Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think PT screwed up my CT26 upgrade (pics)

I asked for a TO4E 60-trim with a 7-degree clip.

This does not look clipped at all:

The service tag on the turbo is written pretty sloppy--it says "60-7," but the 7 is so sloppy it looks like a 1. I am quite sure I ended up with a 60-1 with no clip. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a 60-1 that looks just like mine though (scroll down for pics). Note the 10-degree clip on the wheel. PT definately screwed this up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right alphaoenz. So I got an unclipped 60-trim. Back to PT it goes and it better be at their expense.

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
I just grabbed my 60-1 (before the pic was posted) that is not a 60-1. 6 vs. 7 blades and it's not clipped.
Send it back.
I once sent in a t72 ball bearing with 4" inlet. I got back a t66 with no ball bearing and a 3" inlet. True i knew it would be a t66 and have no ball bearing, but the 3" inlet. Come on. It stayed a 3" another 200 bucks would have gotten the 4". But common sense man.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. This is EXACTLY why I don't trust taking my car to a mechanic. Even with clearly detailed and typed instructions and two phone calls, they still managed to screw it up. Everyone makes mistakes, but everytime I pay people to do any type of work it never turns out right. Maybe it's just my luck...the fact of the matter is it's not what I paid for.

To make matters worse, my car is 60 miles away and since it won't be running this weekend, the car will have to sit there even longer.

I'll let you guys know what PT says tomorrow.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,236 Posts
Thats too bad... You should really tell them that bad words go far in the supra community

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
So what wheel is that then? That's interesting.... Did you specify 60-1 compressor? It looks like a T04E "60" trim compressor. If that's the case, the map is fairly similar to a "60-1" compressor. I'm just going on memory here, so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

- Hams.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As others mentioned, it is a T04E 60-trim wheel (6 blades as opposed to the 60-1's 7 blades) as I specified. Where they went wrong was forgetting to clip it. Even the service tag attached to the turbo said 60-7 (with the degree symbol) in their writing. They evidently forgot to do it.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Hmm,
PT usually doesn't charge for the clip, so I'd call them and ask them if you can try out the turbo to see if you like it without the clip. If not, maybe they'll let you send it back for the clip. If you've got, it wouldn't hurt to try it unclipped, maybe you'll like the quicker spool like we were talking about.

- Hams

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I'm with Dr. J. on this one. Clipping is bad on the CT or any turbo. If you want a larger exhaust side, buy a bigger turbo.
The 60 trim should be fine, but the best wheel out there right now it appears is the GT61. (Only slightly larger, but moves more air at lower RPM levels, so you see boost lower in your power band.)
I have a stock uncracked CT laying on the garage floor that I'd love to see a unclipped exhaust side with a new GT wheel on the compressor side. Should spool up like crazy, and still almost pull to 6k before the exhaust side cuts off the fun.
I think that some basic porting on the stock exhaust housing and cleaning up the area around the WG hole, even enlarging it slightly would help with high RPM flow so the stock CT does not choke too badly before say 6200 rpm. (About where I should be shifting anyway.)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
adjuster said:

I have a stock uncracked CT laying on the garage floor that I'd love to see a unclipped exhaust side with a new GT wheel on the compressor side. Should spool up like crazy, and still almost pull to 6k before the exhaust side cuts off the fun.
I think that some basic porting on the stock exhaust housing and cleaning up the area around the WG hole, even enlarging it slightly would help with high RPM flow so the stock CT does not choke too badly before say 6200 rpm. (About where I should be shifting anyway.)
just get a sp61gt bolt on

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Obviously you need some surface area on the exhaust side to (1) spool the turbo at a lower RPM and (2) to be able to spin the increased mass of your (now) larger compressor wheel. But with it clipped, the exhaust is less likely to back up between the exhaust wheel and the exhaust manifold at high RPMs, right?

This all has me wondering how badly an unclipped 60T will choke on the top end. I would like the motor to pull strong to at least 6200-6300 RPMs without feeling like a pushrod V8 motor running out of revs.

I would LOVE to hear some opinions on this. I know Bishop wishes his 57-trim was clipped...

3,796 Posts
My 60-1 upgrade is clipped 10 degrees and it pulls nicely all the way to 6500. :)

P

·
0 Posts
I've noticed a few people said it's bad to clip it, but haven't mentioned why. What are the downsides? Does it weaken the turbo?

paddlenbike: Please keep us updated and good luck getting them to correct this!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts