Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the MVP section but Dusty was probably too busy to see it, so no big deal I'll just ask the rest of you :)

I'm looking at buying a short shifter from another forum member but I am wondering does that void the warranty? My friend has broke his a time or 2 and I read how others occassionally break them.............not a huge deal but I wouldn't want to spend the money for one and not being able to send it back in. Care to shed some light on the subject?

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
Hmmmm, that'd be nice to know. I wonder if theres some sort of paper work that shows the warrenty so you could use that to prove it, or if its something like a craftmans tool, just bring it in and swap it out no matter who you are with no questions. :dunno:

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
I would like to know too.
A friend of mine hooked me up with a barely used B&M first gen.
What if i break it? Can i get it replaced?

TIA,
John

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Dusty says yes, however it's up to the authorized vendor it was originally purchased from on how prompt they want to do it since you never bought it directly from you.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my friend did it, he originally went through MVP but when he broke his he just sent it directly to B&M............didn't go through the vendor at all, so are you sure about that Kevin?

S

·
0 Posts
I've broken both the new version as well as the old, both times I went through B&M direct, it was fast and easy. What you'll need is a copy of the reciept, they asked me to write up what happened when it broke, include the broken pieces, they then give you a confirmation number over the phone you write on your discription of what happend and send it in with all the pieces in the orginal box if you still have it. They send you another one and good to go. At no point did they really verify who you are, so if you buy one from another member, just see if you can get a copy of the reciept. Thats pretty much the process on both replacements...

·
stock
288 Posts
i broken mine and gotten screwed over. i was over the phone w/ b&m guy. he never gave me a confirmation #. i told him what happened and he said to just mail it back to them w/ my info and they'll replace it.....3 months later i called them to see the status, they claimed they never recieved it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
interesting thread. i recently installed a B&M shifter in my supra as well - luckily i havent had the misfortune as some others with it breaking. however-- i've noticed a bit more play in the shifter as of late. it's been in the car for a few months and has about 1k miles on it. when i first installed it, it had a very mechanical feel to it - very precise, and when moving the shifter from left to right, it had that perfect amount of tension so it popped itself back into dead center neutral when letting go of it. now the shifter feels like it's lost some of it's tension - it's still precise as a mofo, and i hardly miss a gear, but i'm wondering if other's have experienced this "loss of tension" that i'm experiencing. i'm also wondering if these new veilside billet shifter bushings will help out with this.

sorry, didnt meant to go off topic here, but i figured it was relevant in some way or another. :hug:

-jim

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I use to send in stuff all the time to B&M without a reason and they would replace the parts no questions asked. Then again we were an authorized dealer with them.

·
stock
288 Posts
rte. 17 said:
interesting thread. i recently installed a B&M shifter in my supra as well - luckily i havent had the misfortune as some others with it breaking. however-- i've noticed a bit more play in the shifter as of late. it's been in the car for a few months and has about 1k miles on it. when i first installed it, it had a very mechanical feel to it - very precise, and when moving the shifter from left to right, it had that perfect amount of tension so it popped itself back into dead center neutral when letting go of it. now the shifter feels like it's lost some of it's tension - it's still precise as a mofo, and i hardly miss a gear, but i'm wondering if other's have experienced this "loss of tension" that i'm experiencing. i'm also wondering if these new veilside billet shifter bushings will help out with this.

sorry, didnt meant to go off topic here, but i figured it was relevant in some way or another. :hug:

-jim
check your bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage. mine was loose and i fixed mine by tightening it. my b&m took over a year to break. i was on the freeway and the shifter just came off......i have a video of it at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts