Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! yesterday I was out driving hard with my supra. really hard. in the end a radiator hose broke and I had to tow the car home. now I have fixed the hose but the car does not want to go on all cylinders when it gets hot. if I rev it up carefully, it goes well. but if I rev fast, it doesn’t run right

what I tried.
good compression, new spark plugs. replace fuel filter.

could it be dirty injectors? Maybe try a leakdown test? Any thoughts?

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
577 Posts
What was the sequence of events? Did the car shut off because of overheating? Or did you see all the steam and immediately turn off? I would scope the intake runners. Are you GTE or GE? What were your compression numbers?

·
From the land down under
5,097 Posts
Was it a radiator hose, or a heater hose that blew?

If it was a heater hose at the rear of the engine, perhaps the water leaked down into the spark plug valley, and the coils are wet?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Unplug the connector to each coil 1 by 1 until you get no change in how the car idles. That should tell you which cylinder is down. Hopeully its just a bad coil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the sequence of events? Did the car shut off because of overheating? Or did you see all the steam and immediately turn off? I would scope the intake runners. Are you GTE or GE? What were your compression numbers?
Its a ge. I shut the car Off because of the steam.
Compression was 220-225 on all six.

It was a hose in the back of the engine, it was full of water in the spark plug valley. But I sucked all the water out and changed the plugs. It’s a ge so no coils.

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
577 Posts
Okay, that sounds like a short. Disconnect your connectors and spray them with QD spray.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Since its a GE.

Put the timing gun on #1 spark plug wire, have someone rev the motor up and watch the flashes for consitency. Put the timing gun on #2, rev the motor up and watch the flashes for consitency, put the timing gun on #3..... etc.

Thats the first thing id try, but im just a dummy who likes to pretend i have a laser gun.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,123 Posts
Could be carbon tracking somewhere on a plug or the plug leads.
As mentioned prior, clean and dry thoroughly and apply di-electric grease to keep moisture out of connections.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts