Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do alot of Ebay and noticed alot of people selling Stock supra Ct26's stating they will fit MR2 turbos and celica alltracs is this true???

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Sort of true. The turbo to manifold flange will technically fit, but the mr2/st185 use twin entry turbo, and the supra doesn't. This means the manifold outlet is split into two and so is the turbine housing of the ct26. Not to mention the turbo outlet flange to the DP is totally different. You can, however, use the supra ct26 center cartridge and fit it into the mr2/st185 turbine housing. But, the supra's compressor wheel is much bigger than that of the mr2/st185. So you must bore out the mr2/st185 compressor housing. You can't use the supra compressor housing because the wastegate and water pipe brackets on the mr2/st185 will not bolt onto it. And you can't use the supra wastegate, either.

Christian

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
the all trac celica has the SAME ct-26 as the supra's except the water and oil passage pipings. they are slightly different and the elbow is designed a little different , this all trac celica is a 3S-GTE motor with watercooled intercooler mounted on top of the motor. I am a TSTC student and they have this all trac celica motor with tranny and driveaxle with 4 wheels on a display in the snack room in the mechanic building. its nice looking. I always walk by and anaylize the ct-26 on that 3S-GTE motor. you could actually reach your hand out and touch it. the turbo even spins freely!! lol but the whole turbo is spray painted in silver (ugh) , its a nice motor to look at.. I wish they could up a 7M or a 2JZ motor up for display too! :p

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Yea, thats the st165 motor. I wish they would've put the water/air IC in the st185's in the US. But they didn't give us that option. We always get jacked.

Christian

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
the all trac celica has the SAME ct-26 as the supra's except the water and oil passage pipings.
It's not the same, there are slight differences.

The ST165 has a bigger wastegate flapper door (a little know fact). It is theorized that the exhaust A/R is smaller, but there is no data. You can physically see the snail section being larger on the supra.

The supra compressor wheel is a bit bigger than the stock 3SGTE.

As mentioned you can swap around housings and make things work.

If you wanted to be real strange, you could put a 3RD gen turbo (CT20b) in a supra, which has a larger compressor wheel and ceramic housing. Not really worth the effort though, when you can easily upgrade your stocker.

PS. I dont have 4 all tracs!! ( I just have 3 ).

S

·
0 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
... The ST165 has a bigger wastegate flapper door (a little know fact). It is theorized that the exhaust A/R is smaller, but there is no data. You can physically see the snail section being larger on the supra...
This may interest you.

I have the stock Supra CT-26, and the dual inlet Mr2/Celica CT-26.

This is how I tested the A/R ratio:

I took a leaf blower, and spun the turbine side of the turbocharger through the turbo inlet. Then measuring the air volume coming out of the compressor side, I could determine how much air was flowing. I also measured air resistance leading into the turbine side, to see which one is more restrictive.

I used the same cartridge for the Supra and the Celica turbos, so the compressor wheels/housings would be the same size.

The results suprised me, as the flow and "back-pressure" is basically identicall on both units. The Celica wastegate flow tons more though (no surprise).

Is this a valid test? I'm not 100% sure, but it is the best I could figure out, since I was worried about too small of an A/R with the Celica unit (that I'm putting on my Supra).

Cheers.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
so the compressor wheels/housings would be the same size.
But they are not. THe supra compressor is actually quite a bit bigger than the celica ct26. So I wonder if that test is valid.

Christian

S

·
0 Posts
Racefiend said:
But they are not. THe supra compressor is actually quite a bit bigger than the celica ct26. So I wonder if that test is valid.

Christian
A/R ratio only refers to the exhaust housing/turbine, and is independant of the compressor side.

Am I missing something here?

By only changing the exhaust housing, and keeping everything else the same, it tests the component in question, and nothing else.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
But the larger compressor would have a larger rotating mass, and I would think it may throw off your readings due to resistance changes. How much I don't know.

Christian

S

·
0 Posts
Racefiend said:
But the larger compressor would have a larger rotating mass, and I would think it may throw off your readings due to resistance changes. How much I don't know.

Christian
What?

A/R refers to the TURBINE inlet Area to Radius ratio. It is a simplified measuring method, to determine how fast a turbine will rotate, given a certain volume of air acting upon it, in steady state conditions.

It has nothing to do with rotating inertia, compressor side specifics, etc etc.

I think you may be using the A/R deffinition out of context.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
The point I'm trying to make is youre comparing the air being blown through two exhaust housings. That air being blown through the housings is going to spin the turbo. If the compressor wheel on one is bigger, that will cause it to have more rotating mass, causing the entire shaft, turbine and all, to be harder to spin. This would cause more resistance and may cause a change in the amount of air you see at the other end. Im not saying this has anything to do with A/R ratios, just that it may have an effect on the amount of air that you are measuring using your test method. It may be .000001 cfm for all I know. It may be 10. Just saying it's a variable.

Christian

S

·
0 Posts
Fair enough.

Just figured I'd share some info, as I didn't really intend to discuss the nitty gritty of it all.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts