N/A got VVT-i in the US. It also makes sense why the TT didn’t get VVT-i in the US.

What doesn’t make as much sense is why the Supra N/A didn’t get VVT-i in Japan. Everything else with the 2JZ-GE got VVT-i in Japan by 1998.

Jeff

·
From the land down under
4,104 Posts
I thought the same thing, Jeff.

The only reason I could think of, and I know this is a stretch, is that they had thousands of non vvti engines already assembled, just sitting there, and decided to utilise them? Thoughts?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
It’s not how Toyota does manufacturing. They order and manufacture parts as the production line needs them, they don’t sit around.

Another interesting fact that came up in another thread but is interesting in the context of this thread as well is that the USA-spec ‘98 N/A cars got the returnless fuel system like other North American 2JZ-GE VVT-i cars did, while Japanese N/A’s didn’t (or any TT’s).

Jeff

·
From the land down under
4,104 Posts
I thought that they had perhaps forseen continuing sales of the A80 past 2002, and had built engines for that, but thanks for clearing that up, Jeff.

Does the returnless fuel setup, have any benefits over the return system? Less total heat put into the fuel, perhaps?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts