Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i left my car at my parent's place while i moved to NYC.
Upon returning I find that my dog decides to use my hood roof and
fenders as a scratching post.

Some scratches are all the way down to the primer (car was repainted Dec '04).
I know it will not look flawless, but what do you guys recomend to at least remove the not so bad scratches.

I dont have a pic of it yet, but imagine someone keying the hell out of your car basically.

I will be getting it painted in the next 3 months, but that is after i am done with the 2J swap.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
560 Posts
Damn that sucks big time. I hate when my car is just dirty, but scratches :mad: Any idea who's dog it was? Obviously it wasn't the dog's fault they don't know any better. But if its one of those fortunate situations where you don't know the owner, i'd say its time for a "talk" ;)

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately the owners are my parents.... i had a "talk" they will pay for half of the pant job... so that's cool.... but im not painting it for a few months.... my bank needs to recouperate from my 2jz single swap....

i was wondering if there was any buffing trick i can try to clean it up a bit.

the paint is a black meatallic....

im thinking of going with that new Charger Black metallic next time around.

-ian

·
Registered
934 Posts
cassio said:
i had a "talk" they will pay for half of the pant job...
does the pant job come with a handjob too? hehe j/k

sorry for ur issue.. rather then wasting ur time doing a ghetto fix... why not save time/money by preping it for the new paint?
assuming you will be going for the bang for ur buck places like maaco, they dont really do much preping at all. why not just
take this opportunity to improve the result later down the line.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ the car was painted not over a year ago, all body work has been done as far as that goes.

I would like to have the car looking decent in the time between now and a few months when i get it painted....

i may try a buffer and some rubbing compound and see what happens..

ill check out autotopia.com after i drop the 2j in and see what those guys suggest.

not looking for a ghetto fab fix... if that were the case id whip out the old sharpie and go to town.

ill post some before and after pics when i buff this deal. (maybe a few weeks)

-ian

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
IT SUCKS! A few weeks ago i got pulled over (THANK GOD IN my sister's eclipse and not the supra) and the cop had his dog search my car... i had claw marks all over the back bumper!!!!

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Ok, here's my advice.

Scratches to the primer cannot be buffed back, as there is no paint to remove scratches from. Areas where the paint was scratched, but not through the paint can be substancially corrected if there is enough paint left.

You can try your hand at touch up paint for scratches to the primer. Get a bottle from your local dealer (I am assuming you are a factory color) and apply the paint thinly! Make sure to wipe down the area with a wax and grease remover, then go over the area with the paint (several coats may be needed). After letting the paint cure (give it a day, no need to rush), you can wetsand the area down. Use a 1500 grit or higher (1500-->2000-->2500) and follow with higher grits if you can find them, this will reduce the amount of buffing needed to polish the area back to luster. DO NOT be too aggressive sanding. The idea is to get the surface as even as possible and remove any high spots where the paint was applied.

As far as buffing, you will need a compound and a cutting pad for your rotary (Using a PC will work as long as you can get 2000 or higher grit, but requires much more work to remove wetsanding marks). Make a stop by your local bodyshop supply store to get some compounds or pads if you don't have them. Typically they are privately owned stores and the owner is helpful, so don't be afraid to talk to him and get advice if needed.

A "walmart special" buffer will not cut it in this case. Areas with scratches but are not to primer can be buffed out in the same manner as your wetsanding marks, they just don't necessarily need to be wetsanded.

Be careful with an aggressive pad/compound on a rotary. There is a degree of skill involved, and if you are unfamiliar with working the machine you could do some damage.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ good tips.... one thing.. paint isn't factory

my painter skipped town shortly after finishing my car and i have no record of th eoriginal color.

i may try the buffing in the areas that the scratches aren't primer deep..

other than that im going to have to drive around in a fucked up car for a few months.

im going to get looks from people like damn that mother fucker has some enemies.... when in fact my dog just ruined my parade.

thi pic shows some of the metallic

will get more pics when im back by the car.

-ian

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
i know this wont solve your paint brobs.. but ever think of taking the dog out back.. Old Yeller style?

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
Ckanderson said:
i know this wont solve your paint brobs.. but ever think of taking the dog out back.. Old Yeller style?
LMAO!!!!!!! :eek4dance

-meng

1 - 13 of 13 Posts