Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I made this post last night:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4295748#post4295748

I tried the fix given to me, but I have a worse problem now. When I pulled my spark plugs, 1 - 4 were SOAKED in oil, and thats why its been misfiring. After all the stuff that just happened, could any of that have caused this and what is the DEFINATE problem and solution if there is one. Im trying to be nieve and not believe I have blown piston rings, I dont have anything else but this car, I have a 7mgte block that I heard I can put with this car how it is, but I dont have the means to do a swap at my house and no where for free that I know of :(

Any help?

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
ok, new information I forgot to add.

it has new rear main seals, front main seals (think thats wht he said) and new cam seals. He said its DEF not the piston rings, they were changed not that long ago. I forgot to add that my oil pressure is stable and hasnt gone unstable through all of this, and Im not burning oil, nor is there any less on my dipstick from when I last filled it (1500 miles ago)

He was thinking (my friend who sold it to me) that maybe there was some oil in the valley and coolant got in there from my coolant disaster and thinned the oil letting it pass into the plugs. There was oil pretty much all over the bottom of the first 4 boots and around them in the holes. Also in the area for the 4th plug, ther was this little black ting that looked like it may be a plug, but I cant get it out of there with my fingers.

Any ideas guys?

EDIT: I was thinking, take out the plugs and use my pump to suck out any fluids in the cylinders and then wipe everything up that I can, see if that fixes it. Also I checked plugs 1 & 2 for misfire, it wasnt them, its either 3 or 4, gonna check this later.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yup get yourself some new valve cover gaskets from your local parts store and you should be good to go.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so to remove the valve covers I need to take off the throttle body and the plenum? (think thats what its called)

Also, how do I remove the oil already in my cylinder? Just suck it out with a pump?

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts
go to a dollar general store and buy an oven baster it works great for sucking out oil in those hard to reach spots.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HacksMKIII said:
go to a dollar general store and buy an oven baster it works great for sucking out oil in those hard to reach spots.

I have a shop pump with a hose small enough, I bought it when I owned my firebird to change the tranny fluid, was a weird operation.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
supraphile said:
ANd tightening them once won't fix it. You'll retighten them for as long as you own the car....
Most of the gaskets and seals have been replaced in that motor when the original headgasket blew on cylinder 6. It was a minor blow, had it towed to my uncles shop and we replaced the headgasket, front and rear main seals, cam cover seals, piston rings, various other gaskets and O-Rings, power steering pump, water pump, idle valve controller, new plugs and wires. Also got a new rack and pinion. That all happend about 8,000 miles before I sold the car to a friend.

Car is an 86.5 N/A that has probably around 117K original miles on the body now. The engine has probaly around 75K miles on it now and was in very good condition. Right before I sold the car I got a hold of a GTE block with various other things along with an R154 to throw in there as well. Was going to get those rebuilt and put in the car, but at the time money was a concern. Couple weeks later I got laid off my job and really couldnt do anything with the car. I had just bought a new car before then too. I had no room for the car so it just sat a while. (Couple months) I did start it and drove it around the block every week or so.

That's the background on it, I originally thought the distributor got soaked when the coolant hose popped beofre, but since there was oil in the spark plugs and I think he cleaned it up now. I suggested to him to get new plugs and wires. I think either his plugs are fouled or his wires are bad which is still causing it to misfire.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
do a compression test if your not sure. change the plugs, wires. soak up the oil and suck it out of the piston.
just take off the throttle linkage and the y pipe and unscrew the valve covers and take the gasket off and put a new one on and you should prolly buy new hex bolts or on my car i have 10mm bolts in mine and tighten to factory torque specs.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the valve cover gasket, $15 and change, not bad. I think tomorrow Im gonna strip everything off, clean up and fix all the oil leakage and Im thinking I might paint the valve covers. its still misfiring at the moment, Ill keep you guys posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts